The Job Interview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to get peoples, good, bad, funny or embarrassing job interviews that they have attended/held.

I went to one today for an admin position at my local hospital, felt like i was in way over my head lol. I was asked none of the questions i had prepared for and was asked a series of questions by 3 people that i had no idea to answer. Dont think i will get the job :-/

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Worked for a bunch of years in retail area-management (music / DVD's). Interviewed hundreds. Had 65 staff across 8 stores at it's peak, then you throw in the Xmas casuals.

Questions were mostly generic. I was mainly interested in their availability first, then how they could benefit the business (skill sets, etc).

Right at the end, I had a favourite question I liked to ask : "What was the biggest challenge you've faced, and what steps have you taken to overcome it ?" ... Some of the responses were downright boring, but occasionally they'd come out with something that would completely impress the socks off me.

One that sticks out is a 18-19yo girl who'd fractured her neck in surf at 15. Had to learn to walk again and feed herself. Graduated HSC with a UAI above 90.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
In a rough time, I had an interview at a video shop which included an hour & a half of work. Id been drinking port most of the afternoon & didn't get the job.

Kids eh?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was on the dole once (for a short period of time ) had to fill out those job books ect ect. Not sure how it worked but I had ended up having an interview with a telemarketing company. I had to have a mock conversation with this lady. Anyways there was not a hope in hell I wanted this or would take this job. So I butchered it the best way I know how . Be myself and don't hold back on the language .lol it lasted about 3 sentences . She was horrified . Ended up with another job 2 days later being on the dole was 2 hard work

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on the dole once (for a short period of time ) had to fill out those job books ect ect. Not sure how it worked but I had ended up having an interview with a telemarketing company. I had to have a mock conversation with this lady. Anyways there was not a hope in hell I wanted this or would take this job. So I butchered it the best way I know how . Be myself and don't hold back on the language .lol it lasted about 3 sentences . She was horrified . Ended up with another job 2 days later being on the dole was 2 hard work
lol 3 sentences is a good effort

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worked for a bunch of years in retail area-management (music / DVD's). Interviewed hundreds. Had 65 staff across 8 stores at it's peak, then you throw in the Xmas casuals.

Questions were mostly generic. I was mainly interested in their availability first, then how they could benefit the business (skill sets, etc).

Right at the end, I had a favourite question I liked to ask : "What was the biggest challenge you've faced, and what steps have you taken to overcome it ?" ... Some of the responses were downright boring, but occasionally they'd come out with something that would completely impress the socks off me.

One that sticks out is a 18-19yo girl who'd fractured her neck in surf at 15. Had to learn to walk again and feed herself. Graduated HSC with a UAI above 90.
Did you give her the job?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
3 ****ing sentances? I wouldn't of lasted 1 full sentance lol

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to an interview several years ago for a recruitment job for a head hunting company.
For some reason these guys tried to make it as intimidating for me as possible.
I've been asked questions that were hard to answer, but when you give an answer and it is shortly followed by the question 'why' is when you begin to think they're trying to boil your blood deliberately.
I made the second interview somehow which was a group interview and on the last activity I had to do a presentation for a business (cant remember the exact task but something to do with promoting a business) and during my presentation they would cut me off and bombard me with even more questions and criticisms till I got to a point that I snapped and stormed out of the room.
I quite obviously didn't get the job but when she did call, I gave her a couple of words of advice on how to interview people and I was less than nice to the bitch either.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm over interviews and all this second/third round interview bullshit lol

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interviewed for a job in distribution aka warehousing lol and bloke looked like the aussie version of me, started talking about sports and about 45mins later he let me leave. Rang me the next day to tell me i had the job and would have to give me an interview because we talked a bit too much about sport lol.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In grade 10 I needed a part time job to try and pay for physio on my knee, went into target for a sit down with a manager who was a friend of a friend and he asked me some bullshit about what I was hoping to achieve in the position long term. I laughed for the next 15 minutes, I couldn't take the guy seriously.

Needless to say I didn't get the job.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I applied for an Area Manager position with a Finance Company, the role was getting the people in retail stores to sell more products on Finance.

First was the phone interview with HR, killed it, 2nd was a Phone Interview with the GM, Killed it, 3rd was the Sit down chat with the GM and another girl from HR, Killed it, 4th was a 20 minute training session with 2 girls from HR, the GM and State sales Manager. (My training Session BTW way was on the Bulldogs :grinning: )

They had 4 people do training sessions, and I was third choice for 2 positions.

It hurts when you put so much effort into something and you don't get it.
But i'll keep trying

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Did you give her the job?
No. :p

Had about a dozen other candidates that had more availability. That's one of the sh*t bits about interviewing. Can't give 'em all a run. And even harder to say no to otherwise quality candidates.

Given the choice between an average Joe who's available 7 days that has room for development, and someone who has outstanding people skills but is only available Thurs nites and Sundays ... Often, I went with the more flexible option in the hope we could mold them into being a long term asset.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been in sales all my life ,retail (harvey norman) now real estate last 13 years thankfully sales jobs only real care about your drive and having a great attitude not silly questions

Status
Not open for further replies.