The "Kick Off" will soon be dead

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday Jacob Preston was another casualty and broke his jaw from a barnstorming Shaq Mitchell who stands at 192cm & weighs 116kg. At full speed, the collision would be like being hit by a car. This year has seen a number of incidences where defending players running up to meet an oncoming forward collide with such force it is likely deemed as the most dangerous tackle in Rugby Leage. Players instantly are knocked out, broken jaws and heads split wide open. I can't remember a year when I have seen so many of these type of tackles go wrong.

There was a rule change this year if a team took a short kick off a penalty is no longer awarded if it doesn't travel 10 mtr's. Instead, the opposing team will restart play with a play-the-ball 10 metres from the line where the kick was taken. But teams don't take this option too often unless they are chasing urgent points towards the end of the game.

As the NRL are focusing more and more on player welfare, I think it is going to get to a stage where the "Kick Off" will be vanishrd from the game. If this was to happen, what restart do you think is an alternative to current the Kick Off?

If I can remember correctly, back in Super League days the team that scored were the ones to restart the game with a tap from half way. I am happy to stand corrected. But this is one option or the defending team taps to restart? There are no collisions like the current Kick Off. But mark my words, the NRL will implement some change in the coming years which could see the Kick Off dead forever.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't mind if they get rid of kickoffs. Just make it a 20m tap. I also think that the team that conceded points should get the ball.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind if they get rid of kickoffs. Just make it a 20m tap. I also think that the team that conceded points should get the ball.
Good option. Would also save time on the clock with the restart 20mtrs out with both teams ready immediately after the conversion instead of the conceding team having to jog 50 mtrs out, kicker places the ball, ref blows the whistle, the kicker puts his hand up to tell his team let's go, then kicks off. We lose at least a minute of play.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The type of kick you rarely see but has a decent chance of getting the ball back is the low stab kick to the sideline.

Im actually surprised good exponents of kicks such as DCE, Reynolds, Burton, Moses, etc dont do it often.

If youve ever had to stand near the sideline and have one of these come at you, youll know what im talking about. You have to take a gamble as to whether you let it bounce up in front of you, but half the time it shoots up over your head.

Its not even a contest

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday Jacob Preston was another casualty and broke his jaw from a barnstorming Shaq Mitchell who stands at 192cm & weighs 116kg. At full speed, the collision would be like being hit by a car. This year has seen a number of incidences where defending players running up to meet an oncoming forward collide with such force it is likely deemed as the most dangerous tackle in Rugby Leage. Players instantly are knocked out, broken jaws and heads split wide open. I can't remember a year when I have seen so many of these type of tackles go wrong.

There was a rule change this year if a team took a short kick off a penalty is no longer awarded if it doesn't travel 10 mtr's. Instead, the opposing team will restart play with a play-the-ball 10 metres from the line where the kick was taken. But teams don't take this option too often unless they are chasing urgent points towards the end of the game.

As the NRL are focusing more and more on player welfare, I think it is going to get to a stage where the "Kick Off" will be vanishrd from the game. If this was to happen, what restart do you think is an alternative to current the Kick Off?

If I can remember correctly, back in Super League days the team that scored were the ones to restart the game with a tap from half way. I am happy to stand corrected. But this is one option or the defending team taps to restart? There are no collisions like the current Kick Off. But mark my words, the NRL will implement some change in the coming years which could see the Kick Off dead forever.
I thought it was still a kick off but scoring team kicked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sailor re-signed with the Bronco's even though he'll never be their #1, only a back up to Walsh. I also think it's for personal reasons he doesn't want to come back to Sydney otherwise there are teams he can walk into like the Dogs

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's pretty much the NFL. If a team concedes a touchdown, the conceding team gets the ball back.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That's pretty much the NFL. If a team concedes a touchdown, the conceding team gets the ball back.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk
Yeah I know, I watch the NFL lol. I prefer their system.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like the bounce in AFL. I'm not saying use that, but something for the team's to contest might be interesting..

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The game will be dead if we let the current ass clowns keep running it.