News Taaffe prepared for Bulldogs No. 1 battle

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
that’s what scares me. Nothing ciro has done has demonstrated he knows the difference between live match conditions and training. Averillo, while also shit in defense, shoulda had that fullback jumper since day 1

Would not surprise me if taffe ended up there despite critta being the more talented player. And if taffe does get there it’ll be the usual bs “oh he’s got a voice at the back”
Taaffe's defence in the Souths/ Brisbane Tigers game on GF day was outstanding.

He is a natural fullback, but I'd like to see him in the halves to assess his potential there.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Taaffe learning ball playing off Cody and Latrell can only be a good thing

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Attitude sounds great. There's going to be some real talent in our backline. If his efforts don't match his words he might be struggling to get a place in the round 1 side. Wishing him luck though. Hope he's a signing we're cheering about next year.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Critta lowkey looked better of the left great versatility potent of both edges. Can incorporate a kicking game on the left which I didn’t notice much of the right. Ciraldo will play him at fullback and he will be average so nvm.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just gotta hope Ciro has learnt a lot from this disaster first year as well and can grow into the Head Coach role. Hope too that Gus takes a more active guiding role in helping him and Taylor adjust lol
I really hope he turns things round next year. With solid or better forwards that can hold their own, our backline is probably going to be tough to stop if they get good ball. Just have to secure a couple of those forwards.at least one better than solid prop would be great.

I actually don't want gus getting in the way too much round training.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I really hope he turns things round next year. With solid or better forwards that can hold their own, our backline is probably going to be tough to stop if they get good ball. Just have to secure a couple of those forwards.at least one better than solid prop would be great.

I actually don't want gus getting in the way too much round training.
Agree don't want Gus hanging around at training but he would be invaluable to CC and JT being a bit more hands on with their development with us. From what he says, he keeps out of selection etc decisions and we saw this year that that looks like it is an achillis heel of CC.

He needs Gus to get him some middles for sure!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol
Those guys didn’t train because they were over 30 and had played 300 games of FG.
Outside backs in their early 20’s have no excuse for not training hard.
Ok but does it matter what the reason is?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Also the training standards were much different back then seeing it wasn't a full time comp and most of these guys worked full time Monday-Friday and played on weekends
But hang on when @lovemachine said Mortimer would be whacked in todays game he was crucified, doesn’t this show it!

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Morris got moved to right centre because Xerri preferred the left centre. He blew up because of it. Xerri only played right centre because he was a rookie.

He is a left hand ball carrier. So is Crichton.

You are moot if you don’t see that. All of the best modern day centres play on their dominant side.

- Inglis
- Latrell
- Hodges
- Gasnier
- Vagana
- Gidley
- Manu
- Lyon
- Cooper

They may have switched sides occasionally but they were nowhere near as effective on their non preferred side.

You are taking the piss if you can’t see that .
Most centers prefer the left because they get more ball.

Critta has scored match winning tries in GF's and SOO playing on the right ... in fact he has played much of his football there.

Xerri is also adapt either side as any highlights package will show.

ifdogsrunfree

Waterboy
Reaction score
As a point of difference, we could revert to the old inside/ outside centre combination. That will confuse the opposition
And our players too
Nah forget it

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taaffe learning ball playing off Cody and Latrell can only be a good thing
We def need that option of another ball player. He is quick also. Not Walsh quick but I believe he could play a similar role. Floating behind and then rushing into gaps. I think Crichton may also float around as Tommy T did in origin

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most centers prefer the left because they get more ball.

Critta has scored match winning tries in GF's and SOO playing on the right ... in fact he has played much of his football there.

Xerri is also adapt either side as any highlights package will show.
Exactly!

Both Xerri & Crichton have both played the majority of their football on the right. They both might prefer the left but both can play and play well well on the right. Crichton got centre of the year playing basically all season until the last few on the right.

If the Burton to centre gets thrown up that is a different story he is definitely a left sided player.

I would like to see either:

FB. Taaffe
Centres. Crichton/Xerri
5/8. Burton

Or

FB. Crichton
Centres. Burton/Xerri
5/8. Taaffe

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good to have someone with his versitly in the positions he plays