Official Stephen Crichton signs with the Bulldogs 2024

Do you think Crighton will make a good fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It will probably work out something like:
* 2023: $11.0 Mil (min: $150k)
* 2024: $11.4 Mil (min: $155k)
* 2025: $11.8 Mil (min: $160k)
* 2026: $12.2 Mil (min: $165k)
* 2027: $12.6 Mil (min: $170k)
[Average: $11.8 Mil - but, bump up each year by $200k, if their negotiations get up.]

...with the $650k for 31-40 outside the main cap of 30, but car allowances and Dev/Vet allowances inside those main cap figures.
Let me get this right, you think the Salary Cap for 2023 will be $11m for the Top 30 + $650k for the Next 10 = $11.65m?
Since the Cap this year is $9.2m (after the 6% Covid reduction) that's a 27% increase. Ignoring the 6% Covid reduction it is still a 20% increase.
The simple maths I posted above says $11.94m, not a lot of difference there ($290k).

It is also worth keeping mind that the players took a 20% reduction in 2020 and a 6% reduction in 2021, both of which were unnecessary as the NRL still made a profit in those years. The RLPA wants those sacrifices recognised in the new EBA and are standing firm on their demands.

On the car allowance I don't believe that the RLPA will acquiesce on that as it is flexible, in that the allowance is $100k over 5 players and covers new and used cars, buy and lease, and is not necessarily for 12 months or aligns with the player's contract start and finish dates. Making it hard to include in a fixed term multi year contract under the Cap.

The Developed/Veteran allowance has always been added to the base Cap for very good reason, in that not every club qualifies every year. Not sure how that works if it is included in the base Cap and every Club gets the base.

Always a Bulldog

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Let me get this right...
Would be great.
...you think the Salary Cap for 2023 will be $11m for the Top 30
Um, yeah. Like I specifically stated with "assuming $11mil "cap". (I didn't think that was particularly cryptic or obscure, but there you go.)
Since the Cap this year is $9.2m (after the 6% Covid reduction) that's a 27% increase.
Nope. That's apples and oranges right there. There is really no need to torture the numbers here.
I have been explicit (and I thought, clear) with what is considered "The Cap". Let me spell it out.

The $650k for 31-40 (if it is accepted) is a replacement for the old "second tier" cap (before 2018), which in turn became the Development List (from 2018). This is not part of "The Cap", but Dev/Vet allowance and car allowance are.
YearBase CapDev / VetCarTotal "The Cap"+% over previous
2022$9.7 Mil ($9.188 Mil) $200k ($188k)$100k ($94k)$10.0 Mil ($9.4 Mil)
New Agreement
2023$10.4 Mil$500k$100k$11.0 Mil10%
2024$10.8 Mil$500k$100k$11.4 Mil3.64%
2025$11.2 Mil$500k$100k$11.8 Mil3.51%
2026$11.6 Mil$500k$100k$12.2 Mil3.39%
2027$12.0 Mil$500k$100k$12.6 Mil3.28%

No one knows the actual figures yet (yes, the RLPA has made demands). These are guesses based on the sparse reports of what might be happening. We will find out in due course. Sooner rather than later, hopefully.

It should also make it clear (again, hopefully) why simply chucking 20% onto everyone's salary for 2023 or even 2024 won't actually fly if you want to maintain any kind of roster balance (our constant achilles heal since Des & Co did their stuff).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Would be great.

Um, yeah. Like I specifically stated with "assuming $11mil "cap". (I didn't think that was particularly cryptic or obscure, but there you go.)

Nope. That's apples and oranges right there. There is really no need to torture the numbers here.
I have been explicit (and I thought, clear) with what is considered "The Cap". Let me spell it out.

The $650k for 31-40 (if it is accepted) is a replacement for the old "second tier" cap (before 2018), which in turn became the Development List (from 2018). This is not part of "The Cap", but Dev/Vet allowance and car allowance are.
YearBase CapDev / VetCarTotal "The Cap"+% over previous
2022$9.7 Mil ($9.188 Mil)$200k ($188k)$100k ($94k)$10.0 Mil ($9.4 Mil)
New Agreement
2023$10.4 Mil$500k$100k$11.0 Mil10%
2024$10.8 Mil$500k$100k$11.4 Mil3.64%
2025$11.2 Mil$500k$100k$11.8 Mil3.51%
2026$11.6 Mil$500k$100k$12.2 Mil3.39%
2027$12.0 Mil$500k$100k$12.6 Mil3.28%

No one knows the actual figures yet (yes, the RLPA has made demands). These are guesses based on the sparse reports of what might be happening. We will find out in due course. Sooner rather than later, hopefully.

It should also make it clear (again, hopefully) why simply chucking 20% onto everyone's salary for 2023 or even 2024 won't actually fly if you want to maintain any kind of roster balance (our constant achilles heal since Des & Co did their stuff).
The RLPA demands are well known and the NRL has been trying to get them to back down from their stance for almost 6 months. To get to a resolution the RLPA has stepped up it's media campaign, daily media releases, start a break away competition, Harry Grant, Daly Cherry-Evans and Kezie Apps speaking out,

Yesterday's media story;

The tension between the NRL and its players has reached boiling point with a number of high-profile stars taking the ARL Commission to town as the stalemate in pay talks continues.
In an explosive statement it was also revealed not a single ARL Commissioner has ever attended a meeting during lengthy pay talks.

I seriously doubt that RLPA is backing down anytime soon.

Always a Bulldog

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The RLPA demands are well known
Yes, so you keep saying. But I am not sure why. They're demands, they've been reported. If that's all that was required then we would be talking about what the actual cap is, because it had been announced.

I seriously doubt that RLPA is backing down anytime soon.
Possibly true. There could be a delayed start to the competition. There might be no competition at all, or a breakaway one. We will see.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If that were true, then why would I state the assumption: $11mil "cap"

Source? That's conjecture (which is fine, but if you shout more it will make it a fact).
It might turn out to be the case, but depending on how the CBA turns out, using $11Mil seems reasonable as a ballpark. If so, happy to adjust figures based on cap reality (when they finally announce it).

Yep. More than happy for you to make that argument. I disagree. I don't think he's an Elite Centre. Not in the top 5 Centres. Probably 6-8.

Probably why they're baulking on the re-sign.

Way ahead of you - see above.

If Gus & Ciraldo want Crichton on Elite Centre money, to possibly play fullback, then that's their call. I don't think he's either, but I ain't signing the cheques and ain't the expert anyways.

But if we decide to overstack some positions (Centre), it is going to mean less for (arguably more important) spine positions, like Fullback, Halfback, and Lock. Will they not also need +20% upgrades? After all, "The players know this, their agents know this and there is no escaping from it."

The Dogs have had a tendency to do that in the past (neglect the spine), and it ain't always worked out that well.
Game on!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@Tassie Devil what are your thoughts on a salary cap debate thread? A subsidiary to fight club of course......
Didn't know what you were talking about till I had a look through.

It's kicking off all over the place here these days, isn't it?

People should start respecting TKFC tbh as if more were taking out their frustrations there there'd be less rubbish elsewhere.

My thoughts on the salary cap debate thread? I'm all for it ....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't know what you were talking about till I had a look through.

It's kicking off all over the place here these days, isn't it?

People should start respecting TKFC tbh as if more were taking out their frustrations there there'd be less rubbish elsewhere.

My thoughts on the salary cap debate thread? I'm all for it ....
Totally agree mate.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Left of centre thought here.... BUT ... is it possible we are sending the medias attention to us looking at Crichton, when we've actually approached and made Latrell Mitchell an offer instead?

He's best mates with JAC (who could really sell this club to him), and can play across the entire backline anywhere we need help.

If we landed Mitchell and Moses (gee that sounds funny putting it like that), we'd have a seriously dangerous team.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Left of centre thought here.... BUT ... is it possible we are sending the medias attention to us looking at Crichton, when we've actually approached and made Latrell Mitchell an offer instead?

He's best mates with JAC (who could really sell this club to him), and can play across the entire backline anywhere we need help.

If we landed Mitchell and Moses (gee that sounds funny putting it like that), we'd have a seriously dangerous team.
Mitchell is about to announce an extension with bunnies and is quoted saying lock me up for life at the bunnies. No.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mitchell is about to announce an extension with bunnies and is quoted saying lock me up for life at the bunnies. No.
Yeah I'd assume he'd be a Bunny for life, as they have looked after him at the club, but they also have Cook, Burgess, Knight and Walker off contract as well. They released basically nobody and signed pretty much nobody, so salary cap might get pinched a bit.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On panthers page they are freaking out now allen has been released
If he were to join the dogs whether he sets the world on fire or just gets the job done seeing Penrith fans squeal is music to my ears.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I'd assume he'd be a Bunny for life, as they have looked after him at the club, but they also have Cook, Burgess, Knight and Walker off contract as well. They released basically nobody and signed pretty much nobody, so salary cap might get pinched a bit.
Meant to be announced latrell, cook, walker extend before Christmas.