News Tevita Pangai Junior on the hunt for Canterbury, with his career at the crossroads

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I (perhaps shamefully) turned the game off after the first half. I was just over the bad luck and the team not handling it. Losing Kiraz and Okunbor stinking it up on the wing did it for me.

Anyway, one shining light was how aggressive and effective Tevita was! Amazing performance for his first hitout.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Funny that, because he carried most of the team on the weekend. Don’t get me wrong, I have also questioned his value, but he showed up when few did the other day. If he can just stay on the field we’ll get the rewards.
Totally agree.
If he can maintain that form he can make up for the lesser performances.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Pussy Cuck Jnr

Big for nothing, shit talking cat

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a fan, but bog average today. Hopefully better next week, and more consistent from there. He needs to inspire the younger pups.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we had Vaughany he’d be a bench impact trying to force his way into the starting side.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gutter tactics, needs to watch Payne Haas to see what a damaging ball runner looks like.
Did we release Vaughn for the likes of that?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘He plays for highlights’: Tallis slams Dogs enforcer in urgent need of ‘penny drop’ moment

Fox League from Fox Sports
July 25th, 2023 11:20 am

Rugby league legend Gorden Tallis has accused Canterbury enforcer Tevita Pangai Junior of “playing for highlights” and wasting his potential.

There’s always been big raps on Pangai Junior’s ability, but he’s fallen short of those expectations in stints at the Broncos and Bulldogs.
The one exception

was a six-game cameo at the Panthers in 2021 when Ivan Cleary simplified TPJ’s game and the front-rower helped the club win a premiership.

But Tallis believes the 27-year-old has fallen back into bad habits since joining the Dogs last year and said he needs to put the team first.

“He plays for highlights, he plays for the big play,” Tallis said on NRL 360.

“If the penny dropped, like with (Broncos prop) Payne Haas, and he got a buzz out of playing the ball quick then he’d be one of the best players in the game.

You see (Panthers prop Spencer) Leniu comes off the bench, he knocks them over like ten pin bowling and plays the ball quick (and) that is the biggest play in the game.

“If Pangai comes off the back fence and gets between two guys, uses his strength and ability to get between two and play the ball quick, that is so valuable in the modern game. But he doesn’t see that as a commodity.

“He wants the big offload, the step and all that play that doesn’t come off.”

Tallis said Pangai Junior has “promised the world and provided an atlas” in the NRL, while Braith Anasta called the $750,000 forward the “most frustrating” player in the competition.

“If I said to him you play the ball quick we’ll give you pat on the back, you play the ball quick 15 times and you’ll get man of the match or have 10 runs and five offloads, he’ll take 10 runs and five offloads,” Tallis said.

“I think he’s the most frustrating player to watch because the potential that he has had the player he could be but just not to see him reach it and it hurts the clubs that he’s at because he costs so much,” Anasta said.