News The Dally M leader and two-time reject Ciraldo wants to build Bulldogs around

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been a big supporter of kiraz and really hoping he would become a club legend for the bulldogs for a couple of reasons.

Mostly for the fans.
Us bulldogs fans really need a player to get behind, and excite us like sbw and Terry lamb so on so on have done before.

We really haven't had a player the fans kids mostly can really get behind.
Mostly for younger fans.

Kiraz is perfect.
Because he is Lebanese.

The local kids in the area can relate to him.
Give the misguided hectic lebanese youth of the area a successful respectful role model to look up to

Kiraz ticks all the boxes.

The kid in my opinion could be a future captain of our club.

I'm really enjoying his rise to success and really hope he can kick on to become an origin player

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals how Knights let unlikely Dally M leader go to the Dogs on 'genius' $40k deal!
[emoji438] Wide World of Sports

Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould has revealed how the club came to sign shock Dally M leader Jacob Kiraz on a paltry $40,000 deal, declaring that the move has made him "look a genius".

Kiraz has enjoyed an outstanding start to the season, playing a starring role for the 2-1 Bulldogs through the first three rounds. He sits atop the Dally M leaderboard with 11 points, two ahead of Payne Haas and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.

The 21-year-old returned to the club that knocked him back twice as a junior on a $1000-per-year train-and-trial deal, before making his debut last season and has not looked back since.

Gould described Kiraz as a "great kid", adding that he was "wholehearted" and revealed his stunned reaction to seeing the powerful winger in action for the first time on the training track.

"I'd never seen him play, so I did some homework on him," he told Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles With Gus podcast.

"He came down to us on $40,000.

"I remember walking into training around Christmas time ... I'm sitting there in the heat and this big gangly thing just goes loping past and I said, 'Who the hell is that?', and they said, 'That's that boy from Newcastle, Kiraz'. I said, 'That's him?' He said, 'Yeah'. I said, 'Wow, he's going to make me look a genius'.

"Right from the time he started to play, he was a ball-runner and you couldn't contain him. He had big long gangly features and he was a strong runner.

"We ran into COVID and injury problems early last year, we were playing the Broncos and we had to get a couple of players qualified and he and Billy Tsikrikas made their debut. They weren't anywhere near the top 30 and (Kiraz) was the best player on the field.

"I immediately renewed his contract and signed him up and I'm going to have to renew it and sign him up again."

Gould said Kiraz had ended up back at Belmore after his manager approached him following stints at the Cowboys and Knights that were ruined by COVID-19.

"He'd actually signed a contract to go to the Cowboys when he was younger and got identified by a Cowboy talent scout," he said.

"He went up there but COVID hit and there was no lower grade or development football, so he came back home. That talent scout then moved from the Cowboys to the Newcastle Knights ... so he went to the Newcastle Knights. His deal was staggered from an incentive deal, to a contract, to maybe a lower-tier top 30, but again COVID hit the following year.

"So he was training but not playing and he'd gone two years without football and because of his contract he'd suddenly found his way into the top 30.

"Well the first grade coach is looking for forwards and he's got this kid Kiraz he hasn't seen play for two years, he's never seen him play. The talent scout said, 'Oh I think he's a good player', but the coach just said, 'Oh well, we need forwards, if we need to move someone, move him'."

The Knights' loss has wound up being Gould and the Bulldogs' major gain, with Kiraz scoring two tries in three appearances so far to go along with his six tries last season.

The Bulldogs will hope Kiraz's match-winning exploits travel across the Tasman when the team faces the red-hot Warriors in New Zealand in round four.
Was waiting for this one to be posted as djdeeps third kiraz thread this week haha

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was waiting for this one to be posted as djdeeps third kiraz thread this week haha
I know, all the media platforms circulate the same rehashed story’s, they just change the subject line add a few extra words & names then post it to socials to keep up their click bait results .. does TK really need a new thread each time they do it, if it has relevant info just boost the exisiting thread with the info … it’s not that hard [emoji849]

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I know, all the media platforms circulate the same rehashed story’s, they just change the subject line add a few extra words & names then post it to socials to keep up their click bait results .. does TK really need a new thread each time they do it, if it has relevant info just boost the exisiting thread with the info … it’s not that hard [emoji849]
Yes, it is (hard), they would actually have to read other threads, much easier to just to keep starting your own.

Always a Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it is (hard), they would actually have to read other threads, much easier to just to keep starting your own.

Always a Bulldog
You don’t even have to read them, go the the relevant thread, check dates of the last few comments, if you have new info thats relevant and hasn’t been recently posted, post away till your hearts content ..

Must be something exciting about starting a new thread .. i don’t get it …

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Less than 18 months ago, Jacob Kiraz was still earning $1000 a year on a train-and-trial deal at the Bulldogs, the club that twice knocked him back as a junior.
Now Kiraz is top of the Dally M Medal voting, from the wing, and Cameron Ciraldo plans to build his Belmore foundations around him.

“Jacob is a winner – he will fight to win anything,” Ciraldo said following Canterbury’s 26-12 upset of Melbourne two weeks ago.

“He’s what we want to build the Bulldogs on, someone like that.

“I’m really happy with the way Jacob played, but I’m not surprised by it. That’s the way he trains every day, it’s the way he prepares, and it’s why he hates losing.

“If we can get everyone having that mentality then we are going to be a hard team to beat.”

Kiraz scored two tries that night, broke 10 tackles and powered through 235 running metres from 24 carries.

He added another 283 metres from 25 runs in Sunday’s win over the Tigers, in front of friends, family and his own little blue and white fiefdom as “King Kiraz″⁣, so crowned by the Belmore faithful.

“I didn’t know he said that – jeez that’s not bad from the coach is it?” Kiraz said when Ciraldo’s high praise was put to him by the Herald.

“Every game I play, I go out there to win. I play with all my heart, it’s pretty simple.

“I love this club and Cam’s been massive for me, he’s helped with my development so much since coming here. He’s given us all the tools to go out and win for this club.”

Kiraz’s road back to Belmore has been trotted out a couple of times now, and will be a few more times as an all too rare Bulldogs junior made good.

Eleven Dally M points in the NRL’s new 3-2-1 format – awarded by two judges each game this season – have him two points clear of Origin stars Payne Haas and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

After a hat-trick against Newcastle last year, the Knights were criticised for letting him leave to take up that train-and-trial deal at Canterbury.

Kiraz has previously been miffed by twice missing out on the Bulldogs’ Harold Matthews and SG Ball squads, coming through the Dragons ranks instead before stints in Townsville and Newcastle.

Now he’s back home, in the same childhood bedroom that was adorned with Bulldogs posters growing up, with Phil Gould planning to extend Kiraz’s deal until the end of 2024 as well.

These days, the 21-year-old with five Test caps for Lebanon is more philosophical about the rise in Canterbury colours that took a while coming, too.

“When I was younger I didn’t get picked for Harold Matts or anything like that,” Kiraz said.

“As a kid, you get heartbroken, but I just kept going. I don’t know if there were doubts – I always knew I had the ability, I just needed the opportunity. I just worked my arse off.

“So now you see me back at my junior club, it means the world to me.

“My mum and dad, when I left home as a young kid, it’s not really common in our culture to leave home.

“It means the world to my brothers, my sisters, all my cousins are all Bulldogs fans. I’ve moved back into my old bedroom and I won’t be moving now until I’m married.”
Every young player deserves a real chance, to be coached by proper coaching team, the rest is up to the player.
Funny enough after the first trial I said to some family and friends I have a feeling the time will come at the end of this season when our club will have to make some tough decisions on retentions as a result of improved performances.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score