Opinion The Gould/Khoury/Warburton regime have combined all of our mistakes from the past decade, and repeated them in the present.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RL is a results proven sport and at this stage most of the jury is still out with regards to Gould and CC. Time will tell. You certainly never hear (for right or wrong) Penrith attributing any of their success to Gould. Most do but I've never seen them acknowledge it.

CC is eerily similar yes to previous Coaches in no experience and from Penrith BUT everyone is different so gets his own chance. Team selections and bench use have been poor many times but hopefully that's just a rookie thing.

Wrong about Fox, he's worth every penny. Not many of our pennies have been spent well over the years but he's the bomb. And prior to coming to us I wasn't a Fox fan tbh. He's invaluable on and off the field.

Right about no money thrown towards key positions in #7 and #1. Crichton is unproven and on hope he can do it.

Agree this is not year 1 of a rebuild, this is year 6 I think.

Young player wise we seem to be doing well, not sure how many were around before Gould and therefor not his doing?

Yes I'm sick of every year someone saying, "Next year we will start to see improvements".

I didn't think we were Top 8 certainties; I do think we could compete around it (8 to 12th) BUT we are underachieving regardless of injuries and am not a fan of the attitude and lack of testicular fortitude within the team. When teams rough us up we just show our bellies and take it without lube. A little bit of "fuk you" would go a long way!
I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Come mid next year, if we display little or no improvement, I'll be breathing fire on CC.

Gould will get alittle longer given his role can't be judged for a good 4 or 5 years, but he did appoint CC and I'm sure will be in his brains trust so he will ultimately share some blame if CC fails

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't liked Gould for decades however he has been the best thing for this club at this juncture because he is the grenade a club in the state we were in needed. He immediately persuaded our major sponsor to not interfere at football level and he also persuaded said major sponsor that hiring a mate as coach wasn't the best for this club. This season is a bitter pill for us long term suffering fans but I do see light at the end of the tunnel. Juniors are coming back online so I expect better quality youngsters than what we have seen in the last 5 seasons & case in point was the young winger debuting last week who looked the goods. Now Gould is shopping blokes like TJP to end his contract sooner and also Flanno & Thompson end their unhappy stints with us who are on big dough so we should have cap to have a go at players like Hunt

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gould (one of the best minds in RL and the man who turned the Panthers from perpetual cellar dwellers to multi-premiership winners): "There are going to be some difficult years ahead. It's going to take some time for us to become competitive again."
Some fucking guy on TK: "WHY WE NO WIN GAMES. SACK EVERYBODY
1684624624930.png"

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Stop being emotional and let it play out. If those mentioned weren't at the club, we would be the Moorebank Rams.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First things first - this isn’t a whinge thread, it’s a facts thread. So if anyone wants to refute, then refute away. Let’s hear it.

For me, the alarm bells started ringing as soon as we signed up Gould. An egotistical figure who’s happy to take full credit for any successes he’s been associated with, but notably disassociate from failures he’s been involved with, for which there’s been quite a few over the years.

The alarm bells continued to ring with just about every single key player and key staff appointment that he has delivered. Each one eerily similar in nature to the failed signings and key decisions in the past. Let me name a few;
- APPOINTMENT OF CLUB DICTATOR WITH ALMOST FULL CONTROL OVER KEY DECISIONS WITHIN THE FOOTBALL DEPT: Previously Hasler, now Gould.

- APPOINTMENT OF AN INEXPERIENCED/UNPROVEN HEAD COACH: We’ve gone from Pay (no previous first grade experience), to Barrett (unproven - failed at Manly with a great roster), to Ciraldo (no previous first grade experience). I feel the Ciraldo is potentially worst as we’ve been sucked in by an unproven Penrith assistant yet again, this time paying double the money for the pleasure

- OVERSPENDING ON FORWARDS AND OUTSIDE BACKS WITHOUT LOCKING DOWN KEY POSITIONS SUCH AS HALFBACK AND FULLBACK: think of the money we’ve pissed in the past on guys like Eastwood, Aaron Woods, Thompson, Nick Cotric, DWZ on huge money to name a few over the past few years. We’re repeating the dose now with signings of TPJ, Kikau, Addo Carr etc. Why is the money not going to the positions where we need it most!???

- SPENDING BIG ON WINGERS/CENTRES IN A BID TO MANUFACTURE A FULLBACK: Think DWZ, and now we’re doing the same with Steve Crichton!

I could rattle of many more examples of how we’re in the midst of replicating all of the past misdeeds over and over again right now. The facts that we are still not progressing (bottom of the ladder, worst for and worst against in the comp) just further fuels the fire that we’re fucked, and just shooting our selves in the foot time and time again.

I’m not buying Gusses bullshit about still being in essentially Year 1 of a 5 year rebuild. It’s bullshit. We should’ve seen obvious progress by now but we’ve gone nowhere, and if anything regressed further. I’m sick of reading all this blind faith from the fans put in Gus and Ciraldo. It’s getting sad

Let’s hear some arguments and evidence to the contrary, please!?
When your a basket case of a club, how do you attract elite players? Will they come if your not willing to pay overs? Will blokes like Brandon Smith for example be interested in playing for us or would he be drawn to a Club that for years has stability with a coach and systems in place, that have won recent premierships, run buy a wealthy business man that can help set him up for life?

You didnt state which coach and players you would have signed (available at the time).

Ok so lets speak facts - Which coach would you have signed that would have guaranteed better results?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
THe club is in a better position in terms of all teams except first grade - i dont agree with nor understand the signing of reynolds the extension of contracts for rfm topine the letting go of Davey, the selection of Okunbor. Nor do i agree with the emphasis on the pc culture stuff. Up until the Canberra game i thought the fg team was improving - but the last two weeks just fallen back into mediocrity. King is going backwards each week.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
THe club is in a better position in terms of all teams except first grade - i dont agree with nor understand the signing of reynolds the extension of contracts for rfm topine the letting go of Davey, the selection of Okunbor. Nor do i agree with the emphasis on the pc culture stuff. Up until the Canberra game i thought the fg team was improving - but the last two weeks just fallen back into mediocrity. King is going backwards each week.
Solid post. I'd even go back to thinking that Meaney is one of the only blokes I would keep. He always showed promise, even in that abysmal team we had back then. Now look at him. Had we kept the bloke we would have saved 500k per year not getting Crichton and had a FB for the next 10 years..ohh and a good goalkicker.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Solid post. I'd even go back to thinking that Meaney is one of the only blokes I would keep. He always showed promise, even in that abysmal team we had back then. Now look at him. Had we kept the bloke we would have saved 500k per year not getting Crichton and had a FB for the next 10 years..ohh and a good goalkicker.
BUT would have the coaching at the dogs been able to develop Meaney's game the way the storm system has.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
BUT would have the coaching at the dogs been able to develop Meaney's game the way the storm system has.
Think he always had it as it shone even through our crap team. I think yeah he could be just as good had he stayed. Never know but.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon Meaney would look good in our team too if we had Munster and Hughes feeding him. Meaney is good depth but IMO only in a good team. If Papz not injured he’s not even playing first grade

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
First things first - this isn’t a whinge thread, it’s a facts thread. So if anyone wants to refute, then refute away. Let’s hear it.

For me, the alarm bells started ringing as soon as we signed up Gould. An egotistical figure who’s happy to take full credit for any successes he’s been associated with, but notably disassociate from failures he’s been involved with, for which there’s been quite a few over the years.

The alarm bells continued to ring with just about every single key player and key staff appointment that he has delivered. Each one eerily similar in nature to the failed signings and key decisions in the past. Let me name a few;
- APPOINTMENT OF CLUB DICTATOR WITH ALMOST FULL CONTROL OVER KEY DECISIONS WITHIN THE FOOTBALL DEPT: Previously Hasler, now Gould.

- APPOINTMENT OF AN INEXPERIENCED/UNPROVEN HEAD COACH: We’ve gone from Pay (no previous first grade experience), to Barrett (unproven - failed at Manly with a great roster), to Ciraldo (no previous first grade experience). I feel the Ciraldo is potentially worst as we’ve been sucked in by an unproven Penrith assistant yet again, this time paying double the money for the pleasure

- OVERSPENDING ON FORWARDS AND OUTSIDE BACKS WITHOUT LOCKING DOWN KEY POSITIONS SUCH AS HALFBACK AND FULLBACK: think of the money we’ve pissed in the past on guys like Eastwood, Aaron Woods, Thompson, Nick Cotric, DWZ on huge money to name a few over the past few years. We’re repeating the dose now with signings of TPJ, Kikau, Addo Carr etc. Why is the money not going to the positions where we need it most!???

- SPENDING BIG ON WINGERS/CENTRES IN A BID TO MANUFACTURE A FULLBACK: Think DWZ, and now we’re doing the same with Steve Crichton!

I could rattle of many more examples of how we’re in the midst of replicating all of the past misdeeds over and over again right now. The facts that we are still not progressing (bottom of the ladder, worst for and worst against in the comp) just further fuels the fire that we’re fucked, and just shooting our selves in the foot time and time again.

I’m not buying Gusses bullshit about still being in essentially Year 1 of a 5 year rebuild. It’s bullshit. We should’ve seen obvious progress by now but we’ve gone nowhere, and if anything regressed further. I’m sick of reading all this blind faith from the fans put in Gus and Ciraldo. It’s getting sad

Let’s hear some arguments and evidence to the contrary, please!?
So what’s the solution. A lot of criticism, what’s your solution on all areas of the business and sport?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Your continuously raving on about forwards then you completely shit on the idea of signing a rep player forward who is in some good form? Let it make sense. We’re never getting Haas. It’s just a pure lazy suggestion. Newcastle however have showed recently they are willing to shop and buy so Saifiti is a chance for us.
D. Saifiti does very little for us. He doesn't compare well anymore to the best middles in the game.