The Bulldogs have splurged $4 million on two wingers. It’s the gamble they had to take

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
600k on Cotric is a major fuck up. I hope we can offload him!

JAC, Burton, Flanno is great business and it comes down to and thanks to Barrett.

There is no way Barrett approved Cotrics contract
based on not even seeing him play it is a stupid comment, he is a representative winger who played all his junior football at centre and fullback.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we perform to expectations over the next season or two, the Dogs could well become a magnet for other good players, they just need solid consistency on the field and for the front office to be united and keep up the good work...

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
based on not even seeing him play it is a stupid comment, he is a representative winger who played all his junior football at centre and fullback.
Exactly. And he won’t be paying wing at the dogs. So a centre for 600-650 is pretty common these days. This it’s pretty standard for an international rep who is so young (guy just turned 22 a few weeks ago).

He has a tremendous upside and age is on his side. Will only get better and will be one of the best centres in the game alongside staggs and Bradman in the next decade. So I have no problem with his acquisition.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
600k on Cotric is a major fuck up. I hope we can offload him!

JAC, Burton, Flanno is great business and it comes down to and thanks to Barrett.

There is no way Barrett approved Cotrics contract
Cotric is like 21 years old and is already a beast. He might be 100k overpaid at the moment, but he will soon be worth every cent of that price.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly. And he won’t be paying wing at the dogs. So a centre for 600-650 is pretty common these days. This it’s pretty standard for an international rep who is so young (guy just turned 22 a few weeks ago).

He has a tremendous upside and age is on his side. Will only get better and will be one of the best centres in the game alongside staggs and Bradman in the next decade. So I have no problem with his acquisition.
Well there is a chance he could flop at centre, we don't know yet. I think he'll be fine, and worst case scenario we have a top winger on overs.

I'm at the stage where I'm happy to go with what Barret has planned. Hes doing everything right at the minute.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There both shit sognings, just like Foran and T.Williams.

Lets hope Cotric is the last of the major "overs" signings
Let’s take into consideration,that In Canberra u can buy a house for around $600k,u can’t even get a unit here,for that much,so did the club pay overs,same applies to Melbourne JAC $375k in Melbourne is good money.?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we've done really well so far when you add all of the salaries together. We've obviously paid a standard amount of overs for Cotric for a bottom team but like others have said he was the first top signing we made and we definitely weren't attractive at all back then. Now we're a lot more attractive than a lot of the bottom teams and I feel a lot more confident as a fan that we'll sign good players for closer to what they're worth. Flanagan, Burton and JAC I'm very happy for what we've reportedly paid for them and only a few months back ago I didn't think it'd be possible at all. Averillo, Burton and Flanagan for the same price as Tedesco. That's 3/4 of our spine. Now we just need another 1-2 signings and to bring some of the boys in early for 2021.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not worried one single bit.
Young gun future halves for peanuts.
Players off contract freeing up money in 22.
One bloke a young winger/Center on the rise with incredible athleticism, The other the fastest player in the league and incredible winger want to be fullback, which I think will happen. Both try scoring machines off a lot of their own ability, Both in their prime and a good chance of the best to come.
Not to mention the attraction and nucleus they provide to further add talent and want to be part of this dynasty.
Money well spent for mine.
Please Santa, bring us a gun hooker now.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great article, well written.. I personally wouldn't have spent so much on those positions either, however due to our predicament, I don't think we had a choice in the matter and I think Darcie reflected that perfectly in the article.. only the future will reveal if it was the right call..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have splurged $4 million on two wingers. It’s the gamble they had to take

Darcie McDonald

DARCIE MCDONALD is a HOT mama and a Kennel Favorite

• December 17, 2020 12:22pm
  • DARCIE MCDONALD
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Josh Addo-Carr has signed a mammoth four-year deal worth $2 million with the Bulldogs. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Josh Addo-Carr has signed a mammoth four-year deal worth $2 million with the Bulldogs. Picture. Phil HillyardSource: News Corp Australia

The curious case of Josh Addo-Carr’s future has been settled.

He’ll be a Bulldog from 2022, ruling out a switch to the Rabbitohs — where many of his close mates play — and a move most pundits were tipping.

The 25-year-old caps off an impressive signing spree by new coach Trent Barrett who has lured Nick Cotric, Kyle Flanagan, Corey Waddell and Jack Hetherington to the club for next season as well as Matt Burton and now Addo-Carr for 2022.

Addo-Carr’s wish to return to Sydney to be closer to family was granted with a four-year deal at Belmore — a deal reportedly worth more than $2 million. It’s a well-deserved albeit big pay rise from his current deal with the Storm where he has been earning $375,000 a season — although it’s understood the club will top that up for the final year of his contract.
$500,000 a season for a winger? A lot of people will say it’s wasted money but in the humble opinion of this Bulldogs fan it’s money well spent.

When we look at what they’ve achieved in their careers thus far, Addo-Carr seems like a bargain compared to Cotric’s $600,000 per year deal. In hindsight, did the Bulldogs pay overs for Cotric? Possibly. But you could argue the club needed to do whatever it took to land a world class player to get the recruitment wheels in motion.

The Bulldogs are in a rebuild phase. They don’t have a recent premiership, they haven’t finished in the top eight since 2016 and there’s no marquee player to entice new recruits. It would be naive to think Canterbury-Bankstown have the same recruitment game plan as the Storm or Roosters.

The saying goes ‘you have to spend money to make money’ and while the Bulldogs’ end goal is not to make money it’s a saying that fits their situation perfectly. They need to splash the cash — wisely — to start a positive domino effect and that’s exactly what Cotric’s signing did and what Addo-Carr’s signing should do.

Besides, gone are the days of wingers just catching the ball and diving over in the corner. The wingers of today are taking the tough carries to get their team out of trouble, doing all sorts of acrobatic moves to plant the ball down and jumping metres to catch the uncatcheable.

Aside from his speed and skill, Addo-Carr brings an element of starpower that the club has been missing for quite some time.
His signing not only shows that the Bulldogs mean business but it’ll catch the attention of other big name players.

Elite players want to line up alongside other elite players. They want to join a team full of winners and they want to bust their guts for the players they truly admire.

That’s not to say the Bulldogs don’t have winners and admirable men in their side already. Will Hopoate won the 2011 premiership with Manly and Josh Jackson received the highly respected Brad Fittler Medal in 2016 for his efforts for NSW.

But Addo-Carr is generation now. He’s booming and he’s only going to get better.

The NSW and Kangaroos representative is widely regarded the best winger in the game. It’s been a long time since the Bulldogs have had the best of a position at their club.

It’s a power play just as much as it is a strong on-field signing.

For the past three years, the Bulldogs were a stepping stone club, an opportunity for middle of the road players to get some NRL time. Now it’s becoming a club that in-demand players choose.

The Bulldogs have been patiently waiting for this. A time where the back-ended deals rubber stamped by Des Hasler, Raelene Castle and Ray Dibb had cleared up and finally there would be cash to spend.

In July fresh off being officially unveiled as the new coach, Barrett told NRL 360: “we have to be really aware and very diligent in the homework we do on the players we need to sign because we’ve got to get it right.”
Addo-Carr is right.

The Bulldogs already had a solid forward pack. Raymond Faitala-Mariner played some of his best footy last season, Renouf Atoni and Ofahiki Ogden are extremely underrated and Adam Elliott improves every game he plays. Throw in Josh Jackson’s leadership, young Matt Doorey’s potential and Luke Thompson’s beast mode — which we’ll hopefully see come alive in 2021 — and it’s very promising up front. The addition of Hetherington’s aggression and workhorse Waddell is only going to strengthen it more.

They lack strike out wide and speed. The backline was chopped and changed numerous times last season. The addition of Cotric — whether he plays wing or centre — solves one edge in 2021 and in 2022 Addo-Carr will solve the other... unless he lines up at fullback. Then no one is questioning his pay packet given what other fullbacks are earning each season.

But regardless of where he plays, Addo-Carr’s impact will be felt both on the field and off it.

After securing a halves pairing of the future in Flanagan and Burton all of a sudden the Bulldogs’ spine is almost settled. But next on their hit list should be a world class hooker, someone like Brandon Smith and what better way to pledge your case to the Kiwi No.9 by using his Storm teammate.

No doubt it’ll take more than Addo-Carr to lock Smith in but it gives the Bulldogs much more hope than if Addo-Carr turned his back on their offer to go elsewhere. If one of the hottest signatures in the NRL chose Belmore then there must be something good brewing out there, right?

That’s why the Foxx is worth every cent.
I reckon this lass does all her research on TK [emoji23]

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Geez mate I dont think you can say that about Cotric without even seeing him play a game for us. I agree it was a risk to sign a winger on that coin who is unproven at centre but he played all of his juniors there so he could go well.
Ultimately what happens on ground is what is most important, but there has been several mentions of him coming into training even though he is still due time off. He seems to be keen to show his worth.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cotric will end up proving his worth.
Not many others that can break tackles like him. Can bend/ break the line and has scored and set up a lot of good tries.
We need points and I think he can help out a lot with that. Will be a fan favourite.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ultimately what happens on ground is what is most important, but there has been several mentions of him coming into training even though he is still due time off. He seems to be keen to show his worth.
I take my hat of to Cotric, He signed on amungst all the turmoil that was happening, the infighting, Dean Pay leaving as he did, the media reports labeling us Toxic. Crotric could have walked away from us and never looked back and who would have blamed him??? No one....but he stood firm, committed to us, he signed on the dotted line and the rest is history. Did we over pay to get him to Belmore??? Hell no, his name alone has helped the club woo potential sponsors, sell memberships and got tongues wagging. As they say the first guy through the door always get bloodied. His name alone helped us recruit the signings that followed. So did we over pay??? In my honest opinion HELL NO!!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I take my hat of to Cotric, He signed on amungst all the turmoil that was happening, the infighting, Dean Pay leaving as he did, the media reports labeling us Toxic. Crotric could have walked away from us and never looked back and who would have blamed him??? No one....but he stood firm, committed to us, he signed on the dotted line and the rest is history. Did we over pay to get him to Belmore??? Hell no, his name alone has helped the club woo potential sponsors, sell memberships and got tongues wagging. As they say the first guy through the door always get bloodied. His name alone helped us recruit the signings that followed. So did we over pay??? In my honest opinion HELL NO!!!
Sticky described him as "a good kid", but he is showing more than that, seems to have a bit of strength of character in him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Took me 60 minutes to read this.

59 looking at her pic and then a minute for the content.

She makes some good points but Cotric was signed as a centre. This was done before TBaz and I wonder if he would have rubber stamped it but that doesnt matter now.

I think JAC at $500k is good business. He's comfortably the best winger in the world
You know shes a mad dogs fan?