Soccer The Gunners Super Thread

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
just to think.. you could of had smalling and jones :p
Well Jones was ALWAYS going to United and as for Smalling, he needed a bit of development and I don't think he would have been as good with us considering our poor development of CBs.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gervinho, the only established player to join Arsenal this summer, summed up the mood after Nasri’s £24 million sale to Manchester City last week. “His exit has left me in pain,” the forward said. “I wanted to play with Samir because he is a big player. He promised to be there this season and then changed his mind.

“This is a different Arsenal. A new team without Nasri and Cesc. But we need to forget that and turn the page. We must think only about the future. I would have liked to have played with Cesc and Samir. They left to join big clubs, to try their luck elsewhere. One day I hope to have the opportunity to play with them again.”
mmhmm

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
So many rumours flying around, apparently Wenger is in France (lets hope its for Hazard). Young is confirmed, Santos/Mertesacker is pretty much confirmed and then there are still rumours of a number of other players. Not long to go.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So many rumours flying around, apparently Wenger is in France (lets hope its for Hazard). Young is confirmed, Santos/Mertesacker is pretty much confirmed and then there are still rumours of a number of other players. Not long to go.
Wenger is more than likely in France for Martin and M'Vila but hopefully Hazard is involved aswell. I really have no idea what to believe now. Rumours linking us with at least 10 other players and I have no idea which or how many we still have time to sign. I think there's about 16 hours left for Wenger to work some magic though so we'll find out soon enough.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mertesacker deal seemingly near completion after quotes from Low, the Germany manager:

"Very late yesterday evening, Per Mertesacker gave me information that there has been a serious offer coming in for his services," said Low.

"Werder Bremen have told him this.

"Therefore, I have allowed Per Mertesacker to be absent from training and our camp for today. We are expecting him back for Wednesday's training session."

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Well im happy with the 3 that have been brought in so far (Park, Santos, Mer) if we can get a midfielder (or maybe 2), i will give them credit but will still not understand why it couldnt be done earlier.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apparently Wenger has gone to France to negotiate personally with Marvin Martin and his club. Will be very excited if that happens, this kid is a future superstar.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
mertesacker is good but turns slower than an aircraft carrier

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well im happy with the 3 that have been brought in so far (Park, Santos, Mer) if we can get a midfielder (or maybe 2), i will give them credit but will still not understand why it couldnt be done earlier.
I'll tell you why. Because our board are reactive and not proactive. It's the same reason we didn't buy a CB in January. We were managing then (just) and they persevered with what we had. Although we struggled at times we were winning (Chelsea and Barca games in that time) so they didn't look to improve our team. Had they bought a CB who knows how different the season finishes.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
mertesacker is good but turns slower than an aircraft carrier
That's my biggest worry considering we play have been playing such a high line recently. Hopefully we sit back more now that we have Mertesacker (or will soon).

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
That high line has not worked at all, i dont understand why they persist with it.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope for your sake you at least get two of Martin, M'vila or Hazard. Still don't understand why you guys haven't at least shown interest in F Gago though.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't really think we need M'vila to be perfectly honest.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't really think we need M'vila to be perfectly honest.
I agree. Would much rather persist with Song and Frimpong. The only positive would be Song and M'Vila being our two holding mids with Wilshere being pushed forward and be our creative midfielder. Still seems a bit of a waste of 25-30mil (if you believe reports).

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree. Would much rather persist with Song and Frimpong. The only positive would be Song and M'Vila being our two holding mids with Wilshere being pushed forward and be our creative midfielder. Still seems a bit of a waste of 25-30mil (if you believe reports).
So would I, Frimpong looks like an absolute beast and has great energy. If we bring in a creative midfielder then I'll be happy not to bring in another DM. I still think Wilshere is a little way away from being able to play really well further up, but that's where he'll end up I believe.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Wenger is under the impression that if he doesn't sign M'Vila this window then Real, Man U and Chelsea will go into a bidding war with him next season. Could be signs that the board are finally loosening their grip on our profits and allowing Wenger to spend it back on the squad.