The EVILS of Pokies

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta spend 400 to win a 1000, unless you up bet on the wave don't bother.
Highly addictive, always have a friend close by.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If I ever play them I put in what I’m prepared to lose, play minimum of $10 hits. I either win or lose very quickly and then go and have a drink with my mates. I actually find them fun but only play a couple of times a year

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
If I ever play them I put in what I’m prepared to lose, play minimum of $10 hits. I either win or lose very quickly and then go and have a drink with my mates. I actually find them fun but only play a couple of times a year
I’m the same i might pop a $50 in mostly lose sometimes win $300 but that is only two or three times a year I’ll play them

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with moderation of anything I say.
Addiction is cruel for everyone it effects.
Anyone struggling with addiction, there are more options today than there were in previous years.
Recovery must come from the individual.
Nothing wrong with thoughtfully planting a seed so to speak as a mate or loved one.
Some day they may turn to you and if you can, be ready for it so you can steer them to someone who has experince with recovery.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I Was 17. Got paid for the week Gave my mum my bank card to do shopping.
Silly me should have known better.
She comes back a few hours later drunk as fuck says she was robbed at the ATM. Gors on to tell me she couldn't report it to police because I would get in trouble for letting her use my bank card
My weeks wages went through the pokies.

Ahh the joys of having a cuntyhead mother.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
She comes back a few hours later drunk as fuck says she was robbed at the ATM. Gors on to tell me she couldn't report it to police because I would get in trouble for letting her use my bank card

That’s shit mate. Kind of seeing a similar thing happen with my sister and her kid but not gambling just a lot of other issues. The poor little girl better be strong or she has no hope.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s shit mate. Kind of seeing a similar thing happen with my sister and her kid but not gambling just a lot of other issues. The poor little girl better be strong or she has no hope.
Yeah its a scary world. I had it tough But I saw others that had a hell of alot worse than me.

I hope your niece grows strong and is able to have a great life.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about this..my Cousin’s wife cuts a swathe through the pokies..meant he had to access his Super to pay for stuff.. means all the kids have hang ups..For some it’s a rabbit hole they can’t escape from..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope things get better man.. I hope her little girl can battle through and in the end soar to the top of Everest..

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with moderation of anything I say.
Addiction is cruel for everyone it effects.
Anyone struggling with addiction, there are more options today than there were in previous years.
Recovery must come from the individual.
Nothing wrong with thoughtfully planting a seed so to speak as a mate or loved one.
Man I agree but with the pokies..you hide it
sneak off, Chuck 100s in every day. Gotta get that fix.

Cured ..nah but just will not play. Thought comes up every now and then but I can push it away.
I think about what I was then and now.

But folk can have a flutter and walk away. Like a drink.. we're not all alchos.
But some of us just get addicted.
Read somewhere maybe a week back on the millions we lose on these bastards.

I came here opened up got support and man it helped. Every day man is so much better free of these things.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Cured ..nah but just will not play. Thought comes up every now and then but I can push it away.

I came here opened up got support and man it helped. Every day man is so much better free of these things.
Great to hear..truly!

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Not sure if someone else has posted what I'm about to tell you but if they have apologies.

Back in the 90's worked for a major bank financing middle of the range $ loans. To finance poker machine purchases, we got to see books. Pokies back then, the return was programmed at between 8 and 12%. No idea where it is today but wouldn't be surprised if its the same. After tax and overheads, return for the pub was between 20 and 30%.

Also know the sounds, lights etc. have been tested to provide maximum stimulus. Sure I read somewhere that pokies kick up the brains serotonin giving you a buzz. Combined with the sensory experience, its a buzz.

Just trying to give you a picture of how fckd up pokies are. Designed to pull u in and rip your intestines out financially. Worst I've put into a pokie is around $100 - mainly as I was trying to pull the asian chick next to me. After the $100 - she wasn't really worth it.

But jokes aside - addiction is a problem because it impacts more than just the person. Still amazed they are still a thing. The shit above isn't exactly a secret.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Very glad your in a better place HD. I have no experience with gambling addiction but I do have experience with other addiction so to speak.
Its been quite a few years without now (actually the compulsion was removed completely though a process) but your right, not cured.
If you ever wanna chat, PM me.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Back in the 90's worked for a major bank financing middle of the range $ loans.
You told us you were you in your 30’s?? Knew you were a banker though