The injury crisis myth - why the Bulldogs have been lucky in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hi la familiars,

I am seeing a lot of talk about our so called injury crisis and how we are "doing so well" to have scraped together four wins under such "adversity". In reality we have been extremely lucky this year. If things hadn't gone our way we would easily be 1 and 8 right now.

Way too much is made of our injuries. Injuries are a part of rugby league and we have been extremely fortunate not to suffer them to players in key positions. It is a first grade rugby league side's responsibility to create squad depth so injuries to spare part players like forwards and outside backs can be easily covered. Take 10 first graders out of Melbourne's side and they won't skip a beat. So long as they have the bulk of their spine players, they'll be all good.

Melbourne did happen to be missing 50 percent of their spine when we played them and that is the only reason we were able to beat them. Likewise, we limped to victory against a very ordinary Cowboys side which was missing a lot of personnel, including Drinkwater, who is absolutely essential to everything they do.

Moving on to last weekend's game - we had a freebie game against a disinterested, lower tier team who were on a four day turnaround, with their best player eyeing the exit door, no l and we only just managed to limp to victory. If we had drawn the Dragons on a regular turnaround, they'd have torn us to pieces.

So I don't want to hear any more of this boo-hoo we have injuwies rubbish. The reality is the footy gods have been smiling down on us all season and if our luck takes a turn for the worse, we might well still be wooden spoon candidates.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
Hi la familiars,

I am seeing a lot of talk about our so called injury crisis and how we are "doing so well" to have scraped together four wins under such "adversity". In reality we have been extremely lucky this year. If things hadn't gone our way we would easily be 1 and 8 right now.

Way too much is made of our injuries. Injuries are a part of rugby league and we have been extremely fortunate not to suffer them to players in key positions. It is a first grade rugby league side's responsibility to create squad depth so injuries to spare part players like forwards and outside backs can be easily covered. Take 10 first graders out of Melbourne's side and they won't skip a beat. So long as they have the bulk of their spine players, they'll be all good.

Melbourne did happen to be missing 50 percent of their spine when we played them and that is the only reason we were able to beat them. Likewise, we limped to victory against a very ordinary Cowboys side which was missing a lot of personnel, including Drinkwater, who is absolutely essential to everything they do.

Moving on to last weekend's game - we had a freebie game against a disinterested, lower tier team who were on a four day turnaround, with their best player eyeing the exit door, no l and we only just managed to limp to victory. If we had drawn the Dragons on a regular turnaround, they'd have torn us to pieces.

So I don't want to hear any more of this boo-hoo we have injuwies rubbish. The reality is the footy gods have been smiling down on us all season and if our luck takes a turn for the worse, we might well still be wooden spoon candidates.
You're just clutching now.. let it go, baby

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Blah blah blah.
You seriously think we'd have beaten Melbourne if they had Munster, or the Cowboys if they had Drinkwater? You don't think the four day turnaround dented the Dragons' chances?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t read anything you wrote to be honest …

Just thought this was another thread to post crap in and get our post tally up. Still doesn’t mean I’m reading the opening post :tearsofjoy:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I didn’t read anything you wrote to be honest …

Just thought this was another thread to post crap in and get our post tally up. Still doesn’t mean I’m reading the opening post :tearsofjoy:
Well, you can’t teach a man who refuses to learn!

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hi la familiars,

Looking foward to your next Super Underachiever Villain.
Who will it be.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi la familiars,

Just keep your mouth full of that humble pie while you keep starting threads.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This thread will reach 10 pages….at least

Not gna lie @Flanagun you sure know what you’re doing

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gun, we've been both lucky and unlucky so far this season. But we deserve our 4 wins.

Every season teams come up against opposition who might be missing some players to injury, suspension or rep duties...it's just how it goes.

I too feel like we got lucky with storm and cows but we have also been unlucky in other games where injuries and restructuring as well as rough calls from refs have taken games away from our grasp.

What's important for us is that we win the majority of games we genuinely consider winnable against teams around the 8 or below. Hopefully we also jag a couple of wins against top 8 teams. That would keep us within striking distance of the top 8.

if we can then hit some form in the last 4 or 5 rounds, we could be playing finals.

That's the goal anyway...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Go support another team if you hate this one so much and annoy the shit out of another group of fans with your never ending trolling.
Wow! Some of you guys really got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

I don’t hate the team. I am just cognisant of its lack of ability.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Gun, we've been both lucky and unlucky so far this season. But we deserve our 4 wins.

Every season teams come up against opposition who might be missing some players to injury, suspension or rep duties...it's just how it goes.

I too feel like we got lucky with storm and cows but we have also been unlucky in other games where injuries and restructuring as well as rough calls from refs have taken games away from our grasp.

What's important for us is that we win the majority of games we genuinely consider winnable against teams around the 8 or below. Hopefully we also jag a couple of wins against top 8 teams. That would keep us within striking distance of the top 8.

if we can then hit some form in the last 4 or 5 rounds, we could be playing finals.

That's the goal anyway...
This is fair. Not saying all our luck has been good. I’m just tired of the excuses. Blaming injuries just fosters a poor me culture that is not conducive to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.