The NRL hits Las Vegas, where results on and off the field could be explosive

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt a successful venture and a great spectacle but knowing how the yanks can sell ice blocks to Eskimo’s and P V’L only focussed on $$$$$$ I’d be worried of more changes to the game after reading some of the US reporters comments that could turn Rugby League into NFL coverage.

One US reporter noticed and couldn’t believe that the time clock didn’t stop after a try / touchdown and that they didn’t go to a commercial break.

V’Landys should be applauded for this venture but V’Landys is, was and forever will be about making $$$$$$ anyone he can.

Hopefully he doesn’t go down that path as it will destroy the game.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt a successful venture and a great spectacle but knowing how the yanks can sell ice blocks to Eskimo’s and P V’L only focussed on $$$$$$ I’d be worried of more changes to the game after reading some of the US reporters comments that could turn Rugby League into NFL coverage.

One US reporter noticed and couldn’t believe that the time clock didn’t stop after a try / touchdown and that they didn’t go to a commercial break.

V’Landys should be applauded for this venture but V’Landys is, was and forever will be about making $$$$$$ anyone he can.

Hopefully he doesn’t go down that path as it will destroy the game.
Yeah, I get a feeling Vlandys will. If Fox want to open this game up to the US TV market, then small things like this will be something NRL need to be open to....

TBH I am not against the stopping of the clock after a try. Doesn't really make sense why the clock still runs anyway? In all sports in US the clock is stopped, in soccer there is stoppage time, it's only NRL and RU that there clock still runs and there's no stoppage time to make up for it.

I reckon if you analyzed it an 80min game on average would have at least 20mins of dead time.

If they want to get more bang for their buck and increase the minimum viable product then these are adjustments they have to make. US sport is the best in the world in terms of $$$ and NRL should be all ears.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
45,000+ tickets had been sold, the roof was never meant to be closed but the weather was atrocious outside, so many stayed away!

Before you say I bet most were freebies, Allegiance doesn't allow free tickets for games at the stadium more then the usual 1000 they give away to sponsors and the like, all were paid (Reported in multi media outlets)!

The lower 2 tiers are where the majority of the seating is and some were in level 3 also... the crowd looked 40,000!
Don't know why you seem to have hatred for this venture in your heart!

The game was shown live on fox sports 1 in the US... It's got more coverage for NRL in Australia and overseas then they could ever have imagined (Even in Victoria and AFL states)! Only blight of the day was Spencer Leniu the muppet!
It will be interesting to see what the ratings were for it over there. All the backslapping and hype won't mean a great deal if nobody over there watched it.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the ratings were for it over there. All the backslapping and hype won't mean a great deal if nobody over there watched it.
Latest is it was a near fail.

With all the work done to get this thing up and running the IDIOTS forgot to realize the games started at 9:30pm and 11:30pm on the eastern side of the country so the numbers were obviously low. That's just dumb not to start it 2 hrs earlier.. dumb dumb dumb.

On the other side of the country the game was delayed 17min due to a COLLEGE basketball game going into OT.

There was also close to no news coverage about the event across the country so nobody has any idea it was even on.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

With all the work done to get this thing up and running the IDIOTS forgot to realize the games started at 9:30pm and 11:30pm on the eastern side of the country so the numbers were obviously low. That's just dumb not to start it 2 hrs earlier.. dumb dumb dumb.

On the other side of the country the game was delayed 17min due to a COLLEGE basketball game going into OT.

There was also close to no news coverage about the event across the country so nobody has any idea it was even on.
If were to believe Fox Australia coverage here you'd be convinced it was bigger than the super bowl. I guess when you're the the US broadcaster AND you happen to own one of the teams playing you'd do whatever talking up you could.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t really care if the Bulldogs get a Vegas start or not. Certainly wouldn’t be giving up a home game like we seem to have at Magic Round every year, except 2024.

Who goes next year?

Penrith and Melbourne are the previous 2 Premiership winning teams.

Parramatta always seem to be in favour in the corridors of power.

The other one will probably be another Queensland team like the Cowboys.

The Warriors are a possibility too after virtually saving the comp during COVID, which hasn’t been acknowledged by those in high places.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t really care if the Bulldogs get a Vegas start or not. Certainly wouldn’t be giving up a home game like we seem to have at Magic Round every year, except 2024.

Who goes next year?

Penrith and Melbourne are the previous 2 Premiership winning teams.

Parramatta always seem to be in favour in the corridors of power.

The other one will probably be another Queensland team like the Cowboys.

The Warriors are a possibility too after virtually saving the comp during COVID, which hasn’t been acknowledged by those in high places.
Will it also comes down to who wants to go? People on here saying everyone is desperate to be a part. Are they really though? (i'm genuinely curious).

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Will it also comes down to who wants to go? People on here saying everyone is desperate to be a part. Are they really though? (i'm genuinely curious).
Yeah good point. I wouldnt be surprised if there are clubs who don’t want to go.

What will be interesting to see will be how those 4 teams go in round 2. They have 2 weeks to recover from jet lag, which is usually enough.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If were to believe Fox Australia coverage here you'd be convinced it was bigger than the super bowl. I guess when you're the the US broadcaster AND you happen to own one of the teams playing you'd do whatever talking up you could.
What ever the bottom line turns out to be (both in terms of increased popularity for the game OR any increased revenue earned), You can bet it will be talked up and exagurated to the moon and beyond.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe Lachie was just caught up in the moment? Safe to say if it wasnt for Daddy their wouldnt be an empire?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned that earlier. Yet it was in reference to the players want to go, and understandably.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it hinges on viewership as u mentioned, yet also there not expecting much this first year, was more that it grows year on year.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So any reports of players fucking up in Vegas off the park?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Lachie was just caught up in the moment? Safe to say if it wasnt for Daddy their wouldnt be an empire?
Not quite right.

It was Rupert's father Keith who started the empire and virtually turned the course of the Gallipoli campaign of the first world war, by reporting back to the then prime minister of Australia about what was really happening as what was previously being reported was far from the truth.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
V'landys main purpose for Vegas was not to win over the American public with the game, it's very hard to change people's views with NFL so entrenched in the US from grass roots level.

His main aim is for gambling $$$$$$. Unlike Australia you cannot bet online or app. They don't have TAB's or Betting agencies like we see with saturation advertising of gambling companies on prime time TV.

That, however, is changing and V'landys, with a background in wagering, only knows this to well. Hence why Vegas was the preferred destination in getting this over in the US.

As he said to Danny Weidler, at Sydney airport, when he jetted out to Vegas months ago to finalize details on this venture, Weidler asked "what do say to those who feel this has wider ramifications with problem gambling". V'landys response, "we're not encouraging anyone to bet, if they do bet it should be within their means, it should be fun".

That's the typical response of a businessman who ignores real issues, such as addiction. The guy is a parasite.

A parasite that was awarded an AOM for services to the Racing Industry in which he has increased the number of races from 8 to 10 on Saturdays added multi-million-dollar races in recent years and introduced a lottery type game where NSW TAB players can buy tickets for $5 each in the hope, they can share in the prizemoney of a horse winning one of these multi-million-dollar races. Key word being "lottery". Since it was introduced, huge syndicates have been formed to buy as many tickets as they can, yes there is no limit on how many one can buy, and more often than not it is the same people who get the chance while many simply donate money they can probably ill afford.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority but FFS Ezra Mam to be absolutely distraught and crying after being called a monkey ??? Leniu is a moron but is it worth a month or more suspension?
What is Teddy called Carrigan white trash ? Would we see the same hysteria ?
If Teddy called mam a dirty black c&nt then fair enough. But another coloured man saying monkey is different.
Leniu isn’t a racist just a dumb fwit

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority but FFS Ezra Mam to be absolutely distraught and crying after being called a monkey ??? Leniu is a moron but is it worth a month or more suspension?
What is Teddy called Carrigan white trash ? Would we see the same hysteria ?
If Teddy called mam a dirty black c&nt then fair enough. But another coloured man saying monkey is different.
Leniu isn’t a racist just a dumb fwit
You're as funny as the Gronkos supporters in my office claiming that Walsh's blatant shoulder charge shouldn't have even been a penalty.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

That is my concern. It's an outstanding success according to the publicity machine here. But was it even a blip on the radar over there. I realise you have to start somewhere,but we are 10 years away from being relevant