News The Dogs’ secret 24-hour Gould talks set to turn sleeping giant into ‘contender’

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould’s decision to sign with the Bulldogs as the club’s new general manager of football has been lauded as a masterstroke that can restore the embattled side to their former glory - and it all happened in top secret within a whirlwind 24 hours.

Gould quit his role with the Warriors on Friday due to the difficulties presented by the Covid-19 pandemic and will link up with the club he served as a player and premiership-winning coach.

“This club gifted me my first ever coaching appointment back in 1986. To be returning to the Bulldogs many years later, in this role, is truly exciting,” said Gould.

“I look forward to rekindling old friendships, making new friendships, and enjoying the club’s journey back to the top of the National Rugby League”.

Gould coached the Bulldogs to a premiership in 1988 after playing 40 games for the club and chairman John Khoury said it gave the club a chance to become a “premiership contender” once again.
Phil has a great relationship with head coach Trent Barrett and we firmly believe that he can help to drive us forward to getting back to where we need to be: namely as a premiership contender once again,” he said.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Gould returned to the Dogs’ radar following the 66-0 demolition by Manly two weeks ago, with the two parties having initially broken off talks in early June.

But his inability to travel to New Zealand regularly due to COVID-19 left him frustrated, and Canterbury’s inability to not concede 11 tries to Manly with five players out after failing to follow COVID restrictions, meant that both Gould and the Bulldogs were pushed back to the negotiating table.

The SMH reports that the offer arrived on Gould’s lap just 24 hours before the official announcement, with chairman John Khoury keeping negotiations top secret, only telling his board that he had signed on the dotted line once the ink was dry on Friday.

Similarly, coach Tent Barrett was only told shortly afterwards, while the rest of the squad only found out as they watched Fox League’s live coverage of Friday night’s games from their quarantine hub on the Gold Coast.

That view was echoed by the Fox Leauge panel as news of Gould’s defection broke on Friday.

Greg Alexander, who worked alongside Gould until the latter quit Penrith in 2019, said the incoming general manager of football understood how the club worked.

“It’s huge. He’s got that Bulldogs DNA in him, even though he’s a Panther at heart,” Alexander said.

“He’s a unique character. There’s not too many people in the game that can cover as many jobs as Gus.

“Obviously Gus’ experience at Penrith over the last eight years until he moved on will put him in a great position to do some things at the Dogs that they need.”

One of Gould’s remits will likely be overhauling Canterbury’s junior program and helping recruit for the first-grade side.

That has been one of the stories behind Penrith’s success in recent years and former Bulldogs star Braith Anasta said the footballing intellect of Gould could help revive the club’s past glories.

“I think it’s a great decision because not only is he an ex-player, he’s won a premiership there as a coach, and he gets the Bulldogs way,” Anasta said.

“He really does. He knows what it takes to be a Bulldog. He knows what he wants to instil in that club.

“I’m sure of it, because I’ve heard him say it a million times before, because he was there when they had so much success.

“But also, he’s one of the brightest minds and intelligent football brains in the business. I think it’s a good combination because he gets both, and I think he’ll do a really good job. And they probably need it.”

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the way koury goes about his business. No leaks to the media, no risk by telling people his plans until they are set in stone. Certainly getting the job done at the moment. Congrats to him and the board for some positive moves since they’ve been in charge

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould’s decision to sign with the Bulldogs as the club’s new general manager of football has been lauded as a masterstroke that can restore the embattled side to their former glory - and it all happened in top secret within a whirlwind 24 hours.

Gould quit his role with the Warriors on Friday due to the difficulties presented by the Covid-19 pandemic and will link up with the club he served as a player and premiership-winning coach.

“This club gifted me my first ever coaching appointment back in 1986. To be returning to the Bulldogs many years later, in this role, is truly exciting,” said Gould.

“I look forward to rekindling old friendships, making new friendships, and enjoying the club’s journey back to the top of the National Rugby League”.

Gould coached the Bulldogs to a premiership in 1988 after playing 40 games for the club and chairman John Khoury said it gave the club a chance to become a “premiership contender” once again.
Phil has a great relationship with head coach Trent Barrett and we firmly believe that he can help to drive us forward to getting back to where we need to be: namely as a premiership contender once again,” he said.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Gould returned to the Dogs’ radar following the 66-0 demolition by Manly two weeks ago, with the two parties having initially broken off talks in early June.

But his inability to travel to New Zealand regularly due to COVID-19 left him frustrated, and Canterbury’s inability to not concede 11 tries to Manly with five players out after failing to follow COVID restrictions, meant that both Gould and the Bulldogs were pushed back to the negotiating table.

The SMH reports that the offer arrived on Gould’s lap just 24 hours before the official announcement, with chairman John Khoury keeping negotiations top secret, only telling his board that he had signed on the dotted line once the ink was dry on Friday.

Similarly, coach Tent Barrett was only told shortly afterwards, while the rest of the squad only found out as they watched Fox League’s live coverage of Friday night’s games from their quarantine hub on the Gold Coast.

That view was echoed by the Fox Leauge panel as news of Gould’s defection broke on Friday.

Greg Alexander, who worked alongside Gould until the latter quit Penrith in 2019, said the incoming general manager of football understood how the club worked.

“It’s huge. He’s got that Bulldogs DNA in him, even though he’s a Panther at heart,” Alexander said.

“He’s a unique character. There’s not too many people in the game that can cover as many jobs as Gus.

“Obviously Gus’ experience at Penrith over the last eight years until he moved on will put him in a great position to do some things at the Dogs that they need.”

One of Gould’s remits will likely be overhauling Canterbury’s junior program and helping recruit for the first-grade side.

That has been one of the stories behind Penrith’s success in recent years and former Bulldogs star Braith Anasta said the footballing intellect of Gould could help revive the club’s past glories.

“I think it’s a great decision because not only is he an ex-player, he’s won a premiership there as a coach, and he gets the Bulldogs way,” Anasta said.

“He really does. He knows what it takes to be a Bulldog. He knows what he wants to instil in that club.

“I’m sure of it, because I’ve heard him say it a million times before, because he was there when they had so much success.

“But also, he’s one of the brightest minds and intelligent football brains in the business. I think it’s a good combination because he gets both, and I think he’ll do a really good job. And they probably need it.”
Well written, it’s exciting news. He will sort us out.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We've gone from the media's punching bag to an exciting club with a bunch of buzz around it... Gus will be huge for our junior development and creating pathways. He's joined at the perfect time considering this is our best batch of juniors in a long time.

He'll also help massively with recruitment due to all of his connections with player managers and people at different clubs. He has a great understanding of the history and culture of the club which is important. Welcome back Gus!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can you already see the influence he’s having on the media, the stories are positive towards the club, Khoury and Warburton just hired the NRL equivalent of the Godfather and everyone is playing nicely again.

Good times ahead.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue, the building blocks are now falling into place boys and girls,the future is looking much brighter from the front office through all departments. Two or three more astute signings and we are on our way!

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
hopefully he can bring the right people to the club hopefully people like Mark Ogre Omeley a proper hard ass foward whos cutting his coaching craft at newcastle

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can you already see the influence he’s having on the media, the stories are positive towards the club, Khoury and Warburton just hired the NRL equivalent of the Godfather and everyone is playing nicely again.

Good times ahead.
Yep, it’s going to kill that massive dickhead Danny Weedler to have to write positive stories about us now.