Rumour The Canterbury Bulldogs will offer Gold Coast Titans forward Tino Fa’asuamaleaui a $4 million contract – and a share in a pub

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Graham wasn't being chased by every NRL club like Tino and Haas would be. Although Thompson hasn't worked out I'd like to see more English players seriously looked at.

The club would obviously want to sign Haas and Tino and would offer them a tonne. But they're unlikely to be interested when they can earn similar money at their current clubs. It's not North Korea. We can't make them sign for us against their will.
All I expect is that we put a competitive offer on the table, to not even try is pathetic and unambitious.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
raiders don't need forwards.
dolphins and dragons are a good shout
don't think tigers need forwards when they need better outside backs and a half now that brooks is gone
Any club that could generate enough cap space would make a run at Tino and Haas regardless of who they already have in their squad and figure out the rest later.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's all well and good to say we need to sign Tino and Haas. Get it done Gus.. Make them an offer they can't refuse..

But the reality is that both are already Origin stars. Both are well paid and can get huge money where they are or from every other club who would make room to sign them..

So put yourself in their shoes.. Why are they signing with us when they can choose any team and we haven't made the finals in 8 years and look like a rabble right now?
The top teams aren't going to pay the money we'll offer/should offer. It's hard for a marquee player to turn down an extra 200-300k a year and/or a longer term contract.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The top teams aren't going to pay the money we'll offer/should offer. It's hard for a player to turn down an extra 200-300k a year and/or a longer term contract.
Not really.. Look at Munster and Moses.. They stay for less. With the cap going up so much the stronger clubs are able to hang onto key players more than before.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Another forward people sleeping on is Ata Mariota from Canberra. He'd be a good steal signed to Canberra until end of 24'. Would be suss him out come Nov 1

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not really.. Look at Munster and Moses.. They stay for a bit less and with the cap going up so much these clubs are able to hang onto key players more than before.
Moses on 1.2m a year at Eel and got an extra year hence the stall in contract negotiations (were clubs offering 1.4m+ for Moses? Maybe Tiger but they're much less attractive than us for e.g.) Storm used their betting TPA thing to help retain players. Munster also on 1.3m a year (were teams offering 1.5m+ for Munster? Again maybe Tiger or Dolphin). That extra 200-300k at least gets you in the discussion. I know we can't continue to not sign key marquee players to our roster.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Moses on 1.2m a year at Eel and got an extra year hence the stall in contract negotiations (were clubs offering 1.4m+ for Moses? Maybe Tiger but they're much less attractive than us for e.g.) Storm used their betting TPA thing to help retain players. Munster also on 1.3m a year (were teams offering 1.5m+ for Munster? Again maybe Tiger or Dolphin). That extra 200-300k at least gets you in the discussion.
You've just pointed out how these clubs create ways to make it work though. Whether it's legal or not.. If everyone is being realistic, there's less than a 1% chance we sign either Haas or Tino. I'd love to be wrong because they're both great players.. Of course Gus will try and he'll offer them huge money but it's a pipedream given our current situation.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
15 hit ups for 164 metres, this after playing Origin Wednesday. Blokes a machine we need to do whatever it takes to get him. Could change the whole club
Honestly, while his stats are good, unless he can come here and transform the way our forwards play, he'll just be another high paid player.

Let's face it. His footy IQ is next to zero.

So I'm not convinced we improve much with him. I'd much prefer a player with footy IQ. We need a Jake Turbo or Christian Welch or Pat Carrigan.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graham wasn't being chased by every NRL club like Tino and Haas would be. Although Thompson hasn't worked out I'd like to see more English players seriously looked at.

The club would obviously want to sign Haas and Tino and would offer them a tonne. But they're unlikely to be interested when they can earn similar money at their current clubs. It's not North Korea. We can't make them sign for us against their will.
I agree on signing poms.
Especially forwards. I think their comp and especially middles are underated.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You've just pointed out how these clubs create ways to make it work though. Whether it's legal or not.. If everyone is being realistic, there's less than a 1% chance we sign either Haas or Tino. I'd love to be wrong because they're both great players.. Of course Gus will try and he'll offer them huge money but it's a pipedream given our current situation.
If we miss out on both Haas and Tino we move onto Koloamatangi and/or Fotuaika. We need a marquee middle or 2 desperately. If we're offering the correct money (significant overs) I think we have to get at least 1. Then look at signings like Lindsay Smith or Hazelton (Sele even). If we don't get a marquee middle we've failed miserably in the transfer market. Gus was able to secure AFB to Warrior so hopefully he can deliver here.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we miss out on both Haas and Tino we move onto Koloamatangi and/or Fotuaika. We need a marquee middle or 2 desperately. If we're offering the correct money (significant overs) I think we have to get at least 1. Then look at signings like Lindsay Smith or Hazelton (Sele even). If we don't get a marquee middle we've failed miserably in the transfer market. Gus was able to secure AFB to Warrior so hopefully he can deliver here.
I think players like Smith and Hazleton are more likely and wouldn't complain with either or both.

Malla

Reaction score
Another forward people sleeping on is Ata Mariota from Canberra. He'd be a good steal signed to Canberra until end of 24'. Would be suss him out come Nov 1
Yes, They have a few good young forwards. Mooney another. In addition to Guler and Ranga.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Honestly, while his stats are good, unless he can come here and transform the way our forwards play, he'll just be another high paid player.

Let's face it. His footy IQ is next to zero.

So I'm not convinced we improve much with him. I'd much prefer a player with footy IQ. We need a Jake Turbo or Christian Welch or Pat Carrigan.
It’s the effort plays by Tino that don’t show on stats. He’s a forward leader. He sets the standard. Other forwards become better behind a fierce leader like that. Forwards need a commander that’s treating the forward pack like it’s own team of marines with a specific mission to complete. That’s what we are lacking.

Malla

Reaction score
It’s the effort plays by Tino that don’t show on stats. He’s a forward leader. He sets the standard. Other forwards become better behind a fierce leader like that. Forwards need a commander that’s treating the forward pack like it’s own team of marines with a specific mission to complete. That’s what we are lacking.
Love Tino, he's an absolute beast. Has a big motor and heart.

Reactions: DDR