News The Key Reason Behind TPJ's Exit From The Bulldogs

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport By Peter Badel

“I never ripped off anyone at the Dogs. I’m not driven by money. I’m just happy to be back in Brisbane with my life settled again.”

DOG GONE

Pangai Jr insists he enjoyed working with Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo and football boss ‘Gus’ Gould, but reveals there were other factors beyond boxing that convinced him to hit the Belmore exits.

“To be honest, I just hated Sydney. I didn’t enjoy the city,” he said. “There’s a reason my parents moved out of Sydney when I was 12. The place sucks. I will never move back.

“My big thing was being in Brisbane. People don’t understand how much I love being back home with my wife’s family and being able to work with my (boxing) trainer in Brisbane.

“There’s no issue with Cameron. He knows what we spoke about.

“I had some goals I wrote down and I told them if I didn’t meet them, I would quit the NRL and take up boxing.

“I said to ‘Ciro’ if we didn’t make the top eight, that I would leave the club and I’d go without a payout.

“We had a great relationship. Cameron didn’t want to hold me to those words, but I felt I dropped below my standard at the Dogs and I wasn’t happy with myself.”

THE PAYOUT

Pangai Jr set the record straight on suggestions Gould signed off on a $250,000 payout. He says he ostensibly forfeited $750,000 by going to boxing.

“The truth is there was no payout,” he said.

“While most of my discussions were with the coach, I got on with ‘Gus’ (Gould).

“When he found out about my decision, we definitely spoke about it and he said if I ever needed anything, he would be there for me which I appreciated. I was happy that I could leave without any bad blood.

“I didn’t get a cent from the Dogs. Anyone who has dealt with me knows I am very fair at the negotiating table. I’m not driven by money. My parents always said don’t rip anyone off. I’ve had bigger offers in my time in the NRL and I happily took less to play in winning teams.

“I don’t care if people think I’m money hungry. I got to move back to Brisbane and box and the Dogs had $750,000 to play with.

“I think it was a fair deal in the end.”
He likes winning and he saw the writing on the wall that some random lad has us finishing 17th in 24 so that wax enough for Pangai. And who would blame a man who likes winning?
Seriously.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about the breeding population or the average number of fingers.
Thank you for opening my mind, I never looked at it from that angle … I was thinking he meant the average number of teeth …

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Brisbane better than Sydney. Get the fuck outt here. Brisbane a backwater hick town. Shit transport, shit food, shit beaches. I ain't into museums and all that shit, but what Brisbane got for a museum ? Last time I heard they got a history museum on caravans and fishing rods. Fuckin inbreed douche bags. Just the look of the place, what's so spectacular looking about Brisbane ?? The fuckin joint built on a flood zone. And look at your pin up boy. Rhys Walsh, finger painting, speedo wearing in a lift with 3 half naked team mates. Madone. Fuck Brisbane and QLD

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane better than Sydney. Get the fuck outt here. Brisbane a backwater hick town. Shit transport, shit food, shit beaches. I ain't into museums and all that shit, but what Brisbane got for a museum ? Last time I heard they got a history museum on caravans and fishing rods. Fuckin inbreed douche bags. Just the look of the place, what's so spectacular looking about Brisbane ?? The fuckin joint built on a flood zone. And look at your pin up boy. Rhys Walsh, finger painting, speedo wearing in a lift with 3 half naked team mates. Madone. Fuck Brisbane and QLD
Eloquently put … I’m getting a feeling you don’t like Brisbane or Qld, is that what your saying here ?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport By Peter Badel

“I never ripped off anyone at the Dogs. I’m not driven by money. I’m just happy to be back in Brisbane with my life settled again.”

DOG GONE

Pangai Jr insists he enjoyed working with Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo and football boss ‘Gus’ Gould, but reveals there were other factors beyond boxing that convinced him to hit the Belmore exits.

“To be honest, I just hated Sydney. I didn’t enjoy the city,” he said. “There’s a reason my parents moved out of Sydney when I was 12. The place sucks. I will never move back.

“My big thing was being in Brisbane. People don’t understand how much I love being back home with my wife’s family and being able to work with my (boxing) trainer in Brisbane.

“There’s no issue with Cameron. He knows what we spoke about.

“I had some goals I wrote down and I told them if I didn’t meet them, I would quit the NRL and take up boxing.

“I said to ‘Ciro’ if we didn’t make the top eight, that I would leave the club and I’d go without a payout.

“We had a great relationship. Cameron didn’t want to hold me to those words, but I felt I dropped below my standard at the Dogs and I wasn’t happy with myself.”

THE PAYOUT

Pangai Jr set the record straight on suggestions Gould signed off on a $250,000 payout. He says he ostensibly forfeited $750,000 by going to boxing.

“The truth is there was no payout,” he said.

“While most of my discussions were with the coach, I got on with ‘Gus’ (Gould).

“When he found out about my decision, we definitely spoke about it and he said if I ever needed anything, he would be there for me which I appreciated. I was happy that I could leave without any bad blood.

“I didn’t get a cent from the Dogs. Anyone who has dealt with me knows I am very fair at the negotiating table. I’m not driven by money. My parents always said don’t rip anyone off. I’ve had bigger offers in my time in the NRL and I happily took less to play in winning teams.

“I don’t care if people think I’m money hungry. I got to move back to Brisbane and box and the Dogs had $750,000 to play with.

“I think it was a fair deal in the end.”
TRUTH GONE more like it...
Poor little TPJ,
As a child he was forced to play football by his parents,
Didn't care about the money and NEVER ripped off the Dogs but was more than happy to take their $750k a season and $250k from the Gronkos to do bugger all for it...We want a refund :laughing:
Wanted to be close to his lost and now found family in Brisbane, LOL
Ohhh I nearly forgot...To show loyalty and respect to our/his club, he convinced Haas not to sign with us when he was a near certainty !!!
Well that's The Pathetic Joke :(

Last edited:

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think people really dislike Sydney per se, rather the dislike comes from the fact it is just a tough place to live and raise a family. Most of those challenges are financial as its a pricey place to live. If you dont have much cash, you live in less desirable place, likely rent and at the ransom of your landlord, you have to drive further to get to work or anywhere else. It all builds up and I get why people pack up and head north. Unfortunately, not always an option when family, work and friend connections are all here.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well.. if he ever comes back to NRL, there’s a snowflakes chance in hell of getting another Origin call up - you can’t hate the major city of the state you’re representing….
Literally everyone who lives in NSW but not in Sydney, hates Sydney though