News Steve Price vows to bring success back to Belmore in new club role

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury legend Steve Price says he has landed “his dream job” as he prepares to take charge of the Bulldogs roster and oversee the future of coach Dean Pay.

Price will step into his role as the club’s new general manager of football on Monday week, marking his official return to the Bulldogs in a full-time capacity since leaving the club at the end of 2004. He joined the Bulldogs board last year but wanted a more hands-on role with the Bulldogs.

Price described the position as “anything to do with rugby league” including the coaches across all grades, pathways, recruitment and high performance.

SALARY CAP

The Bulldogs are finally coming towards the end of a salary cap mess. They have pain ahead for another season before attacking the market in 2021.

“I’m going to be a bystander to start with,’’ Price said. “I have to get to work out what we are doing, why that is, what we’ve got to do, how much we’ve got to spend, who we are looking at and why.
“We are slowly getting to that stage now where we are getting a bit more control which is a good position to be in but we aren’t completely there. The decisions over the last few years have helped us get in a better position quicker.”

PAY’S POSITION

Pay had his deal extended by just one season. Price will have a big say on Pay’s long-term future at the club.

“I’m a former teammate of Deano’s,” Price said. “I want to get to know Dean as a coach. Understand what he is doing and how all the things are working. He brought in Steve Litvensky who is doing a fantastic job as team manager. Dean’s comfortable and confident with Steve. That’s important.

“I only have a couple of games before the end of the season where I can watch and get a feel of what goes on pre-game and game day to get a better understanding of how it works.

“I won’t be in Dean’s way. That’s important. I’ve got all the trust in Deano. I’ll be trying my hardest to make sure he has every opportunity to be the best coach.

“I want it to be an open door scenario.”

LACK OF SUCCESS

Canterbury haven’t won a grand final since Price’s final season in 2004. They could finish with the wooden spoon this year and will miss the finals for the third consecutive year — their longest run without finals football in 53 years.

“Success is what Canterbury is about,” Price said. “It’s why we have had so much success because of the expectations. As a player you lived up to the expectations. That’s the challenge for the players and coaches. “We want to have success again.

“It’s not ideal where we are sitting. I know the players, the coach and everyone is working hard to be in a better position and you can see that with the effort.

“While our fans are upset are at the moment when we do get back to experience that stuff again they will appreciate how far we have come.”

EXCITEMENT

Price has been working towards this position since completing his Masters of Business while still playing for the Warriors. Since retiring he managed and owned a grocery store in New Zealand and has spent the past two years at Westfund Health Insurance as a commercial business develop manager before working as a leadership development and performance manager.

“This role is something I always aspired to do,” Price said. “It was certainly good to come back to the club and be on the board and get an outstanding of what the club does and the challenges. This is an extension of that. It’s more hands on and operational. One of the frustrations about being on the board was it was making decisions for people to do things.

“I’ve enjoyed being the one who gets to do it. I’m excited.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/b062ac8259d7c0ada3707a42f233ed3a

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok price.. used to loved you as a player, now prove your worth to this club, and prove to us all you will bring positives and let me be able to thank an respect you moving forward..!!

Get shit done for us an look after our club and make it great again... then I will BELIEVE!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Being the Terrorgraph I’ll take the content with some caution, but given they’re attributed quotes, let’s assume it’s accurate (for now).

Exactly what I thought Pricey’s motive would be - he’s passionate about the club and wanted a hands on role. I don’t recall Andrew Farrar saying anything similar publicly.

I think it’s a good move, but of course time will tell.

Having said that, his replacement on the board still needs a level of passion, depending on what specific responsibilities he/she are assigned by the Chair.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not against this to be honest. Surprised with the backlash over this announcement.
I find it hilarious how quickly some people can judge a situation.. I honestly wonder what the motives are sometimes..

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like all the appointments in recent years, I’ll wait and see how it turns out before passing judgment.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused on what he will actually be doing his description there is very vague. At least he does confirm that Stephen Litvensky is at the club as team manager and Pricey will be football manager. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they are using this to get him up to speed for the CEO’s job....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Far out, everyone needs to settle and give Pricey a go. Who knows, he could surprise us all
I still dunno wtf his role actually is but I'M MAD ANYWAY.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he does well but atm just words so far actions are what matters dean promised alot and has delivered little

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused on what he will actually be doing his description there is very vague. At least he does confirm that Stephen Litvensky is at the club as team manager and Pricey will be football manager. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they are using this to get him up to speed for the CEO’s job....
Think your spot on Spoonman, i figure his being groomed for exactly that position.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still dunno wtf his role actually is but I'M MAD ANYWAY.
At the moment all I’m interested in is which players we’re going to buy for next year and what our team will look like by 2021 and which coach do they have in mind as Pays successor. Let’s get these things right first. If they get these things right then we’ll know if Price has got what it takes. Obviously Price has had a hard on for an administrative hands on role for sometime. He seems determined, but as all things the fruits of his labor will tell us a lot over time

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes, and for all we know he could just be using us to get experience and move on, a bit like Greenturd. Career advancement opportunity

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At the moment all I’m interested in is which players we’re going to buy for next year and what our team will look like by 2021 and which coach do they have in mind as Pays successor. Let’s get these things right first. If they get these things right then we’ll know if Price has got what it takes. Obviously Price has had a hard on for an administrative hands on role for sometime. He seems determined, but as all things the fruits of his labor will tell us a lot over time
I'm just too exhausted to put much of anything into the club anymore tbh. The last two years have just been everyone at the club running their mouth and hearing Bulldog DNA this or culture that, etc.. just stop being shit on the field lol.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm just too exhausted to put much of anything into the club anymore tbh. The last two years have just been everyone at the club running their mouth and hearing Bulldog DNA this or culture that, etc.. just stop being shit on the field lol.
Exactly, just want to see results on the field

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly, just want to see results on the field
We don't even have to win that much more than we are now, I just want to see some play that makes me happy and growth within the squad. At least we have Liverpool.. can't believe we're already playing Saturday morning.