The Kennels Team '07 - Halfback

The Kennels Choice - Halfback

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Well i think he has more experience and potential than the other 3 candidates alot are saying on here bring roberts in for shifty after so and so rounds so i think if you want some consitency and somebody that can pass than corey hughes is the guy for the job.

£©

Taxed By £©
Reaction score
Where would you put Holdsworth? He was one of the best 5/8's in 2006 and is defiantly the best support player in the team.
Hooker, Lock, interchange, who cares, im just saying for the first few rounds so that Roberts can learn more!

P

Promiscuous

LC, thats good thinking but Holdsy deserves his chance at 5/8 after his terrific opening season with the Dogs :p

H

Haztrick

Hooker, Lock, interchange, who cares, im just saying for the first few rounds so that Roberts can learn more!
Each to their own, but I don't understand your logic of wanting to give Roberts experience and doing it by dropping one of our best players of 06 to give that position to him. The logical thing to do would be to drop Sherwin, who had a very inconsistent season.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Where would you put Holdsworth? He was one of the best 5/8's in 2006 and is defiantly the best support player in the team.
Like you said, best support player in the team, but when it comes down to try assists and organizing a side, he just doesn't have what it takes yet.

Everyone seems to forget how bad Holdworth plays without Shifty by his side.

If Roberts was any good, Folkes would have played him at half and kept DJ at 5/8th when he dropped Sherwin.

I give Sherwin one more season, if he plays poor again this year, i'll renounce my Shifty loyalty, and will be more than willing to see someone else take up the position.

H

Haztrick

Like you said, best support player in the team, but when it comes down to try assists and organizing a side, he just doesn't have what it takes yet.

If Roberts was any good, Folkes would have played him at half and kept DJ at 5/8th when he dropped Sherwin.

I give Sherwin one more season, if he plays poor again this year, i'll renounce my Shifty loyalty, and will be more than willing to see someone else take up the position.
Holdsworth had a great season. He was involved in a lot, not just support play. His running game improved a lot through out the year and his passing game was also very good. To say the only thing he did well was support play is pretty stupid, considering the great year he had.

M

MrCharisma

Definately have to throw Sherwin to the Sharks, his inconsitancy and lack of tricks up his sleeve is costing the Bulldogs victories. We can't just rely on our forward pack and we sure as hell can't expect our backline to do anything!

I'd go Benny Roberts for selection... throw him straight in, might take a little bit to click, like with Daniel Holdsworth, but the rewards will be higher then playing with Sherwin and then losing him in another season or two.

Ben Roberts is the future

H

Haztrick

Definately have to throw Sherwin to the Sharks, his inconsitancy and lack of tricks up his sleeve is costing the Bulldogs victories. We can't just rely on our forward pack and we sure as hell can't expect our backline to do anything!

I'd go Benny Roberts for selection... throw him straight in, might take a little bit to click, like with Daniel Holdsworth, but the rewards will be higher then playing with Sherwin and then losing him in another season or two.

Ben Roberts is the future
Word..

Except for the comment about our back line.. IMO, Next year is our strongest back line since 2002/2003.. We have Tonga and Millard or Emelio who are all great centers. If Tonga can get rid of all the niggling injuries in the off season, I think he can click and get back to his rep form. Millard is much like Tonga with speed and strength, nice footwork and a nice fend. If Emelio gets the center spot, we all know his form last year, defiantly one of the most improved players in the NRL. El Masri is just El Magic, you don't expect anything less than highest try scorer and point scorer. Although he isn't powerful, he is great under the high ball and always gets in there to help out the forwards as much as he can. Patten was our player of the year last year and one of the best fullbacks in the NRL. I think he has hit the top form of his career and hopefully it continues on. Utai is much like Sherwin. Inconsistent but awsome when in form. If he can re-gain his 2002 form, he will again be one of the best wingers.

A lot of what ifs, but the potential is defiantly there. I think a lot of people are under rating our back line for 2007.

M

MrCharisma

Our backline is decent, but not great... they are all hardworking players but not magicians, hardly any of them can make something out of nothing. Patten and Tonga are our best weapons there.

Haz, whilst a wicked player, won't be breaking the line or making 30+ metre dashes like most other wingers.

Emelio and Utai work hard in the sets but like Haz, don't make too much out of nothing. The Utai slam seems all but dead. I guess this is why I'm excited about the possibilty of Leon Bott...

Imagine this. Sherwin/Roberts/Holdsworth throws a cut out pass to Bott who has open space and just flies untouched down the sideline...

Or Patten makes another one of his kick return breaks through the middle... the opposition fullback is in persuit but whos following, it's that speedstar Leon Bott who is able to secure the offload from Patten and run the remainder of the field for a try.

This is what I imagine with Bott... Tonga is our next man who can do something similar but the guy can't pass... he's a hog and often enough isn't smart enough to make the right decision under pressure. Sure he can slip through the defence like a hot knife in butter but his decision making like Sonny-Bill will usually break down a great ball movement.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

finally someone making sense!

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my sig says it all

Roberts is nothing right now

Sherwin is King

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sherwin is my first choice. But if he doesn't perform then by all mean throw Roberts into the mix. Sherwin didn't have a great season last year but Loyalty has to count for something.

P

Promiscuous

Sherwin, until he has fckued it up and then give Roberts his chance to shine :grinning:

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Holdsworth had a great season. He was involved in a lot, not just support play. His running game improved a lot through out the year and his passing game was also very good. To say the only thing he did well was support play is pretty stupid, considering the great year he had.
DJ played like crap when Sherwin wasn't in the side, couldn't barely handle the pressure of being in charge of the team's attack. How easily you forget.

He needs plenty of more time before he is ready for this responsiblility.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
1 more season? So a sh!t 2005 and 2006 wasn't enough for you?
I don't count 2005, with that many injuries to the side, I don't think any halfback could have helped us make the finals that year.

And 2006, I thought he played well in the back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.