The heartbeat of Kimmorley

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
BRETT Kimmorley is driving to Westmead Hospital this particular morning because it's as much as the man can do.

Little Taya Gibson is already gone, cruelly taken by a Nelson Bay house fire, while her baby sister awaits a liver transplant in Sydney. Grandma lays in the Royal North Shore burns unit. Grandpa too.

This family who raised Kimmorley's wife Sharnie feeling a pain that makes crying after grand finals seem ridiculous. And so the Cronulla playmaker heads west to gather up cousin Blair, 17. Going not because he has answers. Who could? Simply hoping a day with his Sharkies might bring some joy to this mad footballing teen.

"It's only a little thing,'' Kimmorley shrugs. "But how couldn't you help?''

If only there really were 5000 Brett Kimmorleys jamming into Toyota Park tomorrow night. Every grinning mask a clone of this gritty Shark with 258 games, cleanskin name and Storm premiership tattoo inked on his butt.
Related Links

A footballer boasting 15 Tests but none of the bouquets. A lifetime of success but none of the love.
The greatest advertisement our game has never recognised. "Oh, when it comes to Noddy, the league really missed the boat,'' close friend and retired Kangaroo coach Chris Anderson says. "I mean, he's never really been thanked. Never really been appreciated. No one's ever stood up and said 'he's one of us'.''

But why? Why has such a glowing endorsement like Kimmorley never received the same sugar as, say, Willie Mason or Sonny Bill Williams?

Why has no one put Noddy on a Pepsi poster? Or hijacked a Daily Telegraph poll like they did Todd Carney?

Kimmorley has been slammed for playing style, lifestyle and leg-ups as an Anderson pet. He was the import who cruelled Preston Campbell. The impostor who robbed Joey Johns. A Shark held accountable for every local problem bar the Australia Day riots.

"And these criticisms, they've always mystified our family,'' older brother Craig concedes. "When you consider what Brett's achieved, his image off the field, it's baffling.''

And herein lies the heartbeat of Brett "Noddy'' Kimmorley.

This gutsy No.7 who weighs 84kg and stands only a centimetre above Cronulla's shortest Toyota Cup player. A father who had to have all three daughters' names tattooed around his right arm.

"Yeah, because the left bicep is no good. Snapped,'' he laughs. "The same tattoo would probably go round it twice.''

It's also why Kimmorley plays broken and needled. Surviving all 2007 with a busted wrist.

"And by busted I mean needing surgery,'' Sharks conditioner Trent Elkin says. "But Noddy never missed a game, never missed a session. Then come October he was wrapped in plaster from wrist to elbow.''

And you thought only redheads were forced to fight their entire lives.

Think back to 2000, when Noddy was dubbed a Melbourne mercenary for jetting to Sydney and Brisbane in search of a dollar. "I just wanted to come home and start a family,'' he shrugs. "If it was money, mate ... there were two deals better than the Northern Eagles.''

It was a similar story in his debut year at Cronulla, when the club lost seven straight and supporters passed Toyota Park each afternoon screaming "why don't you f... off Kimmorley?''.

"Yeah, then I threw that Origin intercept in '05,'' he smiles. "Couldn't go anywhere without someone saying 'why did you do that?'.'' And each time Kimmorley returns to the character borne from his old man Des, the Hunter league legend who encouraged his boys to kick Steedens into a giant baseball cage every afternoon.

A competitive streak living in his golf game, real estate course studies and the three kicking sessions he does each week alone. Kimmorley arrives two hours early for appearances on 2UE and Fox Sports News.

Recently calling his first Toyota Cup games after "watching more tape than I would for my own weekly preparation''.

It's why hunting down a negative Noddy story is impossible.

Because, sure, there's the coffee addiction, shocking diet and an inability to putt under pressure. One mate, too, still blueing after his two boys waltzed into the Kimmorley backyard sporting fairy wings and handbags.

"But with three girls,'' Noddy laughs, "we're always playing dress-ups. Which isn't to say I'm not worried. I mean, some of their friends are already bigger than me ... what happens when the girls are 18 with boyfriends?''

And herein, remember, lies the heartbeat to Brett "Noddy'' Kimmorley. This unfashionable competitor who plays busted, braids hair and remains determined to keep his golf game in single figures.

A Sharks discard who leaves the shire without complaint. A public speaker who now introduces himself as "the only man to win Origin games for both states''.

A fella who, on this particular morning, is driving his car toward Westmead Hospital.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24295317-5006066,00.html

Great guy off and on the field.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like him welcome to belmore mate!!

You'd lift our club into good spirit i should hope

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
Good read, thanks for posting Mr Rudd

MPS

I'm Old Gregg
Reaction score
Good purchase by the club. He is the right tonic for what ails us atm.

Can't wait to see him active. Hope he stays injury free.

Doggiez08

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need more players like him in the game and the best thing to come out of all this is that he will be in the blue and white next year.

doctr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was a very good read

cant wait to get him

Chappo

Bulldog Pride
Reaction score
Noddy will be a great addition to the club. We need more men like him in the team. They bring so much more to the team than ******s like Sonny Bill.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How many BPM's is it?

No, in all seriousness, it is great that he did that and as I keep on saying, signing Noddy and blokes with great character off the field is paramount to our success as a club.

That, and the leadership he will bring and lessons he will teach our younger players and halves will be invaluable.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Appart from his experience, he brings one big ingredient our squad is sorely lacking.

HUMILITY !

WestieDog

Zambuck
Reaction score
I have hoped for him to come to us for years. Never the flashiest half, but a thinking one, and that's the most crucial element. Shifty was a similar sort up until the last year and a bit when too many distractions took his edge away. Noddy's the kind of player that keeps a side moving forward with good options - this year we've been so much on the back foot and trying to counter from our own quarter every time we get the ball that the team is stuffed before they get started.

A big plus is that he seems like a genuine bloke who doesn't need to get on the piss and threaten cops to feel like a man. That will make a nice change from some of the knob-ends we've had around recently.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
So true that he has achieved so much, yet gets criticised for the blunders in big matches (includes me). :o

LOL @ the quote "the only man to win Origin games for both states''.

He will be great for us next year, with his off- and on-the field leadership qualities. I can't wait for season 09!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Although it's always a risk picking up older players, Noddy should be a good signing for us. We lack direction and noddy should give us that. Before this article i had taken little notice of him as a person but i'm happy that he is coming to the club. I have no doubt he will adapt to the club well since he is truly a journeyman now. I'd like to send my condolences to their family for their loss of Taya and wish the injured family members well in their recovery. I hope they can re-build their lives after the fire which has devastated them.

Nanna B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He will be welcomed at the Bulldogs. Bring on 2009

WestieDog

Zambuck
Reaction score
Although it's always a risk picking up older players, Noddy should be a good signing for us. We lack direction and noddy should give us that. Before this article i had taken little notice of him as a person but i'm happy that he is coming to the club. I have no doubt he will adapt to the club well since he is truly a journeyman now. I'd like to send my condolences to their family for their loss of Taya and wish the injured family members well in their recovery. I hope they can re-build their lives after the fire which has devastated them.
Well put, and 100% supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.