Rumour Stephen Crighton

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That doesn’t show kick return metres though, which is what he said. It’s worth looking further into that detail too

Perham averages almost double the possessions as Taaffe, which is one reason why he has more overall metres per game.

The reason why he has so many more possessions? The dogs structure has the FB taking the 4th tackle hit up out of our own half the majority of the time, setting up for the 5th tackle kick and allowing the FB to stay there as it turns into defence.

That’s where Perham was getting so many more possessions than other FB’s in different structure, and why his average metres is higher than Blake.

You would need to post the average kick return metre stat to accurately compare and prove or dispute @DogsOfWar1704 point
107.6 metres a game is pretty low for a fullback and if he's been bought for kick return metres that isn't a strength of his imo. You need to have explosive/impactful plays and big moments in games with those run metres.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Taffee returns the ball like Dylan Edwards...
Just puts the foot down from the moment he picks up the ball and charges at gaps the line...

If CC spends 3/4 of the season again wasting time finding a FB when Taaffe should be there from Round 1 - God help us
He runs the ball back hard but his physique stops him from making an impact. If you watch him play he's tackled very easily and doesn't push forward in tackles.

Post contact metres from this year in each game playing fullback
1691215418110.png

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn’t show kick return metres though, which is what he said. It’s worth looking further into that detail too

Perham averages almost double the possessions as Taaffe, which is one reason why he has more overall metres per game.

The reason why he has so many more possessions? The dogs structure has the FB taking the 4th tackle hit up out of our own half the majority of the time, setting up for the 5th tackle kick and allowing the FB to stay there as it turns into defence.

That’s where Perham was getting so many more possessions than other FB’s in different structure, and why his average metres is higher than Blake.

You would need to post the average kick return metre stat to accurately compare and prove or dispute @DogsOfWar1704 point
Well said.
You often need to look at a couple of stats to paint a true picture of effectiveness.

You can't just look at 1 stat alone.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
107.6 metres a game is pretty low for a fullback and if he's been bought for kick return metres that isn't a strength of his imo.
That’s fine that you have this opinion, but it wasn’t the point that was made.
You provided a different statistic in reply to the comment you quoted, to dispute the point that was originally made by the poster.

Moving on to your different point though, Blake would need to improve the amount of possessions, and if we were to run the same structure it would be likely. He averages 20 possessions this year for his 107 metres. In theory if he was to get 30 a game with us (which is 8 below Perhams average) his run metres would be more than Hayzes number you provided previously.

I don’t have a view on which two has better kick return metres by the way(or if Blake will work out either!), i was just clarifying that the stat didn’t correlate with the point he made.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Well said.
You often need to look at a couple of stats to paint a true picture of effectiveness.

You can't just look at 1 stat alone.
Yes I agree with this. Also the correct stats.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kiraz/Wilson would be my actual first experiments in the off-season to see how they go at FB with Blake Taffe as competition.
I like Burns and Critta at centres and Xerri to put pressure on them for a position.
Wingers Fox / Skelton with Wilson and Kiraz again as options too.

This makes a good headache for once for the leadership and Coaches to consider.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taffee returns the ball like Dylan Edwards...
Just puts the foot down from the moment he picks up the ball and charges at gaps the line...

If CC spends 3/4 of the season again wasting time finding a FB when Taaffe should be there from Round 1 - God help us
Reading what Gus has been saying/tweeting also by letting Averillo go and the fact we are left with no quality centres points to one thing a decision has been made to play Crichton in the centres.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reading what Gus has been saying/tweeting also by letting Averillo go and the fact we are left with no quality centres points to one thing a decision has been made to play Crichton in the centres.
I think Taaffe is more than capable of playing fullback and he’ll do a good job. Don’t forget Bennett had confidence in him putting him at fullback in a GF. Who are we to know better than Bennett

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He said on the podcast he will play anywhere he is asked…..but I imagine they will start him in the fullback position. Sounds like that is the plan to me. He just hasn’t been promised it full time if he is shit at it

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ultimately what we are looking at with being in Critta and Xerri, Sexy plus the utilities is serious competition for spots. Not something we have had for many a season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Taaffe is more than capable of playing fullback and he’ll do a good job. Don’t forget Bennett had confidence in him putting him at fullback in a GF. Who are we to know better than Bennett
Yep and Bennett played Corey Allan at fullback in origin

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Also of Taaffe can play fullback and in the halves, the guy can play centre!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, also I believe he didn't sign to play in reserve, some might say 14.
We have to wait and see !

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He said on the podcast he will play anywhere he is asked…..but I imagine they will start him in the fullback position. Sounds like that is the plan to me. He just hasn’t been promised it full time if he is shit at it
You are correct, we all know you need certain credentials to be a fullback.