Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Man I miss watching Carrick play.
He started off quite slow at United too and was better later on in his career at United. I remember being frustrated with Carrick being beaten physically when he first signed for us but then he realised he was bigger than other midfieldets and started winning those battles too

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think it's a stop plug move until the next transfer window when they'll most likely bring in a legit CDM
that really is not good enough... Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Michael Carrick etc. and now you have to teach them WHILE they are playing for you

you're f*+#ing Manchester United!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bissouma was the only name I heard during the last window. Is there anyone else that has come up?
No names at the moment. Declan Rice may have been a target last window but the fee Everton wants is being questioned and rice himself is also being questioned, not sure if he's the right fit.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
that really is not good enough... Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Michael Carrick etc. and now you have to teach them WHILE they are playing for you

you're f*+#ing Manchester United!
You've named 4 legendary midfielders and compared mctominay to them. Hardly a fair comparison

Carrick was far from the finished article when he first moved to United.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've named 4 legendary midfielders and compared mctominay to them. Hardly a fair comparison

Carrick was far from the finished article when he first moved to United.
the problem I have is that there are people stating that Ole views McTominay as his Roy Keane (eg. United Stand) which is... somewhat... ludicrous

honestly, fix your '6' and '8' as well as some chemistry issues and you boys are flying

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
the problem I have is that there are people stating that Ole views McTominay as his Roy Keane (eg. United Stand) which is... somewhat... ludicrous

honestly, fix your '6' and '8' as well as some chemistry issues and you boys are flying
I don’t think any of them (Fred, mctominay, vdb, matic, Pogba) are the answer and that the club will eventually end up buying players for that position. Garner has question marks over him too, Hannibal can be a long term 8 but he isn't going to be a full time option until another 4 or so years (he's only 18)

Based on last year's performance of Fred and mctominay, I can understand why the club opted for sancho as a priority and then when a player like varane becomes available you buy him. When a player like Ronaldo becomes available you buy him.

So CDM and CM fell down the pecking order because of who became available on the market.

Fred and mctominay can still play the same role as last season. They're not there to be game winners just do a job at a specific level but haven't performed so far this season.

There's sancho, Bruno, pogba, rashford, Greenwood to provide the creativity and inroads.

This is a club who made do with players like Rafael, John O'Shea's, Giggs, Phil Neville, Alan Smith in midfield. Ie get them to do a specific job and have the rest of your creativity come from other parts of your squad.

And just returning to those 4 players you listed before, Ole hinted at wanting those type of players for midfield but that he didn't have them yet.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
I can understand why the club opted for sancho as a priority and then when a player like varane becomes available you buy him. When a player like Ronaldo becomes available you buy him.

So CDM and CM fell down the pecking order because of who became available on the market.
this is Manchester United oflate

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Ole needs to say that though, doesn't he? And if he didn't say it, I'm sure people are just trying to justify a clear screw up by the club.

It's a really strange position that United have put themselves into by trying to find solutions in the midfield 7 games in? I could imagine if there had been injuries etc. but they're at full strength in midfield as far as I'm aware, but they still don't really have anyone capable of playing that position.

I'd imagine that they've got someone lined up for the winter window, which is great and all. But, incredibly risky game to play as their season could be over by then if they don't sort out their shit. Yes, any club can make do but you need to right coaching to do that. It's fine to list players from the golden era under Fergie, but clearly it's a different ball game with Ole as the manager.

Just a weird situation United find themselves in, and totally unnecessary. If you're going stopgap, then bring in a cheaper DM to do that.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
this is Manchester United oflate
No option but to be like this unfortunately. We're not a Chelsea or city who can splash a massive amout in one window and revamp the whole squad in one window.

Our squad was already bloated from mourinho days and I find it laughable that people say Jose would do a better job than Ole. Jose spent, he bought what he wanted and didn't come close to building Oles squad. Ole had to fix up that mess and imo a fantastic job with the transfers so far, not perfect but more than well enough. But yet the "Ole out" crew are complaining about McFred and in the same breath saying Mourinho would've performed better than Ole, completely ignoring that Mourinho bought Fred and Mourinho had a football crush on Mctominay, so they actually were Mourinho choices.

Ole made as many transfers as he could, prioritised what he could. We could easily be sitting here, after having signed rice and then complaining because we had no sancho and rashford being injured.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve got hopes for garner to be our rock in the midfield
But nobody’s knows if he will kick on
Garner has the technical ability and the physical attributes to make it here, he just needs the confidence. That boy can pull off any pass he wants but he has been too gun shy in the few games he did get a few seasons back. He recently signed a new deal I believe. He is exactly what we are missing currently.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
McTominay seems like an intelligent player, he used to be an attacking midfielder and even striker for our reserves, before playing as a centre back under Jose for a few games and now as an all action midfielder. He seems to be our Mr Fix it.

I think at his best McTominay could be an engine in the midfield. He has started off this season off the pace, but he was rushed back from surgery.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bissouma was the only name I heard during the last window. Is there anyone else that has come up?
Theres a few decent options out there but I think we will end up signing someone unexpected. I just wanna know if we have plans for January or if they are going to wait till the end of the season.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

People stating or ole actually views that
All hear say
But agree with you and @PE Teacher 21, we shouldn’t be trying to train him, just but a decent 6
But also agree with pe teacher when he says he thinks it’s more of a stop gap till we buy somone

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People stating or ole actually views that
All hear say
But agree with you and @PE Teacher 21, we shouldn’t be trying to train him, just but a decent 6
But also agree with pe teacher when he says he thinks it’s more of a stop gap till we buy somone
I saw it on United Stand for what it is worth

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I saw it on United Stand for what it is worth
So just hear say from a fan channel
But if he plays Fred again, his just put the noose around the neck and waiting for the horse to be slapped lol

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So just hear say from a fan channel
But if he plays Fred again, his just put the noose around the neck and waiting for the horse to be slapped lol
You can't trust what Ole says at press conferences. He was saying how he was looking forward to Alexis Sanchez coming back into form and next minute he was sold to Inter.

He doesn't reveal much in press conferences, keeps his cards very close to his chest.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can't trust what Ole says at press conferences. He was saying how he was looking forward to Alexis Sanchez coming back into form and next minute he was sold to Inter.

He doesn't reveal much in press conferences, keeps his cards very close to his chest.
All the same managers and clubs
Keep the cards close etc