Opinion That was the last game that I watch with Gerard Sutton as ref

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's an indictment on the game when he's the leading ref and gets all of the big games every year.

Still, like @Ewan McGrady said, QLD should never have been in that series based on talent alone so NSW only have themselves to blame and QLD deserve all the credit for winning the series when they were given no chance.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s either or both, the worst judge of a rugby league match or the most corrupt adjudicator in the games history . . . toss of the coin really . But his head should be on a spike as a deterrent to those that might follow his example.
Unfortunately when you have betting agencies as sponsors, the sport hires people like Sutton and his entire family, remember it’s mafias that run most of these sports, and they need to get paid, Sutton and family are following orders, and play their part magnificently!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sutton is a poor referee, granted. But NSW was poorly coached, had no game plan, and had some very serious
selection errors. The best NSW player, Wighton, never handled the ball in the first stanza.
As one broadcaster mentioned. Brisbane had a coach. NSW had a mini bus.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Unfortunately when you have betting agencies as sponsors, the sport hires people like Sutton and his entire family, remember it’s mafias that run most of these sports, and they need to get paid, Sutton and family are following orders, and play their part magnificently!
Exactly, people call him a shit ref but he is the betting agencies go-to man, hence he gets the big games.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sutton is a poor referee, granted. But NSW was poorly coached, had no game plan, and had some very serious
selection errors. The best NSW player, Wighton, never handled the ball in the first stanza.
As one broadcaster mentioned. Brisbane had a coach. NSW had a mini bus.
IMO, Centres need to be centres. Wighton should of been 6. Cleary is over rated

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, people call him a shit ref but he is the betting agencies go-to man, hence he gets the big games.
Exactly, he’s only doing his job! Last night as I was watching the game, I realised he’s such a mystro, he’s able to control the game comfortably, the bloke did not flinch, I couldn’t watch anymore, that’s how good his performance was! Did he get man of the series?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’ve hit the nail in the head. Last I heard Qld were paying upwards of $3 for yesterday’s match and probably $10 for the series. I used to bet on the footy years ago but stopped for that reason. Criminals laundering money are happy to take very short odds, look at Winx or Black caviar and the massive amounts bet on those at around $1.05 . They would be thrilled with his performance and the $3 on offer

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Purely from a NRL referees development perspective, and game interest, it is extremely shortsighted to use only one referee.

Typical of the poor officiating all round. Apart from Vlad, the whole bunch are sporting organisation minnows.

Apparently that game was the biggest crowd attendance numbers anywhere in the world this year.

Very poor as a showcase if Suckon is the best ref and they deem he gets all three games. Koala.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have had doubts about G Sutton long before Black Friday. I know from 22 years experience how difficult a job refereeing is but it also makes it easy for me to see when something is not right.

The 2014 semi against Manly at the SFS was when I started to have doubts.

Josh Reynolds kicked a ball it rebounded off Sutton and he correctly ruled a scrum. However he gave Manly the feed when we had territorial advantage. It was only when JMOZ told him that it was our feed that he changed his mind.

Black Friday has been well documented but it was a watershed game that has seen us lose 26 of the next 28 games G Sutton has controlled including the last 18 in succession since our last win in Rd 1 2016 v Manly at Brookvale. I have never seen or heard of a record like that in any sport anywhere on the planet. It is obviously a problem that needs to be sorted.

I wonder if the new admin of the bulldogs is aware of our record under G Sutton and if they have raised any concerns with "No Real Leadership". During a similar 4 year period the Broncos have won close to 90% of games he has controlled at Suncorp and Queensland would be similar I suspect.

Our record under brother Chris is marginally better with 2 bulldog wins from the last 11. The two of them together are a nightmare as evidenced in the 2018 game against the Broncos at Suncorp when Pay was fined for saying we were not meant to win.

One would hope now that Bernard is no longer head of referees and not on the appointments committee that the Sutton brothers false high rankings tumbles accordingly.

The evening up of the penalty count as many have alluded to is not a new concept for G Sutton. It happens in most of his games. Ivan Clearly was fined early this season for suggesting this in a game against Canberra. He was correct in my view.

Years ago in the states a baseball player was suspended for life for points shaving. He was alleged to have allowed the opposition to score some runs that would keep the score close and MLB apparently found evidence that proved his guilt.

Is this happening in the NRL with betting agencies sponsoring the game?

Like others I stopped watching Bulldogs games controlled by any of the Sutton's. I record them and delete them once I know the result.

Heaven help us if Bernard returns to the bunker and the three of them are on the same Bulldogs game.

Winning a game controlled by one or more of these Muppet is TBAZ's biggest challenge.

They are the biggest impediment to a Bulldogs Grand Final victory in the short term future.