The definition of a do or die mentality

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Price's ungracious 'where's Canterbury?' speech after winning the 1986 grand final fuelled a fair bit of anger at the time. I remember I was at the game and there was genuine animosity in the crowd. There have been quite a few ups and downs in my many years as a fan but that is still the worst I have ever felt. On the bright side, it appears Karma has proven to be a bitch for Parramatta as they haven't had the chance to make any victory speeches again.

Price was very salty about missing the Australian captaincy to Dr. George Peponis in 1979 and felt it was based on ethnicity and that Peter Moore had overplayed his hand in the appointment. We then beat them as major underdogs in the 1979 Preliminary Final (from memory, he was sent off in the closing stages as well) and his hatred for our club was solidified. We reciprocated the feeling in kind.
I know to some he's a legend of the game, but I have always despised Ray Price. Not a gracious, let alone champion's bone in his body. For so many years I gagged on the platitudes served to him. All I remember from the 80's is him seldom able to get up after being tackled and his dirty play in the ruck

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know to some he's a legend of the game, but I have always despised Ray Price. Not a gracious, let alone champion's bone in his body. For so many years I gagged on the platitudes served to him. All I remember from the 80's is him seldom able to get up after being tackled and his dirty play in the ruck
That was his James Brown routine. Watch at the 4.55 mark, and you'll see what I mean:
James Brown performs "Please Please Please" at the TAMI Show (Live) - YouTube

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Carige is he still alive lol
He lost it for Parra and the kick wasn't the only error he made that day, he should have been voted Bulldogs man of the match...
He played in a pre-season game a few years back for the Ells and stuffed it up for them then as well.

Malla

Reaction score
He lost it for Parra and the kick wasn't the only error he made that day, he should have been voted Bulldogs man of the match...
He played in a pre-season game a few years back for the Ells and stuffed it up for them then as well.
I remember vividly he mad numerous errors. I was listening on radio at the time. Then watching the replay the day after (tape recorded) I felt awful for him haha oh well.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nashy would have no idea why Parra played at Belmore.
Well I can theorise that since we are neighbours we used to get along well and shared supporters to a degree. At least before 98.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well I can theorise that since we are neighbours we used to get along well and shared supporters to a degree. At least before 98.
Nah.

We offered the cheapest rent.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you get out of being a troll?
If not trolling, you are absolutely clueless in your commentary in this thread alone!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, it started in the 70s

Those of us old enough to remember…

76 prelim final Parra did us over

78 elimination final - we had Parra beaten after Turvey scored 2 brilliant individual tries, then they came back late to get us 17-15

79 prelim final - my first finals match at the SCG. Parra score first through a former Berry (Garry Dowling) but we come home strong through the brilliance of Turvey and Garry Hughes to get Glossop’s babes into the GF.

And so a rivalry is born
who could forget Turvey's magical solo try in the 79 GF qualifier that put the Dogs in the lead over Parra.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
who could forget Turvey's magical solo try in the 79 GF qualifier that put the Dogs in the lead over Parra.
Nice try but omg these videos are cringy an under 17 team today would knock them into Lebanon

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice try but omg these videos are cringy an under 17 team today would knock them into Lebanon
What do you expect from an era when this was their second job?
A job they played on weekends for the love of it.

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The game is different these days but we shouldn't disregard the athletes from the past as inferior without fully understanding the changes.

We look at Payne Haas as a phenomenon these days because he plays 60 minutes as a front rower whilst most of the middles play just over 40 minutes. Back in 1979, they had no interchange and only two reserves. Forwards played the full 80 minutes as there were no strategic replacements in case an injury occurred.

There was no match review committee or bunker watching every play, and, as a result, the game was a much more violent version than what we have today.

In other words, the game was very much about attrition which would see opportunities open up for the elusive, fast players as the bigger men fatigued towards the end of the game.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Never forget the wall created by the late Jack Gibson for Parramatta. Three or four players would turn their backs and one would receive the ball and take off. It worked a gem until Geoff robbo Robinson could not figure who actually ended up with the ball so he took them all out. unfortunately their kidneys could not withstand another hit and was the end of that exercise.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why 99? I said 98.
I do agree that there were rumblings when Parra took four of those players but I think it’s pretty unanimous in league circles that we were the bad guys there. Those 4 stayed loyal to ARL but we sold out to News Ltd. So we villain.
Befrie that we had a nice rivalry with the raiders and Penrith and were amicable with eels.
I’d say 80s was more Nadal v Federer but after 98 it was more Russia and Ukraine. Brother wars.
Even @Foxalldayeveryday said the same thing
What dimension were you born in?... The rivalry with Parramatta did indeed start in the 80's in this dimension.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
What dimension were you born in?... The rivalry with Parramatta did indeed start in the 80's in this dimension.
I love how’s doggs fans love to re write history to suit they poetry.