Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LIVERPOOL FC STADIUM PLANS
Thu, 19/07/2007 - 09:33

Liverpool FC is awaiting planning permission to build a new £280 million, 60,000 seat that could be extended to 80,000 capacity stadium.

Construction on the planned site which is next to the clubs current ground Anfield, could begin before the end of the year if planning permission is successful.

Liverpool decided to submit a new stadium proposal when American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks bought the club in March.

"We know pretty much know what the final plans are. They will be unveiled in the coming weeks,” said Nick Parry Liverpool Chief executive. “Whether we build an extension is partly a business decision depending on what the demand will be.

"The owners were concerned that if we were really going to be challenging long term, just in excess of 60,000 was too small," added Perry.

Parry concluded that that the new build would not become a debt burden to the club, and that stadium was an “investment that will generate a return that will allow us to invest in the team.”
Source: Sport Business

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
CARRA: FEAR OF FAILURE DRIVES ME ON

Jamie Carragher today admitted the fear of ending his career without a league title winner's medal will drive him on for the remainder of his days as a Liverpool player.

Carragher, who skippered the Reds against South China in the Asian Cup on Tuesday, signed a new four year deal with the club this summer and is remaining hopeful the one gaping hole in his personal trophy cabinet will be filled over the coming seasons.

"I think about missing out on winning the title all the time," he said. "I know I've got plenty of years left in me at Liverpool, but even when you're at your peak, you start thinking about the time it may start going the other way.

"When I get to the end of this contract, if we still haven't won the title, it's natural I'll be starting to worry about how many chances I'll have left.

"I'm desperate to realise that ambition of winning a Premiership medal during the course of this contract.

"Football time flies so quickly. It doesn't seem that long ago people were talking about Stevie and myself as the youngsters who could be part of a successful Liverpool team for a long time.

"Even the three years Rafa has been here have flown. In another three years I'll be 32 and a few in the Kemlyn Road will be saying I'm finished!"

With pre-season optimism again high following Rafael Benitez's summer spending, Carragher is confident the Reds can challenge for the biggest prize in English football this time around - even though he is keen to warn against the dangers of complacency.

"I've got a lot of experience now and I've seen this situation many times before," he added.

"Every summer this signing or that is going to make all the difference. When I first got into the team it was a midfielder who puts his foot in which was going to take us up a level.

"Then it was a couple of centre-halves we were missing. Then it was attacking full-backs, then wingers and now it's goalscorers.

"It's understandable people think this way because we're all so desperate to win the league. It's natural for supporters to get carried away when we make big signings.

"That's football and it's because we're all so passionate about the game, everyone wants to feel excited about a new season.

"I'd rather that than people saying we've got no chance. Hopefully this year will be the year we've got all the players we need, but no-one can be under any illusions. It's going to be very, very difficult.

"There are three other top sides and I see Tottenham as a major team this season too. What we want first and foremost is to make a decent fight of it.

"Chelsea and Manchester United are great sides with great managers. They're not going to wait around for anyone to catch them.

"United won the league and then went out and improved their squad again. To say we have an automatic right to catch them because we've spent some money is nonsense.

"What it has done is given us the chance for a fairer fight. What we are expecting now is more of challenge to them. I just want to be in with a chance with ten games to go."

In Other News: Steve Finnan has resigned for another three years.

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
lol ^^

last club i would look at after the FA cup final in 05/06

Voronin looks like a good buy for liverpool.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol ^^

last club i would look at after the FA cup final in 05/06

Voronin looks like a good buy for liverpool.
So far so good. We need consistency.

cmrn

can i buy a vowel please?
Reaction score
Parra Power: Torres actually took a 'pay cut' to come to liverpool. He was earning alot more over in Spain (from all the media reports)

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In my Opinion... Torres was already Out-Classing & Out-Earning more than the Entire Team Revenue(Players)... As for that Post about me saying "Torres actually Took a Pay Cut to come to Liverpool"... In My Opinion he was getting sick of being in the 2nd Class Madrid Team for 6 Seasons... though scoring 81 Goals for Atletico is not a bad way to say Good bye...

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
with the midfield that liverpool have... torres will score goals for us

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
crouch and kuyt scored 14 and 8 goals for liverpool last year and imo torres is much better than both.

havent seen too much of voronin. only saw him in a few games at the world cup, where he played mid with sheva as a lone striker.

great attack there. voronin, torres, babel and the two u had last year

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's this Strike Force: "Torres, Crouch, Voronin, Kuyt, Gerrard, Kuyt, Pennant & to a lesser Extent Kewell" that can really cause a Serious Upset & win the 2007/08 Season. In My Opinion they are the Ones who really deserve it.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's this Strike Force: "Torres, Crouch, Voronin, Kuyt, Gerrard, Kuyt, Pennant & to a lesser Extent Kewell" that can really cause a Serious Upset & win the 2007/08 Season. In My Opinion they are the Ones who really deserve it.
The one that would have completed this jigsaw was Garcia. He had the magical ability to score in big matches when they were needed. Very sorry to see him go!

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
i wish rafa didnt let him go and sign yossi... i mean yossi is a good player but i dont think he will have the same influence as garcia had for us

D

D0ggyStylz

Liverpool boss Benitez: Kewell like new signing
tribalfooball.com - July 29, 2007

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez says the return of Harry Kewell may convince him to put his chequebook away.

"I think he will be an important player," enthused Benitez. "It's like we are signing a new player.
"Harry has had problems for the last two seasons but you know that he has the ability and the quality that we need. "To play two games in a row was difficult and I was really pleased with him."
I remember the last time Kewell came back they said it was like they signed a new player lol

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
tribalfooball.com - July 30, 2007

New Liverpool signing Andriy Voronin has vowed to outshine fellow Ukrainian Andriy Shevchenko this season.
Voronin said: "Shevchenko didn't perform as well as expected last season. But he spent seven years in Serie A, which is totally different to English football.

"I spoke to him about coming to Liverpool but was not at all put off by the problems he had. I have studied English football and believe there are many similarities with the game in Germany. That is one reason why Dimitar Berbatov did so well in his first season at Tottenham."
i fookin hope so! :cool:

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon some League One Players have already out shined Shevchencko in Form.

cmrn

can i buy a vowel please?
Reaction score
Neil Warnock the goose.

EXCLUSIVE
I was betrayed by Benitez

By MARK IRWIN
AUGUST 02, 2007

NEIL WARNOCK has made more than his fair share of enemies during his controversial career in the dugout.

In part three of our exclusive serialisation of his explosive new book, he reveals the full extent of his fall-out with Champions League finalists Liverpool.

I HAD not really been worrying too much about West Ham in the final few weeks, because I always assumed they were going to get out of it anyway.

With Watford and Charlton down, I thought either Wigan or Fulham would be the third team relegated.

They were both on terrible runs and I couldn’t see Fulham getting another point.

Then, as we arrived at Villa Park on the penultimate weekend of the season, I saw the team Rafa Benitez had picked for Liverpool’s visit to Craven Cottage that afternoon.

Liverpool had beaten Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final the previous Tuesday and I was curious how they would approach the Fulham game.

But I never thought Benitez would stoop as low as he did. He left out nine of his first-team players. Nine.

The Champions League final was still more than two weeks away. I couldn’t understand it.

I hadn’t even heard of two of the players Benitez picked. Seriously. That showed total contempt for us.

I know he has to look after the interests of his own club. But why rest practically his entire team when the final was still so far away?

He brought them all back a week later for their last game of the season against Charlton, which was a match with nothing riding on it.

I hated Benitez when I saw that Liverpool team. I know that sounds horrible but I did hate him.

It was still in our hands. We needed a point at Villa to be absolutely sure of safety.

A 1-0 defeat would have been almost as good, because there was no way Wigan were going to beat us by three clear goals at Bramall Lane the following Sunday.

When my lads ran out to face Villa, we could almost touch safety.

Maybe I should have played a more conservative formation that evening. But we were so pleased about Wigan losing at home to Middlesbrough earlier that day, no one thought about our goal difference.

In hindsight, we should have done. If we’d played five at the back, perhaps we would only have lost 1-0. In the end we lost 3-0. We were still three points ahead of Wigan but our goal difference was now only one better.

That meant that if Wigan beat us at Bramall Lane on the final day, they would stay up and we would go down.

The margin of our defeat changed the whole dynamic at the bottom of the table going into the final weekend. That and Fulham’s 1-0 win against Liverpool. I felt sick inside when I heard that result. I felt cheated.

I hoped that AC Milan would win the Champions League final, so Benitez has got some pain and hurt to go with mine.

A couple of weeks later I went to the FA Cup final with my son, William, and was glad to find myself sitting among the Chelsea fans.

Then I saw Sir Alex Ferguson walking on to the pitch.

“I’m sorry mate,” I said to myself. “I’m not bothered how well you play today, because I know you’re going to lose. Just like Liverpool are going to lose against AC Milan.”

Then I did something I very rarely do. I phoned a bookmaker and put a few hundred quid on a double: Chelsea and AC Milan to win. It wasn’t my first run-in with Liverpool. We’d played them in the semi-finals of the Worthington Cup in 2003, when Gerard Houllier was still their manager.

They played us off the park in the first half of the first leg at Bramall Lane.

They were passing the ball around for fun. Not taking the p*** but not far away.

I phoned my assistant, Kevin Blackwell, from the stand and said: “I’m coming down to stir things up before we get battered.”

As I came out of the tunnel, Salif Diao had just got away with an horrific tackle.

Houllier was on the edge of his technical area, so I made sure I brushed him as I stormed past.

He turned to look at me. “That’s a f****** disgrace,” I yelled at him. “How much are you paying the ref not to book Diao?”

“No, no. The referee was correct. He does nothing wrong,” Houllier said.

He was a lovely man, Gerard. But I had to stir it up a bit more.

“Just f*** off, Gerard. That’s a joke. He should be in the book. Just f*** off.”

Then Phil Thompson, Houllier’s No 2, came storming out of the dugout. He acted like he was Gerard’s minder and started mouthing off.

“You can f*** off Pinocchio,” I said. “Get back in your f****** cupboard.”

That was like a red rag to a bull. He started waving his arms and gesticulating. The fourth official got involved and suddenly it was mayhem.

Liverpool were no longer bothered about the game any more. I told my lads at half-time: “All they’ll be talking about is what a p***k I am and what they want to do to me.”

They were so rattled that we ended up beating them 2-1. At the end of the game Phil Thompson wouldn’t shake my hand. He was still going mental.

“Wait ’til we get you back to our place,” he said. “We’ll sort you out then.”

The second leg finished 1-0 to them — level on aggregate — and then Michael Owen scored their winner in extra-time.

After the game, I went on to the pitch to applaud the fans and their dopey Swiss centre-half, Stephane Henchoz, spat at me. It only just missed.

I told the Press I expected better than foreigners spitting at me at Anfield and was called a bigot for saying that.

But I was disgusted with Henchoz and called him a few names, too.

Fortunately, he was that slow I knew he’d never catch me if he tried to run after me.

EXTRACTS adapted by Mark Irwin from Made in Sheffield: Neil Warnock — My Story © Neil Warnock 2007.

Published by Hodder & Stoughton on August 9th at £18.99.

This guy is a complete ****tard. yesterday they published a story about how he blamed Man U. Seems to like to blame everyone but himself and his team for not winning when it mattered at the start and middle of the season.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sochaux ponder move for Reds misfit Le Tallec

Liverpool misfit Anthony Le Tallec could be heading back to France on a permanent basis after it was made clear he has no future at Anfield.

The 22-year-old midfielder spent last season on loan to Sochaux, and the French club have now confirmed that they are considering meeting Reds manager Rafael Benitez's £2.7million asking price.

Le Tallec returned to Liverpool's Melwood training ground this summer hoping to rekindle his Anfield career.

But Benitez promptly sent him to train with the reserves and it is believed he has been given a week off.

He did not travel with the second string to Holland yesterday for the four-team tournament next weekend in Amsterdam.

Benitez could have allowed Le Tallec to train with the senior squad this week ahead of their own trip to play two games in Rotterdam at the weekend, but instead opted to give the player time off.

Liverpool have offered Le Tallec to clubs in the UK and Europe, and he has been linked with Birmingham, Fulham and West Ham.

But Sochaux could be prepared to end the player's Mersey nightmare by coming up with a permanent deal.

Sochaux chairman Jean-Claude Plessis, who earlier in the summer claimed his club would not pursue the player, said: 'Indeed we are thinking about a permanent deal.

'Anthony is a very talented player who has been very fair with us last season. If the conditions are acceptable, why not sign him?'

After being signed by former boss Gerard Houllier from Le Havre - along with Florent Sinama-Pongolle - in 2002, in a joint deal which was worth up to £7m, Le Tallec also had an unsatisfactory loan spell at Sunderland.

But the French Under-21 international has never fulfilled the promise he showed as a teenager, which earned him high praise in a series of UEFA and FIFA youth championships

grk_adonis

THIS IS ANFIELD!
Reaction score
SHANGHAI SHENHUA 0 - 2 LIVERPOOL
Friday 03 August 2007 17:30 , Port of Rotterdam Tournament
TORRES OFF THE MARK IN REDS WIN

Liverpool's chances of rounding off their pre-season programme with silverware are still alive after Fernando Torres grabbed his first goal for the Reds in a 2-0 victory over Shanghai Shenhua in Rotterdam.

Liverpool's chances of rounding off their pre-season programme with silverware are still alive after Fernando Torres grabbed his first goal for the Reds in a 2-0 victory over Shanghai Shenhua in Rotterdam.

Rafael Benitez chose the penultimate warm-up match to hand his record signing a first start, and the 23 year old didn't disappoint with a lively display which was rewarded with a cleverly taken goal after just 12 minutes.

And skipper Steven Gerrard added a spectacular second just seconds after being introduced from the substitute's bench to secure the points.

Liverpool controlled the play almost from first minute to last and, aside from a slight first half scare when Sami Hyypia was forced to avert the danger as Soto Blanco was given a sight of goal, Benitez will be well pleased with his side's display in the energy sapping Dutch heat.

Argentinian youngster Sebastian Leto was also handed his debut after receiving permission to play from the footballing authorities, while fellow countryman Emiliano Insua was given another chance to impress on the left side of the defence.

Torres' strike was the highlight of a low key first half during which Peter Crouch also went close with a long range strike and Momo Sissoko tested the goalkeeper with a couple of long range efforts.

The goal the Reds deserved “ and the one Torres craved “ arrived after 12 minutes when the Spanish striker found space behind the back of the Shanghai defence to latch onto Yossi Benayoun's pass and clip the ball over Chen Zhang in the Chinese goal.

Ryan Babel and Steven Gerrard were introduced to the action after an hour and the captain took no time at all to stamp his mark on the match with a brilliant curling shot from outside the area into the far corner of the goal.

The local Feyenoord fans “ who a minute earlier had greeted the arrival of former Ajax man Ryan Babel with a chorus of boos “ were soon standing to join the Liverpool fans in applauding the brilliance of the skipper. It won't be the last time this season we see such a spectacular goal from our number eight.

Dirk Kuyt was afforded a real hero's welcome when he joined the action 17 minutes from time and he almost made an instant impact with a wonderful pass into the feet of Benayoun, but the Israeli took too long to get his shot away with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Shanghai may not have provided the greatest of opposition against which to test the progress of Rafa's Reds during pre-season “ but the clash with Feyenoord in two days time is sure to be a different story.

And, with a trophy at stake, victory would be the perfect tonic to take into the final week before the big kick-off at Aston Villa.

Teams
Liverpool: Martin, Insua, Hyypia (captain), Paletta, Finnan, Leto, Sissoko, Leiva, Benayoun, Crouch, Torres. Subs - Riise, Babel, Arbeloa, Gerrard, Alonso, Kuyt, Mascherano, Reina, Carragher

Liverpoolfc.tv Man-of-the-Match: Yossi Benayoun