The 9th Immortal

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He did some pills didn't rape a child christ, nothing different than 80% of the people under 25 are doing right now every weekend.
You and I are looking at this bloke from very different angles,we will just have to agree to disagree mate

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
for me an immortal is someone who dominated the game in their era... consistency... represented club state and country... setting trends... big game winner... role model... an ambassador... mostly, they need to tick all of these boxes - not a couple. i do think lockyer in my 40 years watching the game is the main name that comes to mind.. johns shouldnt be there at all.. reserve a few sppts for thurston smith etc... i didnt get to see the greats of the eras before the 80s so its hard to say...

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
none of those under 25s are immortals though right?
Pills are just a lot more socially acceptable to different age groups if there was a plebiscite tomorrow for people under 30 to make them legal it would pass. It's the equivalent of any the immortals before Johns smoking a jay.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd give it to Geoff Robinson. Mad, long haired motherfucker. Loved watching him play.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone have anything concrete on what actually defines an immortal in the game? I can't find the selection criteria anywhere.
It's a subjective decision made by a magazine. It's a little overblown IMO.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Norm Provan.
10 premierships!!!!!
Nuff said.
But the Dragons cheated to win those. They should have been stripped when Frank Facer revealed all the players were registered as living at his house so they could qualify to play for St.George. There was a residency rule then.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Problem is "Immortals" should be up around 30 members by now. Their is current future immortals playing right now yet we are missing so many from era's gone by. So many names should be in it and we should be "up to date" and watching the futures and not chasing the older guys. When it all started they should have announced a group of about 20......then gone every 8 years or so for the next.
There should be one from each decade. Make the whole process easier and pick the best player over each ten year period.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Provan was too long ago.

I would go for Beetson.

Overall though I think the NRL has it wrong. We should have a Hall of Fame and the Immortals standing above them (The Best of the Best)

We should induct hall of Fame candidates every year and an Immortal above them.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Provan was too long ago.

I would go for Beetson.

Overall though I think the NRL has it wrong. We should have a Hall of Fame and the Immortals standing above them (The Best of the Best)

We do have a hall of fame. Has about 30 people in it.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Provan was too long ago.

I would go for Beetson.

Beetson is already an Immortal.

Status
Not open for further replies.