News The moment that sparked Ciraldo shock captaincy call

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It didn’t take long for star Canterbury Bankstown recruit Stephen Crichton to announce himself as the club’s new captain.

When the Bulldogs went on a pre-season army camp in Brisbane prior to Christmas it was only the second week Crichton had been at the club.

But the new recruit made such an impression it got Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo thinking about the best way forward.

The ex-SAS armed forces soldiers who run the Brisbane course were all asked who impressed them the most at the end of the three-day camp.

Unanimously, all said Crichton was the standout leader of the group.

Heading into his second season as Bulldogs head coach Ciraldo knew he had a tough decision to make.

At the forefront of his mind was how often previous co-captains Reed Mahoney and Matt Burton had been forced to front the media and answer tough questions last year.

The Bulldogs finished 15th winning only seven games and there were times where Mahoney and Burton had some zingers thrown at them about the club’s lack of performance.

But the army camp in Brisbane was unequivocal – Crichton had shown his true colours and Ciraldo needed to make a hardline call.

The Bulldogs coach spoke to both Mahoney and Burton about the decision and both understood why the coach was going in a different direction.

The Bulldogs coach then broke the news to the rest of the Canterbury-Bankstown playing group on Thursday.

Crichton will lead the Bulldogs out for the first time on Friday when the club hosts Cronulla in the NRL’s pre-season challenge at the blue and white spiritual home of Belmore Oval.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Critta has always been a leader. He is a good communicator amongst the boys, role model, strong trainer and his media work will improve. He is always the one who leads after game prayers on the field. This is rare for someone so young in Pasifika way. I have always preferred a player to have proved themselves a bulldog before being given the honour of captain but the Critta call by Ciro is a strong call and I think the right one. I’ve got that game day confidence that Critta will lead the boys to a big win tonight at home

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Critta has always been a leader. He is a good communicator amongst the boys, role model, strong trainer and his media work will improve. He is always the one who leads after game prayers on the field. This is rare for someone so young in Pasifika way. I have always preferred a player to have proved themselves a bulldog before being given the honour of captain but the Critta call by Ciro is a strong call and I think the right one. I’ve got that game day confidence that Critta will lead the boys to a big one tonight at home
It's hardly a "shock captaincy call" he ticks all the boxes

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like we have a policy of making the newest player the captain. It seems to weigh heavily on them and affect their natural playing style.

Let's see how Chrichton handles it.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Critta has always been a leader. He is a good communicator amongst the boys, role model, strong trainer and his media work will improve. He is always the one who leads after game prayers on the field. This is rare for someone so young in Pasifika way. I have always preferred a player to have proved themselves a bulldog before being given the honour of captain but the Critta call by Ciro is a strong call and I think the right one. I’ve got that game day confidence that Critta will lead the boys to a big win tonight at home
The fact that he always comes up with the clutch plays will further enhance his role as leader in the club, and players will look to him to take the lead. It's a smart move, and the right move I believe. It's not about who has been at the club the longest, it's about who is best served to lead the club. Critta is the man!!

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that he always comes up with the clutch plays will further enhance his role as leader in the club, and players will look to him to take the lead. It's a smart move, and the right move I believe. It's not about who has been at the club the longest, it's about who is best served to lead the club. Critta is the man!!
Hopefully it releases some pressure from Mahoney and Burto, so we see the best of them

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It didn’t take long for star Canterbury Bankstown recruit Stephen Crichton to announce himself as the club’s new captain.

When the Bulldogs went on a pre-season army camp in Brisbane prior to Christmas it was only the second week Crichton had been at the club.

But the new recruit made such an impression it got Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo thinking about the best way forward.

The ex-SAS armed forces soldiers who run the Brisbane course were all asked who impressed them the most at the end of the three-day camp.

Unanimously, all said Crichton was the standout leader of the group.

Heading into his second season as Bulldogs head coach Ciraldo knew he had a tough decision to make.

At the forefront of his mind was how often previous co-captains Reed Mahoney and Matt Burton had been forced to front the media and answer tough questions last year.

The Bulldogs finished 15th winning only seven games and there were times where Mahoney and Burton had some zingers thrown at them about the club’s lack of performance.

But the army camp in Brisbane was unequivocal – Crichton had shown his true colours and Ciraldo needed to make a hardline call.

The Bulldogs coach spoke to both Mahoney and Burton about the decision and both understood why the coach was going in a different direction.

The Bulldogs coach then broke the news to the rest of the Canterbury-Bankstown playing group on Thursday.

Crichton will lead the Bulldogs out for the first time on Friday when the club hosts Cronulla in the NRL’s pre-season challenge at the blue and white spiritual home of Belmore Oval.
Led by Defense Minister Gus General CC Captain Critta are the Bulldogs Army back ? :tearsofjoy:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully it releases some pressure from Mahoney and Burto, so we see the best of them
I really dont think it was the captaincy that caused their poor form last year. The whole eam played poorly in almost every facet of the game, and as 2 of the star players of the team they simply copped the majority of fans wrath.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really dont think it was the captaincy that caused their poor form last year. The whole eam played poorly in almost every facet of the game, and as 2 of the star players of the team they simply copped the majority of fans wrath.
I wasn't blaming the captaincy for their form, but it certainly adds unnecessary distractions.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking after Christian Crichton when he was at the club is paying dividends now.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have a million different threads on one topic which causes other threads that we are yet to read to be punched down.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surely we dish out a ban on this guy
He's taking the piss
Then again maybe we need him to multiply into a gang of 3 before any action will be taken

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope we can keep Critta for 10 years

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciraldo makes too many decisions off minimal data. wish critta all the best though