Opinion The Allan Issue

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The theory behind the signing of Corey Allan was sound.

Good size, ball playing, part of a winning culture at the Rabbits and actually really contributed there last year when Latrell dropped out.

The problem is that he doesn't fit as well as we would have hoped here (yes, with limited opportunity at Fullback) and with the game swinging towards favouring fast, instinctual players - who back up through the middle, sniff around for offloads and have the vision and tools to exploit opportunities when they arise I see the issue only becoming further worsened.

Now my preference would be for us to go and get Dufty for a 1-2 year contract, just to see what we've got - but a lot of posters here think that we've spent enough money in the backs.

My question is, if we made Allan available - surely the Broncos snap him up?
History with Reynolds, a Broncos junior/from the area, "QLD Origin Star" etc.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have no doubts that if Allan and/or Flanagan were made available that another club would sign them without us having to pay much freight.

I hope the club looks into moving both on as we could use the cap space elsewhere. Flanagan has been a bust and Allan has been underwhelming in three different positions. He has no pace or acceleration which is a worry for an outside back.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no doubts that if Allan and/or Flanagan were made available that another club would sign them without us having to pay much freight.

I hope the club looks into moving both on as we could use the cap space elsewhere. Flanagan has been a bust and Allan has been underwhelming in three different positions. He has no pace or acceleration which is a worry for an outside back.
Not a good look at such a early stage, but if you can get better players in there position why not,

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Allen is 10x better than Holland and Montoya

I see it as a move forward from the scrubs we've had to put up with in our backline. Besides the Morris boys we havent had a decent back for years.

We haven't seen the best of him, hes had a bunch of cat forwards and halves to work with. Still think he can fill a role for us at centre or potentially FB if we change up the way we play once Burton and some other reinforcements come in

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Allen is 10x better than Holland and Montoya

I see it as a move forward from the scrubs we've had to put up with in our backline. Besides the Morris boys we havent had a decent back for years.

We haven't seen the best of him, hes had a bunch of cat forwards and halves to work with. Still think he can fill a role for us at centre or potentially FB if we change up the way we play once Burton and some other reinforcements come in
Yeah he is but is he better then Naden? Can Schoupp or Alamoti go passed him next year?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah he is but is he better then Naden? Can Schoupp or Alamoti go passed him next year?
If they can they can go for it. We've been stuck in this holding pattern for too long, cant keep waiting around for juniors to come through. If they force their way in thats a good problem to have.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we've currently got too may positions to fill in the top 30 to be looking to offload decent players even if some fans don't think much of his pace. Even if we wind up with better first choice options, he's a great utility back for depth. This year we've struggled to put a backline together at all, next year we should have some strike power in our backline between Cotric, JAC, Naden, DWZ. I somehow get the feeling that if Allen was used as a ball playing fullback that could inject himself just enough to bring those four into play a little more, he'd be an asset.

By all means he needs to earn any starting spot next season, but I don't think that he's someone we should be looking to offload just yet.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I find it hard to write off the likes of Allen and the outside backs until a) we have NRL grade front row putting us on a roll, b) a hooker who can keep that traction with crisp ball/decision and c) halves that then activate off the back of a and b. Even the best players will struggle without a,b c. I worry Burton, JAC, Naden etc will struggle to show their best when our 8,9,10 roles are sub par.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Unless youre tommy turbo or one of the elite fbs in the game, you aint gonna go well behind a pack like ours. From what we saw at souths he has talent, so much so he made origin. Ill judge him once we have a better pack

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Going to have a thread like this for Dufty next year if we sign him.
Maybe, but there's also a timeline that JAC breaks down at fullback or is as underwhelming as DWZ, BMoz, Hoppa, Meaney etc and we're in the same boat.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe, but there's also a timeline that JAC breaks down at fullback or is as underwhelming as DWZ, BMoz, Hoppa, Meaney etc and we're in the same boat.
Yes, but that's why you wait and buy the right player for the squad and not always chase whoever's perceived as the best on the market. Baz bought a fullback in Allan and halfback in Flanagan and not even a year later we're already talking about replacing them. Dufty will be another and I can't help but feel Baz is panicking because he didn't expect this season to be anywhere near as bad as it turned out.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen can play fullback ok behind a dominant pack and spine but isn't fast enough or skillful enough yet for the modern role. But he can be a good centre. I liked some of his defensive work in the centres, not so much the ability to read the attack (which he can learn), but he was pretty aggressive.

Outside better halves and behind a better pack (in other words with more space) he'll become a fine centre in attack too. He has nice evasiveness at the line and while he'll never make many breaks in one-on-one situations, he just needs to get a good offload into his game. He's still young and I have faith in him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes, but that's why you wait and buy the right player for the squad and not always chase whoever's perceived as the best on the market. Baz bought a fullback in Allan and halfback in Flanagan and not even a year later we're already talking about replacing them. Dufty will be another and I can't help but feel Baz is panicking because he didn't expect this season to be anywhere near as bad as it turned out.
We all are....panicking because we didn't expect this season to be anywhere near as bad as it turned out :grinning:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He will be available for selection in our next game. I’m guessing some more shuffling around from Baz. I’d rather see Schoupp get another game under his belt.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all are....panicking because we didn't expect this season to be anywhere near as bad as it turned out :grinning:
How did you not expect this?

Wrote a whole long post. And deleted it. Then shortened it below.

In a nutshell

We will not improve untill we can shed some of the players that hurtus mentally on the field.

The Elliots, DWZ's Hoppa, Waddell, to name a few.
The players that are spastic fucks and do stupid shit when the team requires them to standup and be counted.

Instead fuckers like Elliot who are part of the Leadership Team do not work well under pressure and shit their pants and fuck things up. Usually at a time we are doing well.

Its not they're fault, they are trying. < untill we change this way of thinking we will be a dumb bottom of the ladder team.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The theory behind the signing of Corey Allan was sound.

Good size, ball playing, part of a winning culture at the Rabbits and actually really contributed there last year when Latrell dropped out.

The problem is that he doesn't fit as well as we would have hoped here (yes, with limited opportunity at Fullback) and with the game swinging towards favouring fast, instinctual players - who back up through the middle, sniff around for offloads and have the vision and tools to exploit opportunities when they arise I see the issue only becoming further worsened.

Now my preference would be for us to go and get Dufty for a 1-2 year contract, just to see what we've got - but a lot of posters here think that we've spent enough money in the backs.

My question is, if we made Allan available - surely the Broncos snap him up?
History with Reynolds, a Broncos junior/from the area, "QLD Origin Star" etc.
Honestly u r entitled to your opinion,but the reasons for allans,ordinary form is twofold,firstly our halves,not taking control of the game,and our forwards are getting steamrolled in every game,the proof of the pudding look at Kyle feldt at the cowboys similar player,playing shit last year this year with a better halves combination has been killing it,I still think he has a lot to offer,if we get a couple of decent forwards to add to what we will have next year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly u r entitled to your opinion,but the reasons for allans,ordinary form is twofold,firstly our halves,not taking control of the game,and our forwards are getting steamrolled in every game,the proof of the pudding look at Kyle feldt at the cowboys similar player,playing shit last year this year with a better halves combination has been killing it,I still think he has a lot to offer,if we get a couple of decent forwards to add to what we will have next year.
But if we compare Allan within, he's behind/worse than DWZ and Meaney at fullback. Allan was a plodder at fullback.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How did you not expect this?

Wrote a whole long post. And deleted it. Then shortened it below.

In a nutshell

We will not improve untill we can shed some of the players that hurtus mentally on the field.

The Elliots, DWZ's Hoppa, Waddell, to name a few.
The players that are spastic fucks and do stupid shit when the team requires them to standup and be counted.

Instead fuckers like Elliot who are part of the Leadership Team do not work well under pressure and shit their pants and fuck things up. Usually at a time we are doing well.

Its not they're fault, they are trying. < untill we change this way of thinking we will be a dumb bottom of the ladder team.
Refer a few of my posts as well mate lol.

A team like ours, with very few consistent or competent performers, can not sustain the continual stuff ups from those you mention....any decent player in the team (Thompson) would need to be seeing a shrink to cope and the rest just drop their heads every week.

It's hard to see that there would be any enjoyment or satisfaction in playing with those melon heads. You make a break, pass cos there's an overlap...then next play the mistake riddled guy drops the ball or doesn't pass with the line wide open.

DWZ's action would have been soul destroying last week bc of the previous 37? min effort. And there's a multitude of other examples from others. A roster as poor as ours can't recover with no x factor etc.

They need to find a way to move them on.
The clearer mindset, fresh approach can't start till they are gone IMO.

Be very hard to get rid of this loser mentality around this team.

Coach has to take some responsibility for it as well, so all round it's bleak at present.

So much riding on Fox and Burto its starting to look unfair.

Recruitment of forwards and dummy half crucial.