The Final Word...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot

I'll unleash these on you
Reaction score
Its not ideal. I'm going more on the fact that he is quite creative on the fringes, and because SBW is the better lock but will not be moved their while Reni is in 13. Also, because alot of the way Inglis played in attack the other night reminded me of Reni.

Maitua as 5/8 for me is a balance thing because I don't believe we can have both Koup and Te Maari off the bench anymore, and also because 5/8 and lock aren't different positions really. One of them has to start now otherwise we could lose both of them. Ideally, SBW would be my 5/8 but I think that would be wasting a great forward....and it just won't happen (personally, I'd love to see him and Millard tearing it up out wide, btu we all know that won't happen either)

As for shifty...I love what he did in 2004, but the fact is he just didn't fire this year. Or last. Folkesy has dropped him constantly to shake him up and it doesn't seem to have a long term effect. I know its easy for us to all critique and we don't really understand the strain the players go through, but as I said previously, Folkes has to make long term-tough decisions. Roberts has done some good things when he has been the chief playmaker. A firing Sherwin was close to Johns on his day, but we haven't seen them days for a while.

Like every change I suggest, I hope I'm wrong if the opposite takes place and it fires...

RAMBO

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i dnt see how koups is similar to ryan... i see him quite explosive at times just like te maari

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going to go down that path I'd rather see Koups at 5/8th over Maitua but i doubt that either of them will end up there. Our halves will consist of either Sherwin, Holdsworth, Roberts, Sullivan, Groom or Barba in any combination

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Maitua can't pass or kick. These are two relatively important ingredients in a 5/8's game...

Koups is probably more of a chance in a Greg Bird sort of way.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shiftys' success in 04 and before came off the back of all the grubber kick trys' he set up.

He would always find space behind the line and we would score more trys off grubber kicks then any team in the NRL.

He's kicks close to the line were 2nd to none and that was the best area of his game (other areas weren't so great).

His short kicking game has been dud as of late!

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
his short kicking game has been dud simply because we havnt been getting into position to put those short kicks in... we need a big kicker, we need someone who can kick the ball down field, and find space... and the game against parra showed this.

our major problem is getting field position... i would like a stat showing how many times we had good field position, and how many times we scored when we had it.

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
his short kicking game has been dud simply because we havnt been getting into position to put those short kicks in... we need a big kicker, we need someone who can kick the ball down field, and find space... and the game against parra showed this.

our major problem is getting field position... i would like a stat showing how many times we had good field position, and how many times we scored when we had it.
And in that respect is where we miss Anasta. He had a huge kick.

Jus curious did we even get 1 40/20 this year?

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
Yeah, and thats the only way we miss Anasta. Not sure about the 40/20 thing... im pretty sure we got one... but dont know who kicked it.

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Folkes is to survive, he has to make tough calls.

If that means moving Reni to 6, and Roberts at 7, and making that the set-in-stone halves combination, then so be it. Reni is a natural 5/8 for the modern game.

Sherwin and Hughes may have to battle for the bench hooker spot.

1-5 are fine. Tonga will benefit from a full off-season that will not be mared by having to do rehab because of a re-construction. They need better.
Hazem is no longer guaranteed a spot, and this will make him hungrier, especially as he will want to play Origin again. Millard and Utai are fine. Alot of commentators forget the way Falau, Inu and Hayne play was a game that Utai was playing when he made his debut. And is still playing.

And, they have backs who will push them all the way.

The forward game is fine, but needs to be more mobile.. Anyteam with SBW, Mason and Koup is going to figure in the finals mix. Hughes will benefit from not having to play as many minutes (I think a good 37/43 split with Sullivan will benefit him) in the way Parra benefit from having Riddell and March play the way they do.

The bench will be a warzone. Only Te Maari/Koup (one will be starting) and Sullivan can bet on being on it for Rd 1 2008. I think Armit will be starter, leaving Tsolos, Cleal, Hickey, N.Armit, the guys from North Sydney and St George we signed, and Morrin to fight for the last 2 positions.

Its not that difficult really. I think Folkes persisted a little too long with players he hoped would come good, but just didn't.

What I would like to see starting in Rd 1

1 - Patten
2 - El Masri
3 - Millard
4 - Tonga
5 - Utai
6 - Maitua
7 - Roberts
8 - Armit
9 - Hughes
10-Mason
11-Te Maari (I think Koup is similar to Ryan, whereas Te Maari can be more explosive, so I pick him for variation...but we lose nothing if Koup starts
12 - Ryan
13 - SBW

14 - Sullivan
15 - Koup
16 - Cleal
17 - N.Armit (Its time)

you're post lost me there - yay lets have TWO 5/8's in the halves who can't place kicks 8 times out of ten. Want to kill our chances then go with that.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed AC

Roberts buckles at Halfback. Cannot handle the presure

Deception_2112

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did get one 40/20 kick.

Against the Tigers...Sherwin kicked it

JP72

Waterboy
Reaction score
will never happen, but i have two options folkes could opt for.
1. swap hughes to 5/8 and roberts to hooker, then move roberts to 5/8 when sully comes on to replace hughes.
2. This ones from left field, but the more i think about it the more i like the idea of moving millard to 5/8 and roberts to center or blood someone from p/l or the 20 s. Millard has good ball skills just not sure about his kicking game.
Unfortunately the money were paying sherwin, we might have to persist with him and hope he comes good.
Just another twist to the debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
you're post lost me there - yay lets have TWO 5/8's in the halves who can't place kicks 8 times out of ten. Want to kill our chances then go with that.
agreed...5/8th is already enough pressure him...his kicking game worries me..because like there are games where he has a blinder then for the most par it looks pretty ordinary

OzHeat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Patten
2. El Masri
3. Millard
4. Tonga
5. Utai
6. one with some brain
7. one wit a very working brain
8. Armit
9. sherwin
10. Mason
11. Williams
12. Ryan
13. Maitua

14. Sullivan
15. Kouparitsas
16. Te Maari
17. Hickey

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
sorry ozheat i cant c both Koups and Lee both on the bench unless 1 plays prop which wont happen Koups wont b ready in time so Lee will b on the bench along with either briggs/tsoulos/leano

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Patten
2. El Masri
3. Millard
4. Tonga
5. Utai
6. one with some brain
7. one wit a very working brain
8. Armit
9. sherwin