News Teams culling cheerleaders, but did anyone ask the cheerleasders thoughts?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Politically correct https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...lly-correct-stance/1bp0kgts43euz1puktzrajoc7x

Great write up from one of our own.

Former Sapphires' captain Darcie McDonald blasts 'politically-correct' stance on cheerleaders

Written By Lucie Bertoldo

Former Bulldogs' cheer captain Darcie McDonald has been left 'baffled' as NRL clubs move to phase cheerleaders out of the game, arguing that the 'politically correct' stance will only exclude women from rugby league.

Several clubs have now re-branded or altogether ditched their cheer squads in a politically-correct push to 'desexualise' and 'tone down' the pre-match entertainment.

After South Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne axed their cheerleading programs for 'community dance groups' and 'street crews,' the Brisbane Broncos kicked off their first home game with a re-branded dance squad.

Getting rid of the traditional cheerleading costumes for a 'toned down' and 'athletic' look featuring spandex, tights and noticeably fewer pompoms, the Broncos re-branded their all-female crew to "desexualise" the performers.

But McDonald, who worked as a cheerleader for five years with the Canterbury Bulldogs' Sapphires, believes that clubs have taken a politically correct stance without considering how the decision will affect the dancers themselves.

Speaking to Macquarie Sports Radio's Cam Reddin on Saturday morning, the now Big League journalist slammed NRL clubs for having a lack of backbone.

"When it comes to cheerleaders, everyone speaks on behalf of them," she told the program.
"No person is forced to audition, no one has ever been forced to wear a costume or wear their hair a certain way - this is all by choice.
"No one has spoken to the girls that this is going to affect, the girls are quite happy to be referred to as cheerleaders and that's all that should matter really.
"I encourage these clubs in these situations to have a backbone, it tends to be an overly politically correct stance.
"What is so offensive about talented dancers who put so much work in behind the scenes?"

As the governing body pushes to increase the presence of women in the game, critics have called for the scrapping of cheer squads to encourage young girls to take the field as a player instead.

But the former Sapphires' captain pointed out that culling cheerleaders is a "massive contradiction" to the movement and accused the clubs in question of excluding women from the game.

"It's a massive contradiction if we are trying to boost women in the game," McDonald said.
"Back in the day, they were the pinnacle. They were the first women to be part of the game. If we're trying to boost womens' profile in the game, why are we turning a blind eye to these girls who are talented dancers and want to be a part of the game? They want to be a part of it and they want to perform."
"In my year 6 yearbook, when I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wrote 'a Bulldogs cheerleader'. Who gets to live their childhood dream? I will never be ashamed of being a Bulldogs cheerleader,"

Outside rugby league, the popularity of cheerleading has been on the rise after it was recognised to be worthy of Olympic status.

In 2016, cheerleading and the martial art of Muay Thai beat 14 other sports to earn "provisional recognition" by the International Olympic Council. After three years (in 2019), the sports can apply to become part of the Olympic Games.

McDonald believes that scrapping the cheerleading squads for 'dance crews' could potentially hinder the opportunities of young aspiring dancers.

"To be honest, I am totally baffled. I can't seem to understand what is so negative about the word 'cheerleader,'" she added.
"A cheerleader, basically from my experience, is so much more than a dancer in a dance squad. When you're a cheerleader you are a brand ambassador; you do charity visits, hospital visits, you help out at junior clinics, and you represent a club.
"But, when you're part of a dance squad, you're just labelled as a dancer. (Cheerleading) opens up doors for young dancers.
"I was a brand ambassador, so much more than a dancer. So, taking cheerleaders out of the game is essentially taking away opportunities for young dancers."

Last edited by a moderator:

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
What a load of garbage. First of all it's not as if they're showing any more skin than your average bird out on a friday night. Secondly, every female league fan know has a fixation on their favourite hunk(s).

This reeks of insecure men and ugly women trying to shut down pretty, young, athletic women because they could never get them or look like them.

If these kinds of people continue to be in decision making positions, in 50 years all women will be sent for forced feedings and all men for castrations.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I go to the games to watch the footy, not cheerleaders.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great job Darcie! A really good read and one with a lot of common sense.

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with cheerleaders in the game, besides they are not even a distraction when your watching your team play!! Don’t see the issue myself.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Teams don't have a clue.

Cheerleaders have been part of the game since 1964. Long before any of these PC idiots became involved with the game.

In the early days they were almost marching band attire, before quickly changing in the 70s and 80s to leotards, and in 00's into more bodysuits/suits and skirts..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm meh either way on cheerleaders. I don't think they add much, but I don't think they take anything away either. I see them as one of Rugby League's attempts to be American which sprang up from the 60s to the 80s (Jack Gibson working with NFL coaches, John Singleton trying to sex up the Newtown Jets, Friday night football, Monday night football etc). The yanks love their cheerleading - I remember going to a college football game in Atlanta in around 2003, and the Cheerleaders were the only ones that kept me interested. They were all dead set stunners (and dead set top athletes), but I was also 25 and extremely undersexed at the time :grinning:

I no longer am able to go to games regularly being in Brisbane, so obviously i don't noticed them as much though. But yeah, i can take them or leave them. But do laugh at the term "brand ambassador"...

The dance troupes do look silly though, especially at cricket games. It's not as if the AFL or EPL sees the need.

So, to recap:

Do I think they add much? No.
DO I think they are sexist, and should be removed? Also, No.
Would I care if the Dogs got rid of them? Also no, but it also doesn't sound like there are anyway...

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Some background / context. So, this Darcie sheila is now a "journalist" with, of course, News Limited. Not sure how this fits in with he "fuck the media" narrative of so many on TK :p

(from news.com.au).

Hollywood star Russell Crowe blamed for NRL cheerleader controversy
Hollywood star Russell Crowe has been accused of being at the centre of a “baffling” NRL cheerleading drama that’s torn the game in two.

Hollywood star and South Sydney part-owner Russell Crowe has been accused of being the spark that started the NRL’s latest cheerleading firestorm.

Crowe was on Saturday morning slammed by NRL commentator and Macquarie Sports Radio presenter Cam Reddin in a live discussion with rugby league reporter and former Canterbury cheerleader Darcie McDonald.

It comes after the Brisbane Broncos’ decision to cancel its cheerleader program and replace it with a dance squad first emerged earlier this month.

The Broncos became just one of many clubs to scrap its cheerleaders on the scrap heap, following the lead of the Melbourne Storm and Canberra in recently removing cheerleaders from its match day presentations.

The new Broncos’ dancing group was unveiled in the club’s first home game of the year against the Cowboys in round two at Suncorp Stadium, after the Storm unveiled its new urban dance group in the season-opener in Melbourne.

The plight of cheerleaders in the game has long been a point of friction in the game, but McDonald — a Bulldogs cheerleader for five seasons — told Macquarie Sports Radio she is “baffled” by the growing trend of cheerleaders becoming “demonised”.

The discussion then turned to Crowe’s role in leading the game’s push to eradicate cheerleaders after his Rabbitohs were the first Sydney club to ditch its cheerleaders, who were replaced originally by a marching band in 2007.

Crowe told The Daily Telegraph at the time he believes fans found it “uncomfortable” having cheerleaders perform during his team’s games.

“It makes women uncomfortable and it makes blokes who take their son to the football also uncomfortable,” he said at the time.

“But we are thankful for the time and effort the girls put in and some of them probably will be disappointed.”

“We feel they (cheerleaders) made a lot of people uncomfortable.”

McDonald, now a journalist with Big League Magazine, rubbished Crowe’s claims by declaring she never once felt uncomfortable in the game as both a spectator and as a cheerleader.

“I find that absolutely hilarious,” she said.

“I grew up going to the footy. I probably went for the first time as a newborn. I remember one game I went to when I was about eight years old and I didn’t really understand footy at that age. I went purely for the cheerleaders. So I can guarantee you it does not make children uncomfortable. In fact in my Year 6 yearbook when I was asked what I want to be when I grow up, I wrote ‘cheerleader’.

“I will never be ashamed of being a cheerleader. It’s catapulted me into so many other opportunities. I am just baffled about how people are offended by cheerleaders. What could be offensive about talented dancers?

“I am totally baffled. I can’t understand what is so negative about the word ‘cheerleader’. A cheerleader from my experience is so much more than just a dancer in a dance squad. When you’re a cheerleader, you’re a brand ambassador. You do charity visits, hospital visits, you help out at junior clinics, you greet fans, you represent a club. When you’re part of a dance squad, you’re purely being branded as just a dancer.”
View image on Twitter

Darcie McDonald@DarcieMcDonald

I disagree, still can be a great addition of colour and spectacle. Let’s not generalise and use one badly timed photo of a young woman with a bigger bust... I thought you said earlier it should be inclusive of all shapes & sizes..
You too!

Macquarie Sports Radio

✔@MacquarieSport

EXCLUSIVE | NRL clubs are quietly scrapping their cheerleaders as part of a politically-correct overhaul.

Former Bulldogs' cheer captain @DarcieMcDonald tells @CamReddin cheerleaders have been trailblazers for women in sport and belong in #NRL

Details: https://bit.ly/2HVwx89

Darcie McDonald@DarcieMcDonald

Came across this blast from the past photo tonight. 2013- when the tan was dark, sit-ups were a necessity and cheerleading was life. How times have changed
@NRL_Bulldogs

8:12 PM - Aug 28, 2018

19 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

She said she has always found it insulting when her former profession was criticised by commentators sticking up on her behalf. She said she was never put in an uncomfortable position and wants critics to back off.

Reddin said the whole saga all started with Crowe.

“It was the Rabbitohs that all really kicked this off with Russell Crowe,” he said.

“The word he used to describe the cheerleaders was ‘uncomfortable’.

“He said it made male, female and children in the stands feel uncomfortable. Well, I’m not so sure about that. I’m not sure how many complaints they got about that, not sure what consultation they had there.

“I think it’s just off, a little distasteful.”

ABC Brisbane

✔@abcbrisbane

What do you think of the @brisbanebroncos cheerleaders’ new look?

From tonight the young women spurring on the Broncos shall be known as dancers, moving "from a cheerleading look to an athletic look".

7:08 PM - Mar 22, 2019

18 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Broncos’ dance squad coach Jools Purchase told the ABC recently the decision was made for the group to step away from traditional cheerleading routines to focus more on an “athletic” look.

“We’ve actually been trying to change it for a while now, because life happens and we want to desexualise things,” she said.

“We’re still all-female, still cheery but without the cheerleading look, I guess you could say.

“Still got our pompoms and all that sort of stuff, we’ve got to keep a bit of tradition in there, I think.”

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not PC at all but I can understand this just for the simple fact that I know when I'm looking at the cheerleaders, I'm only thinking one thing :grimacing:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@CroydonDog you do realise @Darciemcd is an active member here right :D???

Butch ugly feminists trying to destroy jobs held by beautiful women what a surprise.

The men who go along with this PC crap are an embarrassment.
Well remember when Raelene removed the cheerleaders and made them brand ambassadors and wearing suits and shit.

Hence you may be onto something with your theory.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keep the cheerleaders but I feel the criteria must be based on the cheerleader actually being an NRL fan !!

I know you can't see it, smell it,hear it or feel it when they're dancing but it kind of turned me off knowing most cheerleaders don't even follow NRL.

It just feels fake.. You know what I mean fellas

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheerleaders have been the only thing that keep me entertained at dogs games in recent years.

They show more enthusiasm and skill then most the squad.

Keep them purely women tho. We have enough men to look at.