The 9th Immortal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
this article from news.com.au - so who is your tip for the 9th immortal?

I would imagine Big Mal and Darren Lockyer would be the frontrunners?

I would personally pick Meninga. 4 Kangaroo tours, and the rest.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg confirms ninth Immortal to be chosen in 2018
THE NRL has confirmed a ninth rugby league Immortal will be chosen this year — the first since the concept’s shake-up.

Ben Glover
FOX SPORTSFEBRUARY 27, 20182:38PM

Andrew Johns is inducted as the eighth rugby league Immortal.Source:News Limited

NRL boss Todd Greenberg has confirmed for the first time that a ninth rugby league Immortal will be chosen in 2018 — the first since the game’s governing body bought the intellectual property for the concept.

Speaking at the Courier-Mail newspaper’s NRL season launch, Greenberg said a new player would be inducted for the first time since 2012, when Andrew Johns was unveiled as the eighth Immortal.

Going away or overseas? Never miss a moment with every match LIVE and on demand available at www.WatchNRL.com.

Darren Lockyer is a favourite to become the ninth Immortal.Source:News Corp Australia

“We made a conscious decision last year to purchase the IP rights for the Immortals,” Greenberg said.

“The Commission felt for a long time that it wasn’t under our banner and it should be, it now is. We will have a very diligent process around our Hall of Fame and ultimately on the election of an Immortal and you can stand by for some big announcements on that in the coming month.

“But rest assured there will be an election of an Immortal in 2018 and there will be a much greater diligent process about how that is unfolding. And a much more transparent process primarily for fans so they have an understanding of how we’re going to do this, but it’s a very big decision for the game.”

Queenslanders Mal Meninga and Darren Lockyer headline a list of strong candidates to join the eight players who have already been given the most exalted status in the game.

Mal Meninga has got plenty of support to be the next Immortal.Source:AAP

Other names that have been thrown up in the recent past as potential candidates include: Ron Coote, Mick Cronin, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler, Ken Irvine, Brett Kenny, Allan Langer, Glenn Lazarus, Steve Mortimer, Norm Provan, Steve Rogers, Peter Sterling and Shane Webcke.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Lockyer would start as the narrow favourite to be crowned the ninth Immortal, although the case of Kangaroos coach Meninga is also very impressive.

The eight current Immortals have been named in four batches, with originals Clive Churchill, Bob Fulton, Reg Gasnier and Johnny Raper inducted in 1981, Graeme Langlands and Wally Lewis in 1999, Arthur Beetson in 2003, and Johns in 2012.

THE EIGHT IMMORTALS

Clive Churchill (1981)

Bob Fulton (1981)

Reg Gasnier (1981)

Johnny Raper (1981)

Graeme Langlands (1999)

Wally Lewis (1999)

Arthur Beetson (2003)

Andrew Johns (2012)

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they want to be genuine about this there needs to be some kind of metrics to decide on a player, whether it is premierships won, games played etc. It'd be hard to argue against Darren Lockyer getting a spot, but there are so many other potential players. I'm surprised Steve Menzies isn't on the list. Played something like 450 games between NRL and ESL, scored like 180 tries in the NRL as a forward, had like 50 rep caps over 10 years. Wouldn't look out of place on the list at all.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Mortimer or fitler. Think Mel will get it

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If they want to be genuine about this there needs to be some kind of metrics to decide on a player, whether it is premierships won, games played etc. It'd be hard to argue against Darren Lockyer getting a spot, but there are so many other potential players. I'm surprised Steve Menzies isn't on the list. Played something like 450 games between NRL and ESL, scored like 180 tries in the NRL as a forward, had like 50 rep caps over 10 years. Wouldn't look out of place on the list at all.
If hanging around was the criteria, Corey Parker would be on the mix.

But seriously, these things can't be done on stats, the person needs to transcend their sport, and he still remembered for their talents long after their careers are over.

The 8 guys there did that.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Looking at stats when deciding an immortal or who is the greatest is stupid. The eye test is the most important thing.

Wayne Bennett says it should be Norm Provan. I have no problem with Mal Meninga either as he was at his peak the most damaging centre. To me Glenn Lazarus should be in contention. Best prop I've ever seen and led 3 teams to their first ever premiership.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Big Mal, should have got it last time!
Except Andrew Johns is the GOAT and a much better player so he deserved it first.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At least I can tell my son I had a face time conversation with the 8th immortal

Thanks to the Mad Butch Sir Peter Leitch

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking at stats when deciding an immortal or who is the greatest is stupid. The eye test is the most important thing.

Wayne Bennett says it should be Norm Provan. I have no problem with Mal Meninga either as he was at his peak the most damaging centre. To me Glenn Lazarus should be in contention. Best prop I've ever seen and led 3 teams to their first ever premiership.
There is no way I could consider Mal Meninga in this group. Test level - very good, Origin - excellent, but club level - week-in-week-out, far too many bludges. I watched a lot of his games at Seiffert Oval & Bruce Stadium & the Raiders fans at the time will agree with me (if they are honest). If they consider off field activity then that is another black mark.

Personally I would consider Steve Folkes as well. 245 games for Canterbury for 4 GF wins / 2 losses. 9 Origins (should have played more), 5 Tests / World Cup games for Australia (should have played more) + coaching career 309 games @56% winning. And at this time we need role models in society & if this guy wasn't one then there are none. I think when you consider his size & versatility as well - 5/8, lock, 2nd row & hooker, he ticks all the boxes. #RIPFolkesey

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
May be a better player, but I would have respected the time line and put Mal in first, and slotted Joey in the next one :grinning:
If that was the criteria then fair enough.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Problem is "Immortals" should be up around 30 members by now. Their is current future immortals playing right now yet we are missing so many from era's gone by. So many names should be in it and we should be "up to date" and watching the futures and not chasing the older guys. When it all started they should have announced a group of about 20......then gone every 8 years or so for the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.