Stewart may miss season opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog Bandit

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stewart could miss round 1.

Manly officials are considering standing down Brett Stewart from the opening round of the NRL premiership as police continue investigations into an alleged sexual assualt.

Following several months of boardroom upheaval, there could be further self-inflicted pain for the Sea Eagles, but this time on the football field.

NRL chief executive David Gallop has revealed the club had already addressed the prospect of being without their star full-back indefinitely.

"Certainly Manly are considering that over the next few days as more information comes to light," Gallop said.

"My initial discussion with them, we've spoken about that being a distinct possibility.

"There's no hard and fast rule we've had with players being stood down when police charges have been laid before.

Police have not laid any charges against Stewart.

"Everyone will just have to respect that it's an early time in the investigation.

"It's very difficult to have a hard and fast rule. Obviously you need to look at how much of the facts are immediately in dispute, what sort of matter you're dealing with.

"Even with just those two things it can throw up so many variables."

The loss of Stewart would compound the loss of Test winger David Williams for five weeks with a shoulder injury.

Manly godfather Ken Arthurson conceded the club is now facing one of its greatest tests of character.

"The behaviour of the Manly club has been something that we're especially proud of over the last couple of years," Arthurson said.

"If you look at the record there's been no major misdemeanours by Manly players.

"It's not as though there's a problem at the club, so how you react to this isn't something we're really used to.

"I think because this is an isolated incident, I think it will have the effect of binding them together. Without pre-empting anything, but knowing the quality of the guys at the club, they'll certainly pull together.

"They'll come together as one to get through all this."

B

Billy Ngawini

500k fine for those northern beach scum.

otherwise our money in 2004 should be refunded

P

Promiscuous

Lets hope he misses the first round! That'll help our causes...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's hope for our sake's both he and Watmough get stood down for Round 1.

B

Billy Ngawini

yeh so they should get the same punishment

alleged sexual assualt, no charges, mass histeria over something that has not been proven.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
yeh so they should get the same punishment

alleged sexual assualt, no charges, mass histeria over something that has not been proven.
Yep, exactly right. As should have the Tigers for the whole Laffranchi thing, the Knights for the Dane Tilse thing, the Warriors for Michael Crockett, the Broncos for Boyd, Thaiday and Hunt and so on.

If we get a huge fine and a suspended fine for "bringing the game into disrepute" despite being found innocent and the claims being unproven then why don't all of these other clubs?

If we rort the cap by $1 million and the Warriors do by $500,000 why don't they get docked half the points we did instead of the measly four or whatever it was they did?

It's all complete BS and how any of these muppets at the NRL still have a job is beyond me.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Stewart & Watmough probably won't be selected. With Wolfman already out, we're looking good. :grinning:

K

kennyy

they got good replacements tho
robertson might shift to fullback
williams onto the wing
and watmough well yeh when is the last time he stepped up in a club game

we wll get towled

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score
all i can say is wooohoooooooooo lookin really good for round 1 people

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
they got good replacements tho
robertson might shift to fullback
williams onto the wing
and watmough well yeh when is the last time he stepped up in a club game

we wll get towled
Yeah if those two were out Robertson would move to fullback, Bani to the wing and and probably Cuthbertson to the second row.

It will certainly increase our chances if they don't play and we would stand a hell of alot more of a chance especially considering how vital Brett Stewart is to almost all of their attack in the 20 and how dangerous he is.

Rani

True Blue
Reaction score
Odds on this won't even happen. I've just heard on the radio that Watmough has been given the green light to play and that no action will be taken against Stewart until there is an outcome of the investigation.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
You have to remember that the 2004 allegations caused mass condemnation of the Doggies by the media without any prove of what they wrote. The media massively overused the word "alleged". In the end, the Doggies were vindicated, except for the unwarranted commented by Detective Inspector Brenton.
The whoe 2004 episode taught the media not to jump at straws and report facts that didn't exist. They are much too cautious these days because egg is very difficult to wash off your face......
PS: I want Manly to be a full strenght, because we need to know where we are at, footy wise. I would like nothing more than to beat a full strength Manly....

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
manly must make it look like they are serious regarding an investigation of brett stewart, by standing him down pending the outcome.

gallop has no balls, these clubs are the ones bringing the nrl down, and he does nothing.
the favored team in the nrl can do no wrong.
broncoes,melbourne,cowboys,manly

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They were saying on the radio that he wont be stood down, which is how it should be until anything is proven or charges are laid. WTF would Brett Stewart sexually assualt some 17 year old chick when 90% of women would love to bang him? If he did do it, he is either retarded, or was blind (which is no excuse) and deserves having his contract torn up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They were saying on the radio that he wont be stood down, which is how it should be until anything is proven or charges are laid. WTF would Brett Stewart sexually assualt some 17 year old chick when 90% of women would love to bang him? If he did do it, he is either retarded, or was blind (which is no excuse) and deserves having his contract torn up.
Exactly right. None of it makes sense and he shouldn't be stood down unless there was some sort of proof. However KL's and my point of what the Dogs were subjected to my the media and the fine handed out by the NRL and the complete lack of consistency with any similar matter since then is a fair one.

Two wrongs don't make a right and unless something is proven against Stewart nothing should happen but that still doesn't excuse what the NRL did to our club for similar baseless allegations about rape or sexual assault.

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
Pending the outcome of the investigation, see the problem with this was that there was an AVO against him so thats a pretty damn serious allagation and now his carrer whether he did it or not is not going to be looked at the same. I mean come on how low do these boys need to go...there is always one.

I mean innocent until proven guilty but wtf was he doing with a 17 year old in the first place even if it was a mix up....

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly right. None of it makes sense and he shouldn't be stood down unless there was some sort of proof. However KL's and my point of what the Dogs were subjected to my the media and the fine handed out by the NRL and the complete lack of consistency with any similar matter since then is a fair one.

Two wrongs don't make a right and unless something is proven against Stewart nothing should happen but that still doesn't excuse what the NRL did to our club for similar baseless allegations about rape or sexual assault.

I was saying that to the Mrs this morning. We copped so much **** over the Coffs Harbour thing, front page for a month, and was all the talkbak radio stations were talking about with every moron saying we should be kicked out of the comp etc... The Tigers thing has already faded away, The Knights story from a few years back got swept under the carpet except for Dane Tilse being sacked, Laffranchi's story was relatively minor, Broncos again was minor, but we are always called ******s by other teams supporters, we are the only ones to cop a fine. Its ****ed. The NRL is ****ed, and the media are ****ed.

K

kennyy

Whinge Whinge bulldog supporters

Name me one incident prior to 04 that has had the magnitude ours or ones since have had?

We were the test case and got failed badly

Only the cronulla one in 03

Status
Not open for further replies.