Official Storm secure major signings

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm today revealed details of one of the most significant player announcements in the Club’s history.

Speaking at the 2012 Premiership Reunion today, Storm Chairman, Matt Tripp, announced Harry Grant, Jahrome Hughes and Xavier Coates had all extended their contracts this week to secure their long-term future at the Club.
Hughes and Coates have committed to the end of the 2026 season, while Grant has agreed to an extension to the end of 2025.

The trio join fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen, winger Reimis Smith, captain Christian Welch and Australian Schoolboys representative, Jack Howarth, on long-term deals with Storm.

Making the announcement in front of the 2012 Premiership team, current players, coaches, staff and the Storm faithful, Tripp said the Club was thrilled to have many key positions locked in for the long term.

“To have players the calibre of Harry, Jahrome and Xavier all committed to our club for a long period gives us great confidence heading into the future,” Tripp said.

“We now have a quality spine, our skipper, an exciting winger and some great young talent all locked away for a few years.

“We know the three are quality players and, more importantly, quality people. We are proud of the strong culture we have built across the entire club and will always work hard to keep good people.”

Returning to the team after sitting last week out with COVID, Grant said he was excited about the future direction of the Club.

"We have a core group of players who have now signed up for a few extra years which definitely helped with my decision,” Grant said.

“If we can keep that core group together for a long period of time, it only helps with getting the success we all want.

“The Club gave me an opportunity when I started with under 20’s and then again when I was on loan at Wests Tigers, so to come back and get the opportunity to stay longer is really exciting.” Grant said.

Hughes said the decision to stay in Melbourne was an easy one.

I’m really happy where I am and can’t wait to be in Melbourne Storm colours for a few more years,” Hughes said.

“I have a lot of faith in the players coming through and the coaching staff, so it was an easy decision to make in the end. The Club is really well run and we wanted to keep as many of the boys here as possible, so it’s great to sign on with the other boys.

“With a few leaders moving on next year, we all have to step up and I need to be one of those to take on that challenge.” Hughes said.

Coates made an immediate impact on the team, combining with his PNG national teammate Justin Olam to form one of the most dangerous edges in the competition.

“From the moment I landed in Melbourne, I have loved my time here and everyone has made me feel so welcome,” Coates said.

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else to be honest. I’ve had the most enjoyable time here and the club has been so welcoming. I can’t wait to pull on the purple jersey for a few more years.”

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And of course no price tag announced and the media didn’t bother speculating either.

Can only imagine if the Dogs wrapped up 3x quality players the article would contain “rich deal” “in excess of” “believed to be” “salary cap pressure”etc… News Ltd hump the Storm.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, that's Munster gone. Whilst Dobbo is telling me he'll be at the Dolphins. Dobbo is usually full of shit.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course it's just a coincidence that they (sorry, the refs) beat us in the 2012 GF and we play them this weekend.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nah signed on for 150k a season mate. Loved the team when he was a kid, always his dream, loves the coach...... you know the story.
That’s right, 150k on one book and you’ll find in a Safe tucked away at Storm HQ, the print reads $500k on another book

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like writing on the wall Munster will be Dolphins major signing after that news
Anyone else find it weird that Braith Anasta is the agent for Cam Munster and they constantly talk about him on NRL360?

I noticed BA isn't shy to ask the panellists their opinion on who Melb or Dolphins should/target. Maybe he is doing his bit to gain interest or put media pressure on the clubs to act quick....

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course it's just a coincidence that they (sorry, the refs) beat us in the 2012 GF and we play them this weekend.

Always a Bulldog
Nrl beat us in 2012 by changing the obstruction rule towards the end of the season. Then in the grand final des beat us with his reliance on the cross field kick every 5th tackle. We had zero variation in our attack (and haven't been much better since)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So much for everyone panicking that their culture was eroding so much that they'd lose all of their best players.

As I keep saying, as long as Bellamy is coaching and they have a half decent squad, they're always going to be a contender.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Imagine if the dolphins don’t land Munster or Ponja! Their roster is looking Very skinny.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So much for everyone panicking that their culture was eroding so much that they'd lose all of their best players.

As I keep saying, as long as Bellamy is coaching and they have a half decent squad, they're always going to be a contender.
Yeah, if they're investing in good youngsters they'll find it easier to maintain a quality squad than it is for teams to build one. It never hurts to have that second set of books when it comes to retaining talent though.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And of course no price tag announced and the media didn’t bother speculating either.

Can only imagine if the Dogs wrapped up 3x quality players the article would contain “rich deal” “in excess of” “believed to be” “salary cap pressure”etc… News Ltd hump the Storm.
I think part of things is the fact that sweet fuck all people actually give two shits about them compared to plenty of other teams. But yeah it's a noticeable difference to when we sign or retain players.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon they should've re-signed Munster over Hughes. Nothing against Hughes but Munster is the more talented player, Hughes was a manufactured half and I'm pretty sure Melbourne could replicate that again.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon they should've re-signed Munster over Hughes. Nothing against Hughes but Munster is the more talented player, Hughes was a manufactured half and I'm pretty sure Melbourne could replicate that again.
The secret of their manufactured success is that the players are smart players already in spine positions.

Hughes was a handy fullback. He wasn't exceptional, but he had the footy smarts.

The could potentially manufacture a halfback out of Pappy, and dind another fullback (Meaney) but atm Pappy is too good and damaging at fullback.

The interesting dilemma for Brad Fitler is that Teddy and Turbo have been nowhere near previous top form while Pappy is right on song. How do you keep him out of the squad?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hughes was far better than Munster last season imo. This year they are on par.