State of Origin this year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm going to start out by saying that I haven't watched more than a few minutes of SOO in a long time. Quite possibly getting up to seven or eight years now. I saw too many series decided by the discretion of the referees and really lost interest.

But for those that still think highly of the spectacle, how are you thinking the high tackle crackdown and the 6 again rules are going to impact on the games?

I can't help but think that a lot of people that do bother to watch the series this year are going to be pissed off with what they see. I haven't heard from many people that think the 6 again rules are a good thing. I can't honestly say that I know of anyone that can understand why half the set restarts are given these days. So if people see referee bias deciding Origin games is it going to be a nail in the coffin for more fans on their ability to watch the game or will people that haven't yet switched off regard games decided by refereeing bias as a nail in the coffin.

I honestly think that SOO is a yardstick for how engaged fans are in the game. If the series this year gets lower than usual viewing numbers I'd hope that the NRL takes note that they're driving fans away.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I barely watch these days as well but I hope it's a complete debacle. I hope it's a blowout because two players from one team got sent off and five other players got sin binned.

If it happens on the biggest stage, there'll be more pressure on V'landys and co which will hopefully lead to him leaving Rugba League.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The NRL will have insisted that the whistle be put away for SOO, they can't have the spectacle ruined by the very same problems that they created for NRL games.

Go Dogs
Exactly. It's their golden goose.
Open slather with a token sin bin or two.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL will have insisted that the whistle be put away for SOO, they can't have the spectacle ruined by the very same problems that they created for NRL games.

Go Dogs
This is exactly what will happen!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Second thoughts:
The NRLol so dumb they will blow the pea out of the whistle and there'll be 2 NSW sendoffs, 4 NSW sin bins, 12 6agains for Qld.
Good for the game.

Fox Sports heavily defending Vlad and Cummins.

Ch9 heavily criticise Vlad.

Gus has a conniption and is barred from flying by his doctor and has to relinquish his Warriors job.

Decides to accept Bulldogs offer :grinning:

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Yeah I’m fascinated to see how they will handle this one. I’m assuming as a NSW fan some ridiculous unfair and inconsistent penalty that was never inforced the entire game apart for the last 30 seconds that allow QLD to somehow come back and take the miracle win for another year..

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I guess the thing about SOO that burns is why QLD and their legends have so much aura and respect in their state..Yet here we are so damm critical and are always looking for reasons why we lose so often. The honour of wearing the Sky Blue Jersey was higher than wearing the Australian one for Gallen and only his 2016 premiership win topped the 2014 series win he mentioned the other day. That is what we need to show and instill into our kids. Hating Queensland and their arrogance, hating their ongoing dismissive opinions on our state and people as no passion or pride.. We need to come forward and all club sides here South of the tweed and start the education and systematic hatred of the canetoads in the junior nursery so by the time they come to rep footy there is no way a GI would ever consider playing for QLD..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I guess the thing about SOO that burns is why QLD and their legends have so much aura and respect in their state..Yet here we are so damm critical and are always looking for reasons why we lose so often. The honour of wearing the Sky Blue Jersey was higher than wearing the Australian one for Gallen and only his 2016 premiership win topped the 2014 series win he mentioned the other day. That is what we need to show and instill into our kids. Hating Queensland and their arrogance, hating their ongoing dismissive opinions on our state and people as no passion or pride.. We need to come forward and all club sides here South of the tweed and start the education and systematic hatred of the canetoads in the junior nursery so by the time they come to rep footy there is no way a GI would ever consider playing for QLD..
NSW will probably never have the passion that Qlders have for SOO.

I come from NSW and now live in Qld and the thing that stands out is how Qlders are much more committed to the cause than I ever saw in NSW.

I guess that's where the difference is that the Qld players grow up with and have reinforced into their psyche.

The driving force is based on NSW taking Qld players pre SOO to play against their state of birth and Qld officials have that "injustice" and underdog fighting spirit to give them that edge in firing up against NSW.
NSW always that one step behind in the motivation of the players stakes and the Qld old boys arpund camp reinforcing that mantra of giving 100% for Qld against the privileged smarties ....Qld think Of NSW same as we think of the Rorters (At SOO time) Lol.

Just my thoughts :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
NSW will probably never have the passion that Qlders have for SOO.

I come from NSW and now live in Qld and the thing that stands out is how Qlders are much more committed to the cause than I ever saw in NSW.

I guess that's where the difference is that the Qld players grow up with and have reinforced into their psyche.

The driving force is based on NSW taking Qld players pre SOO to play against their state of birth and Qld officials have that "injustice" and underdog fighting spirit to give them that edge in firing up against NSW.
NSW always that one step behind in the motivation of the players stakes and the Qld old boys arpund camp reinforcing that mantra of giving 100% for Qld against the privileged smarties ....Qld think Of NSW same as we think of the Rorters (At SOO time) Lol.

Just my thoughts :grinning:
I moved to Brisbane eight years ago on the same day as a State of Origin Game. It was a bit confronting in just how big a deal they make of it here. Every ad I heard on the radio this morning on my way to the office had a "Queenslander!" theme, and its amazing how it gets wedged in. The state has even made maroon its official state colour FFS.

Here's a good example: This book is seriously available to borrow from my local library. (Having said that, my 3 year old wasn't interested, and preferred I read him a story about Bluey instead).

193792225_4045828262129767_2945309482304040082_n.jpg

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I moved to Brisbane eight years ago on the same day as a State of Origin Game. It was a bit confronting in just how big a deal they make of it here. Every ad I heard on the radio this morning on my way to the office had a "Queenslander!" theme, and its amazing how it gets wedged in. The state has even made maroon its official state colour FFS.

Here's a good example: This book is seriously available to borrow from my local library. (Having said that, my 3 year old wasn't interested, and preferred I read him a story about Bluey instead).

View attachment 24999
It's definately a thing :grinning: