News The Mole: 'Massive' rival offer poised to lure $800k Bulldogs star away from Belmore

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it worth keeping him at a reduced salary?
And doubt he'd take way unders anyway.
In a better scenario for us, a kid like Samuel Hughes could of been in our top 30 from the start and improving his craft as a bench front rower in the NRL.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Most likely outcome is he’s challenged and rewarded for hard work by Gus after a reasonable end of season with a 450k contract

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it worth keeping him at a reduced salary?
And doubt he'd take way unders anyway.
In a better scenario for us, a kid like Samuel Hughes could of been in our top 30 from the start and improving his craft as a bench front rower in the NRL.
Determining Thompson’s value is difficult, as it was with Foran, who as history has shown we gave up on too early.

It depends on whether our “unders” is more than the ESL “overs”, or any local offers. Very tricky negotiating, the only way it will work is if there is good faith on both sides.

Thompson being here now would have zero negative effect on Hughes’ development, in fact it could more likely help it sharing Thompson’s international level experience and his training ethics, which are second to none.

Always a Bulldog

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I simply don’t see the downside of signing him again. Props aren’t growing in trees atm

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Determining Thompson’s value is difficult, as it was with Foran, who as history has shown we gave up on too early.

It depends on whether our “unders” is more than the ESL “overs”, or any local offers. Very tricky negotiating, the only way it will work is if there is good faith on both sides.

Thompson being here now would have zero negative effect on Hughes’ development, in fact it could more likely help it sharing Thompson’s international level experience and his training ethics, which are second to none.

Always a Bulldog
The article did state if there's any truth to it, that Wigan's offer is lucrative. Of course what that is, is a wild guess. But it implied that he has a choice and chance when fully fit to prove to himself he's a consistent performer in the NRL. Or secure his future financially back in the super league.
I do find it hard to agree on your point that his presence would benefit the likes of Samuel Hughes. In the last 2 seasons he's barely been on the park and was excused from the club for an extended time to be overseas for personal reasons. I would think the mentoring of the young forwards is better served by the presence of Omeley and Mason.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how the Mole could have reviewed that piece of 'journalism' and not thought I'm really taking the piss here.

"Still remains a key figure ...." you have to play at least a few games to become even just a relevant figure.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are in danger of losing star Englishman Luke Thompson for next season.

Thompson has been sorely missed by the club in the early rounds, sidelined with a serious foot injury suffered at training in February.

But the 27-year-old remains a key figure at Belmore and is expected to be back on the park in a month or so.

Thompson comes off contract at the end of the season and has received a massive four-year deal from the rich Wigan club.

It's money the Bulldogs can't match - despite Thompson's current contract being worth $800,000 a season - so ultimately it will come down to whether he wants to stay in Australia for the lifestyle or return home to take up a deal that will secure his future long-term.

Complicating the situation is that Thompson has two managers - one in the UK and one in Sydney.
LOL The English poodle is leaving ? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
That's 2 added quality props to the team for his price tag.
Any chance of him leaving this year...just asking :blush:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Here's the reality of the matter...
Thompson could still become a leading middle forward, but how many more years do we need before we can determine that ?
Foran was one of the worst if not the worst signing in history at 3 million dollars for 3 years for a broken player/man who's done nothing worth gloating about since leaving us.
I agree on your third point.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hope he stays... Don't understand the hate in this thread. He was excellent in the trials, not his fault he got injured in an accident at training.
I'm with you K Dog. When he actually takes the field, he puts in and quite often he was the only forward going forward. With some help he will be good for us.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From the Dogs site......

Suspensions, concussion and injuries have limited him to basically playing three half seasons and due to the preseason injury this year likely half a year again at best.
Career By Season/

Career By Season
SUMMARYSCORINGATTACKPASSINGDEFENCERUNNING METRESFANTASY
YearPlayedWonLostDrawnWin %TriesGoalsPointsTackle BreaksPost Contact MetresOffloadsTackles MadeMissed TacklesTotal Running MetresAverage Running MetresKick Return MetresTotal PointsAverage Points
Bulldogs
Bulldogs20201028-20%---84426341201,114111.005443543.5
Bulldogs
Bulldogs202115213-13%3-123685113518292,138142.0012081754.5
Bulldogs
Bulldogs202213211-15%---10542545631

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don’t understand the support he gets. He has been a bigger disappointment than TRex.
Everyone's entitled to that opinion. But I'd argue Thompsons effort to his fitness and preparation is better than that of T-Rex. Just unlucky with injury.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He has been a total waste of our salary cap.
Yeah I know injured. What can he do about that.
But shit, we have had our share of salary cap wasters the last 5 seasons.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We dont need any money for a halfback (we have already spent a bucketload on KO) and Critta is coming next year to play fullback. So as i said, replace a forward with a forward, we also need more depth there.
Very true but is KO the answer? Only time will tell. I have watched him play and he has a long way to go in my opinion.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I meant a proper fullback lol. No guarantee Oloapu is going to come good. He has a long way to go.
Very true but is KO the answer? Only time will tell. I have watched him play and he has a long way to go in my opinion.
From my limited watching, Oloapu is totally ready for NRL in many areas but there are other areas where plainly he is not ready. It's not the same as if he needed work in all areas, he absolutely doesn't. He just needs to work on specific things which is much easier for him to learn and implement and much easier for the coaching staff to train. He has also been working hard on his fitness which is a necessity to play the 80 minutes required from a half, he does fade in and out of games at the moment.. This will also help him mentally with the demands on an NRL player, week in week out. His reading and positioning in defence needs work, but his general kicking and forced restarts are good, they just need to happen more often.

Always a Bulldog

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone's entitled to that opinion. But I'd argue Thompsons effort to his fitness and preparation is better than that of T-Rex. Just unlucky with injury.
Preparation and training - no argument. I’m solely talking about performances bro. Both highly paid players who did not offer value. Trex was rightfully ridiculed for his performances but he had a few good performances. Thommo has performed just as poorly, my opinion worse but has a lot more undeserved support in here.