News The Dally M leader and two-time reject Ciraldo wants to build Bulldogs around

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less than 18 months ago, Jacob Kiraz was still earning $1000 a year on a train-and-trial deal at the Bulldogs, the club that twice knocked him back as a junior.
Now Kiraz is top of the Dally M Medal voting, from the wing, and Cameron Ciraldo plans to build his Belmore foundations around him.

“Jacob is a winner – he will fight to win anything,” Ciraldo said following Canterbury’s 26-12 upset of Melbourne two weeks ago.

“He’s what we want to build the Bulldogs on, someone like that.

“I’m really happy with the way Jacob played, but I’m not surprised by it. That’s the way he trains every day, it’s the way he prepares, and it’s why he hates losing.

“If we can get everyone having that mentality then we are going to be a hard team to beat.”

Kiraz scored two tries that night, broke 10 tackles and powered through 235 running metres from 24 carries.

He added another 283 metres from 25 runs in Sunday’s win over the Tigers, in front of friends, family and his own little blue and white fiefdom as “King Kiraz″⁣, so crowned by the Belmore faithful.

“I didn’t know he said that – jeez that’s not bad from the coach is it?” Kiraz said when Ciraldo’s high praise was put to him by the Herald.

“Every game I play, I go out there to win. I play with all my heart, it’s pretty simple.

“I love this club and Cam’s been massive for me, he’s helped with my development so much since coming here. He’s given us all the tools to go out and win for this club.”

Kiraz’s road back to Belmore has been trotted out a couple of times now, and will be a few more times as an all too rare Bulldogs junior made good.

Eleven Dally M points in the NRL’s new 3-2-1 format – awarded by two judges each game this season – have him two points clear of Origin stars Payne Haas and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

After a hat-trick against Newcastle last year, the Knights were criticised for letting him leave to take up that train-and-trial deal at Canterbury.

Kiraz has previously been miffed by twice missing out on the Bulldogs’ Harold Matthews and SG Ball squads, coming through the Dragons ranks instead before stints in Townsville and Newcastle.

Now he’s back home, in the same childhood bedroom that was adorned with Bulldogs posters growing up, with Phil Gould planning to extend Kiraz’s deal until the end of 2024 as well.

These days, the 21-year-old with five Test caps for Lebanon is more philosophical about the rise in Canterbury colours that took a while coming, too.

“When I was younger I didn’t get picked for Harold Matts or anything like that,” Kiraz said.

“As a kid, you get heartbroken, but I just kept going. I don’t know if there were doubts – I always knew I had the ability, I just needed the opportunity. I just worked my arse off.

“So now you see me back at my junior club, it means the world to me.

“My mum and dad, when I left home as a young kid, it’s not really common in our culture to leave home.

“It means the world to my brothers, my sisters, all my cousins are all Bulldogs fans. I’ve moved back into my old bedroom and I won’t be moving now until I’m married.”

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well Done Jacob, is matching his ability with his determination for success.
Plays with passion.
Makes every hit up count, there's no half hearted effort.
Real leadership qualities he'd make a good captain in the future if he keeps it up.

How good would it be in the future for our Bankstown area with this guy and hopefully
Rajab have a long career with us.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story. The glory boy big name name signings typically get all the headlines but we need to look after guys like kiraz who are low maintenance and bleed for the club.
Sign him to a long term deal asap far better value than the likes of Flanagan, cotric, Tpj, thommo

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well Done Jacob, is matching his ability with his determination for success.
Plays with passion.
Makes every hit up count, there's no half hearted effort.
Real leadership qualities he'd make a good captain in the future if he keeps it up.

How good would it be in the future for our Bankstown area with this guy and hopefully
Rajab have a long career with us.
Rarely a backward step when getting tackled.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate this take in the modern game.

Wingers touch the ball more, and his output can’t be replicated playing as a 3 or 4. His kick returns, or hit ups on 2nd or 3rd off the ruck are where he makes so many metres.
Yep 100% correct.

The days of players being “wasted on the wing” were gone a long time ago.

You see with JAC now that occasionally he will slot into centre. Hopefully that happens with Kiraz as well

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hardly wasted! He is killing it! Did you not realise he is leading the Dally M voting?
No way! Just heard that now! Lol

He is going awesome but I think he can be unleashed more in the centres. Don't want the beast being held back is my point which I thought would be obvious...

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep 100% correct.

The days of players being “wasted on the wing” were gone a long time ago.

You see with JAC now that occasionally he will slot into centre. Hopefully that happens with Kiraz as well
Josh Hannay said it best - modern centres are becoming so few because:

1) If you have speed, shaft them to the wing
2) If you have size, move to back row

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardly wasted! He is killing it! Did you not realise he is leading the Dally M voting?
and I thought we had covered off that winger and centre are really only defensive positions in the new CC world. Winger and Centre can and will regularly swap positions. I think it takes advantage of both their strengths, Avo speed and Kiraz strength... same on the other side with The Fox and The Hound.