News The Brisbane Sharks? QRL boss wants Sydney club to move rather than add 17th team

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL have had this problem for many years where they believe their is too many Sydney clubs. It’s might not even be Cronulla that has to go to Brisbane but it’s been considered for a while now. There was even a consideration that one of the Sydney clubs would relocate to Perth. But nothing at this stage has come of it.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
If it were up to me.
I’d merge Cronulla and dogs. Keep the colour scheme and neighbours.
Souths stand-alone but relocate to SWS so it’s true south Sydney
Tigers become inner west tigers
Easts get merged with manly as a Sydney coastal team or die off after Nick goes.

I’ll bring in central coast and Perth.
Wow. Luckily it's not up to you.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Look I don't like the Sharks but moving them to QLD is a stupid move. They belong in the Shire and we need a team in that part of the city for the purposes of grassroots football.

Stupid idea.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poker machines, thousands of poker machines, more poker machines than you can poke a stick at.

Always a Bulldog
Have they got that many already though? The licence numbers are already set for poker machines and I don't remember their old club having a huge number of machines. The old Kareela golf club which they bought doesn't have that many either. If they want more they have to buy more clubs and relocate the machine licences which would be harder than it sounds.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were up to me.
Easts get merged with manly as a Sydney coastal team or die off after Nick goes.

You're creating new Sydney regions that simply don't exist on other levels. Can't see that working.

Supporters, history and rivalry aside the obvious zones which probably wouldn't happen would be

Outer west = Penrith
West = Parramatta and Balmain Tigers area
(or simply West = Parramatta, Penrith and Balmain)
South West = Us and Wests Magpies area
East = Roosters and Souths
South = Dragons, Cronulla, Wollongong
North = Manly, North Sydney & Central Coast

As I said don't see it happening but that should be how the zones are determined.

Last edited:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move Many to Brisbane and call them Wynnum Manly sea eagles (currently the existing brisbane team is called Wynnum Manly Seagulls)

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were up to me.

Great idea mate, so you would merge the Nazis and the Jews, do you really think it would be a good idea to merge the racists bigots at the Sharks with the CB wogs, almost funny.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're creating new Sydney regions that simply don't exist on other levels. Can't see that working.

Supporters, history and rivalry aside the obvious zones which probably wouldn't happen would be

Outer west = Penrith

As I said don't see it happening but that should be how the zones are determined.
I think the NRL/ARL should relocate the Junior nurseries better, would help to even up the comp to without expecting fans to change their allegiances.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the NRL/ARL should relocate the Junior nurseries better, would help to even up the comp to without expecting fans to change their allegiances.
That's the issue though we just know the NRL would help out their favoured teams while trying to do over our team. I'm genuinely surpised the media hasn't started their own relocate the Bulldogs campaign.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I would love to see the Sharks or the Dragons go. Would piss off a lot of mates.. But I actually wouldn’t well not St George can’t give a shit about Sharks.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "Brisbane Bulldogs" has a nice ring to it...

(I'll just go and beat my head against a wall.)

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plenty of Sharks in Western Australia.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the issue though we just know the NRL would help out their favoured teams while trying to do over our team. I'm genuinely surpised the media hasn't started their own relocate the Bulldogs campaign.
I know for a fact that many even some in high places that want us resolicited or even worse.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If any Sydney team is to be relocated it should be the Chooks. Firstly they don’t have a locality, that’s why they are called the “Sydney” Chooks. Seriously, how grandiose of them to claim the whole of Sydney as theirs, when everyone knows there are 8 other clubs in Greater Sydney. Secondly they don’t really have any local juniors, competitions or teams. No one really grows up playing in their local competition, graduates through a junior system, wanting to play for their local NRL team, there’s no real pathway for local kids. Geographically they are South’s Juniors, always have been, always will be. Thirdly their NSW Cup feeder club is the North Sydney Bears, on the other side of the harbour, that as everyone knows should be aligned with Manly. They are only aligned with the Chooks because the NRL couldn’t justify keeping the Chooks in Sydney without a feeder club here. Fourthly they are owned by Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club Ltd, could easily be the eastern suburbs of Brisbane, no issue there.

As a result there is nothing to lose by the NRL relocating the Chooks, they have no locality, no juniors, no legitimate feeder clubs, in summary no reason whatsoever to be in Sydney.

Always a Bulldog

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Outer west = Penrith

They wouldn't because they'd be terrified of the short term meltdown of the fan bases, but long-term it makes a lot of sense.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think 1.merging (lose clients sponsorship opportunities instead of gaining ) or 2. moving the teams in this period will happen for the simple reason of logistics in Covid is already in poor condition for the game. This is more the case why BNE or QRL potentially may have to bide their time until 80 % herd population is met. I do believe BNE is the best possible next club licence to be awarded once the travel situation improves. Next licence should go the Dolphins in my opinion.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If any Sydney team is to be relocated it should be the Chooks. Firstly they don’t have a locality, that’s why they are called the “Sydney” Chooks. Seriously, how grandiose of them to claim the whole of Sydney as theirs, when everyone knows there are 8 other clubs in Greater Sydney. Secondly they don’t really have any local juniors, competitions or teams. No one really grows up playing in their local competition, graduates through a junior system, wanting to play for their local NRL team, there’s no real pathway for local kids. Geographically they are South’s Juniors, always have been, always will be. Thirdly their NSW Cup feeder club is the North Sydney Bears, on the other side of the harbour, that as everyone knows should be aligned with Manly. They are only aligned with the Chooks because the NRL couldn’t justify keeping the Chooks in Sydney without a feeder club here. Fourthly they are owned by Eastern Suburbs Leagues Club Ltd, could easily be the eastern suburbs of Brisbane, no issue there.

As a result there is nothing to lose by the NRL relocating the Chooks, they have no locality, no juniors, no legitimate feeder clubs, in summary no reason whatsoever to be in Sydney.

Always a Bulldog
If only decisiions were made by the NRL without bias and agendas, and just by logic and common sense. Sucks for their supoorters (all 500 of them), but makes total sense if one team had to be selected.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
You've sold me, but everybody is too scared of Nick!