Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets just say I’m glad you didn’t get Pocchetino.
And I believe he wanted the Man Utd job.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm someone that does not believe that Ole is a good enough manager for Manchester United... but if I am going to criticise him, I should have an idea who should replace him... and I struggle to think of a manager that can and should replace him

Zidane is a man manager but no tactical innovator or strategist... Conte probably as he has a strong tactical identity and acumen but there is no compromise in him and he would not IMO work well with a Glazer run club... Tuchel would have been a good option when PSG sacked him but he too can be hard to work with and is now ensconced in the Fulham based Chelsea... Nagelsmann just started with Bayern... Ancelotti is past it... Flick wanted out of club football... Allegri just went back to Juventus although they have not looked good at the start of this season --> a pragmatic coach though that could work... Simeone maybe but it could be a risk as I think part of his success at Atletico is the fact he understands the club as a former player and plays up the underdog which you just cannot do with a club as big as United... Erik ten Hag? I don't rate Koeman... Poch perhaps but you would need to be patient as I think his best attribute would be the effect he would have on the younger players --> Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood etc... Rodgers?

so... maybe Ole is the right fit for now
I think it would be a fair to compare the current version of Ole to Rodgers at Liverpool, different styles of play, both did well but don’t have the silverware.

I stick by what I’ve said regarding Ole turning a sinking ship, however, I’ve always maintained he needs to continue proving himself this season. 3 loses in 10 days isn’t good at all, and pressure is on for him to change it and fast. If he doesn’t take another step forward this season then it’ll be time to consider moving on.

However, unlike when Liverpool let go of Rodgers, there isn’t any top managers on the market. There isn’t a Klopp or Pep available. And as you mentioned, most of the quality managers have recently changed clubs.

If the board decided to sack Ole, Zidane would be the favourite, however he is similar to Ole in the sense that his strongest suit is his man management skills. And that would be an issue considering he doesn’t speak English. He also refuses to play younger players and that was a reason as to why he fell out with Madrid.

Conte is a class manager, however he has only proven he can succeed with one style of play and that wouldn’t suit the majority of our team. We’d need another overhaul.

Potter is the one I’m most intrigued about, however whether he can make the step up from Brighton to United is the major issue there. Are we in a position to take the risk?

There’s two gems in the bundesliga with Nagelsmann and Marco Rose, but both just joined Bayern and Dortmund respectively and it would be impossible to get them out of their clubs now.

I’m still in the Ole camp, and I think there is a slight overreaction, however the balls in his court. Let’s see if he can form a title challenge.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tbh you're probably right you know.

Ole for me clearly isn't the right person for them, tho he's done very well in getting them to where they are. That can't be argued.

But changing managers now would be madness. A whole new rebuilding stage would take place so they'd be set back another 2-3 years clearing out deadwood and bringing the right players in.

Out of that list I'd say Zidane personally.

What about Ronaldo? Heard a few mention his name ....
Zidane would be the only one that youd trust to make a team with Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno, Pogba to work. But it’s way too early this season to make any changes. There will be many more twists and turns this season, for all the top sides. It’s about who will be on top come the end of the season that counts.

Im hoping this is just a case of us trying to fit three big name players into a team, and hopefully it’ll click at some point.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets just say I’m glad you didn’t get Pocchetino.
And I believe he wanted the Man Utd job.
I’ve never been the biggest fan of Pochettino. He did really well at Spurs but he also was lucky that he took over just after Kane and Son had started to break out.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be a fair to compare the current version of Ole to Rodgers at Liverpool, different styles of play, both did well but don’t have the silverware.

I stick by what I’ve said regarding Ole turning a sinking ship, however, I’ve always maintained he needs to continue proving himself this season. 3 loses in 10 days isn’t good at all, and pressure is on for him to change it and fast. If he doesn’t take another step forward this season then it’ll be time to consider moving on.

However, unlike when Liverpool let go of Rodgers, there isn’t any top managers on the market. There isn’t a Klopp or Pep available. And as you mentioned, most of the quality managers have recently changed clubs.

If the board decided to sack Ole, Zidane would be the favourite, however he is similar to Ole in the sense that his strongest suit is his man management skills. And that would be an issue considering he doesn’t speak English. He also refuses to play younger players and that was a reason as to why he fell out with Madrid.

Conte is a class manager, however he has only proven he can succeed with one style of play and that wouldn’t suit the majority of our team. We’d need another overhaul.

Potter is the one I’m most intrigued about, however whether he can make the step up from Brighton to United is the major issue there. Are we in a position to take the risk?

There’s two gems in the bundesliga with Nagelsmann and Marco Rose, but both just joined Bayern and Dortmund respectively and it would be impossible to get them out of their clubs now.

I’m still in the Ole camp, and I think there is a slight overreaction, however the balls in his court. Let’s see if he can form a title challenge.
I like Erik Tan Hag from Ajex. LOVE their football.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think people also need to remember, to manage United, you can’t just be a great tactician. You’re managing a dressing room with Ronaldo, Varane, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford. Players with HUGE personalities.

Ole may not have had the managerial pedigree, but his name is etched in the history books at the club and so he can garner the respect of a lot of the players, hence why he gets plaudits for his man management skills.

So if we are to replace our manager, we need someone that has the bottle to deal with the pressures of the dressing room. Otherwise things can go sour really quickly as they did under the previous three managers.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve never been the biggest fan of Pochettino. He did really well at Spurs but he also was lucky that he took over just after Kane and Son had started to break out.
His shortcoming in my opinion is he finished bridesmaid in the PL to Leicester ( their best chance to win it was that season) and to LFC in the CL.
But since his departure Spurs have just gone backward.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think people also need to remember, to manage United, you can’t just be a great tactician. You’re managing a dressing room with Ronaldo, Varane, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford. Players with HUGE personalities.

Ole may not have had the managerial pedigree, but his name is etched in the history books at the club and so he can garner the respect of a lot of the players, hence why he gets plaudits for his man management skills.

So if we are to replace our manager, we need someone that has the bottle to deal with the pressures of the dressing room. Otherwise things can go sour really quickly as they did under the previous three managers.
I think every team has huge personalities, and it can't be an 'excuse' (not saying you're actually doing that) for Ole's shortcomings or a reason to keep him because he can manage them wel.

at the end of the day, it's about winning trophies. That's the United way. Ole may prove me and a lot of people wrong and smoke all competitions this year, starting with a top performance tonight. Obviously I don't want that LOL but fair play to him if he does.

As you say though, not really many other options out there for you which is worrying ... for you at least. You've invested a lot of money into Ole, which I don't particularly think was wise, so you have to back him now.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On a different note. Big game tomorrow, Villarreal are on a decently long unbeaten run other than the SuperCup loss on penalties they had. They’re undefeated in the league so far even after versing both Madrid sides.

I can see them making this a real bore fest. 4 out of the 5 times we have played them, the game has ended 0-0, the only other time was the Europa final and we lost on pens. So I can see this ending 0-0 or 1-0.

No Maguire, Shaw or AWB

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On a different note. Big game tomorrow, Villarreal are on a decently long unbeaten run other than the SuperCup loss on penalties they had. They’re undefeated in the league so far even after versing both Madrid sides.

I can see them making this a real bore fest. 4 out of the 5 times we have played them, the game has ended 0-0, the only other time was the Europa final and we lost on pens. So I can see this ending 0-0 or 1-0.

No Maguire, Shaw or AWB
How bad are the injuries to Maguire, Shaw and AWB?

Your reserves will really need to step up now which is worrying considering how bad your reserves were in the cup

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His shortcoming in my opinion is he finished bridesmaid in the PL to Leicester ( their best chance to win it was that season) and to LFC in the CL.
But since his departure Spurs have just gone backward.
At one point they Kane, Son, Alli, Vertongen, Alderwield, Walker and Lloris all in their prime and still they couldn’t win anything over the course of 5 years.

Spurs missed their chance to rebuild. Kane is past his prime now and it was stupid turning down 150m for him. Better yet they were even offered Laporte, Mahrez and 50m, they could’ve built a much better side.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At one point they Kane, Son, Alli, Vertongen, Alderwield, Walker and Lloris all in their prime and still they couldn’t win anything over the course of 5 years.

Spurs missed their chance to rebuild. Kane is past his prime now and it was stupid turning down 150m for him. Better yet they were even offered Laporte, Mahrez and 50m, they could’ve built a much better side.
I'm personally amazed that Son is still there. Quality player that, and I'd rate him above Kane in all honesty. If I were United I'd be going all out for him.

Spurs have fucked it in all honesty. How far they've fallen in such a short period of time, which goes to show that changing managers isn't always the best thing.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think every team has huge personalities, and it can't be an 'excuse' (not saying you're actually doing that) for Ole's shortcomings or a reason to keep him because he can manage them wel.

at the end of the day, it's about winning trophies. That's the United way. Ole may prove me and a lot of people wrong and smoke all competitions this year, starting with a top performance tonight. Obviously I don't want that LOL but fair play to him if he does.

As you say though, not really many other options out there for you which is worrying ... for you at least. You've invested a lot of money into Ole, which I don't particularly think was wise, so you have to back him now.
I think it’s more of a respect thing. It’s why certain managers only succeed when they’re the underdog.

Trophies are a must, but I wouldn’t be happy if we were no shows in the league but came out with an FA Cup. The team isn’t complete yet but we have enough to stick with City and Chelsea for the time being until we can bring in another midfielder.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it’s more of a respect thing. It’s why certain managers only succeed when they’re the underdog.

Trophies are a must, but I wouldn’t be happy if we were no shows in the league but came out with an FA Cup. The team isn’t complete yet but we have enough to stick with City and Chelsea for the time being until we can bring in another midfielder.
No mention of Liverpool. Cheeky ;) hahaha

I think tonight will be a really good yardstick for you. If you can beat Villareal without 3 of your backline then I think you really can do decently this year as it shows that your depth isn't as bad as some may think. Is a REALLY important game for you

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How bad are the injuries to Maguire, Shaw and AWB?

Your reserves will really need to step up now which is worrying considering how bad your reserves were in the cup
Maguire out for a few weeks, looks like probably a month with it being a calf injury.

Shaw is touch and go, but probably will sit out a week according to Ole.

AWB is suspended.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm personally amazed that Son is still there. Quality player that, and I'd rate him above Kane in all honesty. If I were United I'd be going all out for him.

Spurs have fucked it in all honesty. How far they've fallen in such a short period of time, which goes to show that changing managers isn't always the best thing.
Son is quality, world class.

Kane is a top player but I think he is overrated. Well at least he is now. He has become too passive.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No mention of Liverpool. Cheeky ;) hahaha

I think tonight will be a really good yardstick for you. If you can beat Villareal without 3 of your backline then I think you really can do decently this year as it shows that your depth isn't as bad as some may think. Is a REALLY important game for you
We only compete with big clubs…..

We need an early goal tonight, we can’t let them get comfortable as they’re good at sitting back and absorbing the pressure. Theyve got a quick attack too so pressure is on Varane.