The Bulldogs Round 1 team as selected by The Kennel

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think you know what you are talking about. His defence would not be up to it.
His 1 on 1 tackling and reads on the edge last yr were beyond bad. Defending the middle is an easier assignment for him but will need to work harder

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
spoke to CC and can tell yoy he said he is has a very strong chance he will start round one. Told me he couldn’t find any reasons not for him to play.
Even though Xerri is killing it and will eventually make his way into the NRL side there is almost a certainty he will be getting kms into those legs in reggies first to prove himself NRL ready. His fitness is still below par tbh...

Would also say Wilso and Skelly will get the first call ups before any game time if Jacob aint ready for round 1 and will probably mean Tracey and Critta will be our centers come round 1 with Blake at the back.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Even though Xerri is killing it and will eventually make his way into the NRL side there is almost a certainty he will be getting kms into those legs in reggies first to prove himself NRL ready. His fitness is still below par tbh...

Would also say Wilso and Skelly will get the first call ups before any game time if Jacob aint ready for round 1 and will probably mean Tracey and Critta will be our centers come round 1 with Blake at the back.
100% but I’m going to see trials and if xerri kills it, Cameron will definitely put him in round one.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% but I’m going to see trials and if xerri kills it, Cameron will definitely put him in round one.
He will definitely get a chance.. Hoepfully he can prove his fitness and knowledge are up there ready to go as he would be a huge in if Tracey isnt ready for round 1 either.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I refuse to believe Taaffe is going to be our fullback, what a massive L.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will definitely get a chance.. Hoepfully he can prove his fitness and knowledge are up there ready to go as he would be a huge in if Tracey isnt ready for round 1 either.
The thing to remember is 4 years out of the game is a good chunk of time, how much has the game sped up over those years, I’m not concerned about fitness or skill, he’ll probably have that covered, I think coping with how much faster the games gotten might shock him.

I was listening to Matt Rogers and he mentioned the biggest thing he struggled with after coming back from rugby was how much faster the game had gotten, he was sucking in the big ones after 20 minutes, and that was back then ..

No training or opposed sessions can prepare for actual game time ..

Few 80 minute games in the lower grade might be the best thing for him …

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
What "skills" are they that he can't display in ~120 days of training and 2 x trials?

Plainly playing with the NSW Cup team he's not going to develop familiarity with the other NRL players.
He's also not going to be playing to the same game plan in NSW Cup, so it's not positional or tactics or plays that he will learn.

If he shows that he is good enough in training and trails then there's no reason for the coaching staff not to pick him, if he doesn't then I'm sure they won't.

Always a Bulldog
He needs to get match fit, and we don't need an L plate player, who hasn't taken the field for some years, in our top grade.
Nobody should be guaranteed a place in the first grade until they have earned that place on the field.

Taaffe has had GF experience, as has Chrichton, and both played their best last season. When did Xerri last play at first grade standard?
He will be rusty. Training is doing the theory; playing is the practical.

I want to see Xerri in our team, but I think he has to work up to it from reserves.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs to get match fit, and we don't need an L plate player, who hasn't taken the field for some years, in our top grade.
Nobody should be guaranteed a place in the first grade until they have earned that place on the field.

Taaffe has had GF experience, as has Chrichton, and both played their best last season. When did Xerri last play at first grade standard?
He will be rusty. Training is doing the theory; playing is the practical.

I want to see Xerri in our team, but I think he has to work up to it from reserves.
I hope at the very least Xerri gets more minutes than most in the Trials.

I generally hold little importance on the results in trials. Results rarely reflect the season proper once it starts.

This year however I feel the trials will be ultra important for us. Getting the combinations and minutes into the right players could be critical to getting the season off to a good start.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I refuse to believe Taaffe is going to be our fullback, what a massive L.
You refuse to believe that the same coach who picked Perham at 1 week after week will pick Taaffe at 1?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You refuse to believe that the same coach who picked Perham at 1 week after week will pick Taaffe at 1?
Taafe slips into the FB role as natural as Critta slips in at center.

Considering Tracey will have minimal time to impress and we are light on centers you would imagine our team is nearly finished bar HB.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Taafe slips into the FB role as natural as Critta slips in at center.

Considering Tracey will have minimal time to impress and we are light on centers you would imagine our team is nearly finished bar HB.
Our team is far from light at centre.

Crichton, Burton, Tracey, Xerri, Kiraz, Skelton, Salmon & Mann can all play centre at NRL level.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our team is far from light at centre.

Crichton, Burton, Tracey, Xerri, Kiraz, Skelton, Salmon & Mann can all play centre at NRL level.
You deserved to get whipped for that comment.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Which can't? You only need 2 centres.
In the context of things... Critta and Tracey ( if he recovers in time ) are your best options.

Burto is 5/8 ( everybody can fcuk off with any notion other than that )

Kiraz rehabing back, not sure if he'll be ready in time.

Xerri... no NRL for 4 years, fair fukn gamble that one

Skelly.. Hell no.. cant read defense at center

Salmon would be best option after Tracey, before Mann who is pretty much locked in for the lock rotation.

And there is also Perham if we really want to milk the cow.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Blake Taaffe came to us from the Bunnies because he had no opportunities there. He is too talented for us to treat him the same.
Tracey will be missing the first few round with injury.. it will be Taaffe for sure at fullback barring injury..