News The Key Reason Behind TPJ's Exit From The Bulldogs

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport By Peter Badel

“I never ripped off anyone at the Dogs. I’m not driven by money. I’m just happy to be back in Brisbane with my life settled again.”

DOG GONE

Pangai Jr insists he enjoyed working with Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo and football boss ‘Gus’ Gould, but reveals there were other factors beyond boxing that convinced him to hit the Belmore exits.

“To be honest, I just hated Sydney. I didn’t enjoy the city,” he said. “There’s a reason my parents moved out of Sydney when I was 12. The place sucks. I will never move back.

“My big thing was being in Brisbane. People don’t understand how much I love being back home with my wife’s family and being able to work with my (boxing) trainer in Brisbane.

“There’s no issue with Cameron. He knows what we spoke about.

“I had some goals I wrote down and I told them if I didn’t meet them, I would quit the NRL and take up boxing.

“I said to ‘Ciro’ if we didn’t make the top eight, that I would leave the club and I’d go without a payout.

“We had a great relationship. Cameron didn’t want to hold me to those words, but I felt I dropped below my standard at the Dogs and I wasn’t happy with myself.”

THE PAYOUT

Pangai Jr set the record straight on suggestions Gould signed off on a $250,000 payout. He says he ostensibly forfeited $750,000 by going to boxing.

“The truth is there was no payout,” he said.

“While most of my discussions were with the coach, I got on with ‘Gus’ (Gould).

“When he found out about my decision, we definitely spoke about it and he said if I ever needed anything, he would be there for me which I appreciated. I was happy that I could leave without any bad blood.

“I didn’t get a cent from the Dogs. Anyone who has dealt with me knows I am very fair at the negotiating table. I’m not driven by money. My parents always said don’t rip anyone off. I’ve had bigger offers in my time in the NRL and I happily took less to play in winning teams.

“I don’t care if people think I’m money hungry. I got to move back to Brisbane and box and the Dogs had $750,000 to play with.

“I think it was a fair deal in the end.”

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s a nice story to read. Whether true or not, I’ll take it as it is. Sydney much better than Brisbane though, geesh
Faaark no Shitney is soo shit and Brisbane is so much better.
Id never live in Shitney again either.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good he can make a living at NRL again as he sure wont at boxing.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But, but, my friend's cousin's uncle's brother said…

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Always speculated unless his family came down he wouldnt settle well in Syd its not.for everyone..plus he played pretty averagely.
Anyway he pulled the pin and it sounds like he did the right at least sort of..

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I live in Sydney and yes, he is correct. This place sucks. Too many roots keep me here though. If your young with no family GTFO now.
Must be some good nursing homes around Sydney then

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we didn’t make the top 8 he was going to go. Thank fuck he left with that mentality.