Storm table a rich offer for Brandon Smith

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Storm tables rich offer to in-demand hooker, per report
‘The Cheese’s bottom line looks set for a substantial boost.

In-demand Storm hooker Brandon Smith has reportedly received and offer of a $600,000 a year deal to remain in the Victoria capital.

According to a report from The Daily Telegraph on Thursday afternoon, the deal placed before the 25-year-old rake is set to kick start a bidding war between the Storm and at least six rival clubs.

Should a collective of teams including Sydney and Canterbury remain determined to sign Smith, the larrikin affectionately known as 'Cheese' could see his pay wedge climb as his services are will effectively be auctioned on the open market.

Melbourne Storm Training Session

Speaking to News Corp, Smith's manager explained that he was taken aback by Melbourne's opening offer.

“I was pleasantly surprised with their offer,” said Smith’s manager Stan Martin.

“It is certainly a lot higher than I thought it would be. I was really surprised and I think they are aware of what it will take to keep him.”

Although Smith has expressed a desire to play as a starting nine for an NRL side, journalist James Phelps was of the belief that back-up hooker Harry Grant will also remain under Craig Bellamy's guidance.

“That is part of the problem,” Martin said.

“And that is the reason we put him on the market originally. We don’t know how they are going to play him at Melbourne and that is fair enough because they have Harry Grant.”

Melbourne Storm Training Session

Irrespective of the tabled deal, Martin continued by saying that there were more suitors in the market than just the Chooks and Dogs.

Phelps revealed that the Tigers and expansion hopeful Redcliffe had also contacted him in regard to the Waiheke Island wrecking ball.

“We have fielded a number of expressions of interest,” Smith's manager said.

“Yes. There have been six clubs. Easily.”

NRL Rd 20 - Dragons v Storm

While the Storm have signaled their intentions, Smith is still expected to sit down with these aforesaid sides when he is afforded the chance after November 1 of this year.

“We can’t sign any contract with anyone other than the Storm until the 1st of November,” Martin said.

SEE ALSO: Cronk issues strong warning to players who refuse vaccine

“We can discuss options but we can’t sign. He has another year to go on the contract. I will give them an indication of his value. As an agent I would like to think he could get a million but $800,000 may be a more realistic target.”

Smith and the Storm are set to face the Sea Eagles on Saturday night.
How much did we shell out for Napa ffs?? Smith would help put that pathetic deal into perspective- he gives a 110%

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
600K is a good offer from Melb as he'll be staying with the back to back premiers with more success virtually guaranteed under Bellamy. He's in a system he knows, playing good ball and is more than comfortable if he gets away with loading the coaches bag up with rocks and dry humping him at training.

Don't be surprised he stays for all the above.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
By far Brandon Smith is the pick of the bunch but there are still a lot of good hookers available next year that would come cheaper and free up space for another quality edge forward and then possibly a middle. Both Braileys, Reuben Cotter, Fainu, Hodgson, Koroisau, Mahoney, Starling. I would rather see us maybe pick up one of the Braileys, Cotter or Starling and then put ourselves in a position to get Ryan Matterson (an upgrade on RFM) and Fotuaika (upgrade on Vaughan).

1 JAC
2 Naden
3 Schoupp
4 Alamoti
5 Cotric
6 Burton
7 BBO
8 Hetherington
9 Blayke Brailey (my preference)
10 Fotuaika
11 TPJ
12 Matterson
13 Thompson (c)

14 Avo
15 Ava
16 Patolo
17 Elliott/Jacko (one of them has to go)

Last edited:

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is someone you base the whole team around. If the club is serious it will pay him a million if that's what it takes. FFS we haven't had a hooker since Ennis left!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
By far Brandon Smith is the pick of the bunch but there are still a lot of good hookers available next year that would come cheaper and free up space for another quality edge forward and then possibly a middle. Both Braileys, Reuben Cotter, Fainu, Hodgson, Koroisau, Mahoney, Starling. I would rather see us maybe pick up one of the Braileys, Cotter or Starling and then put ourselves in a position to get Ryan Matterson (an upgrade on RFM) and Fotuaika (upgrade on Vaughan).
You might be right - by the club re-signing JMK they might be thinking 2023 is the year we sign a better quality 9 or they don't have faith in getting Smith (or getting him early).

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be right - by the club re-signing JMK they might be thinking 2023 is the year we sign a better quality 9 or they don't have faith in getting Smith (or getting him early).
JMK is literally the only 9 we have signed at the club next year mate.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JMK is literally the only 9 we have signed at the club next year mate.
Agree, but I think it shows they're not that confident of getting anyone else. I'd say Dietz will be re-signed but probably not in the top 30 until we say what happens in the off season.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless he signs with us .. WHO GIVES A FUCK.. how many times do we have to hear about this guy? Not saying He is not a quality player. But there is no I in team, and we are the Mighty BULLDOG.. with or WITHOUT him. Just move on until it’s official.!!
Yes unless he re-signs with the Storm we won't be getting confirmation of him moving to us or any other club until November. Long wait unfortunately.

Each day he doesn't extend with the Storm means we're a greater chance of getting him. If he hasn't re-signed by the end of this month you would think that means he is going on the open market. He's crazy if he doesn't test his market value to be stuck behind Grant at the Storm for less money.

I really think we're the favourites if we offer up Cotric for 2022 or other players they might be interested in.

Last edited:

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear roosters are about to table an offer. If he goes there I’ll forever hate the *****. Oh and fuckk Politis

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes unless he re-signs with the Storm we won't be getting confirmation of him moving to us or any other club until November. Long wait unfortunately.
Each day he doesn't extend with the Storm means we're a greater chance of getting him. If he hasn't re-signed by the end of this month you would think that means he is going on the open market. He's crazy if he doesn't test his market value to be stuck behind Grant at the Storm for less money.
I really think we're the favourites if we offer up Cotric for 2022 or other players they might be interested in.
BSmith (or rather his agent) doesn't need to "test the market" he already knows what he is worth and it's a damn sight more than $600k. He also knows that Grant will be there for the next 2 years (2023 is a Melbourne option) pushing him out of his favoured position. What he doesn't know is how long Bellamy will stay as coach, could only be next year. The extent of Bellamy's role after that no one really knows and will probably depend on another unknown, who the coach will be.

Lots of pluses and minuses in BSmith's decision and the reality is he can take until November 2022 to make it.

Always a Bulldog

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Storm offer was a offer to get the bidding between his manager & club started. People saying it was a low ball offer etc. :tearsofjoy: Also it was an offer to say what the have started at. So clubs can't offer him less & then pay him under the table.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Storm offer was a offer to get the bidding between his manager & club started. People saying it was a low ball offer etc. :tearsofjoy: Also it was an offer to say what the have started at. So clubs can't offer him less & then pay him under the table.
Of course they can (offer him less & then pay him under the table) the Wabbits did it with Mitchell.

Always a Bulldog