State of Origin III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cameron Smith says New South Wales will be tougher to beat in the Origin decider without Paul Gllen

QUEENSLAND Origin captain Cameron Smith has warned his team that the loss of injured NSW counterpart Paul Gallen will make the Blues harder to beat in Wednesday's State of Origin decider.

Smith had nothing but praise for the inspirational Gallen on Monday and rated him a huge loss for NSW.

But he feared his forced withdrawal from game three at ANZ Stadium had created new threats to Queensland's seven-year series dominance.

He revealed he voiced his concerns to coach Mal Meninga as soon as Gallen pulled out on Friday with his foot injury, when Blues coach Laurie Daley countered by calling young forwards Aaron Woods and debutant Boyd Cordner into his team.

"If anything it's probably going to be even harder," said Smith.

"I think you see a lot of teams when they lose a senior player they share the workload and they know that they have to play even better to make sure that his loss isn't felt as much as everyone thinks."

Smith was not downplaying Gallen's contribution to his team but also believed the addition of Woods and Corner for a player battling injury would make NSW more mobile.

"There's no doubt he (Gallen) is a huge loss. He's their captain and he's a guy that it doesn't matter what situation their team is in, he puts his hand up to do plenty of work," Smith said.

"He finishes the State of Origin every time he plays with 20-plus carries, he's up around the 30-tackle mark.

"But we've had a bit of a chat about his withdrawal.

"We're not taking that lightly. We don't think they are an easier side to play against because Paul Gallen is out.

"If anything its probably made them a bit more mobile.

"We knew if Paul Gallen played he wasn't going to be 100 per cent fit, but now they've got Aaron Woods and Boyd Cordner. who are both 100 per cent fit, so they are going to be ready to play.

"They are both playing really good football, they are both in form for their respective clubs, so if I anything we need to be even more on our game now."

Meanwhile Smith didn't agree with his Melbourne club coach Craig Bellamy that the Origin series should be comprised of stand-alone games on weekends with the NRL put on hold.
The veteran hooker was concerned about player burnout if extra weeks were added to the season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...thout-paul-gllen/story-fni3fqyo-1226679602502

This article includes a preview with Andrew Ryan:

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Cannot wait! 18 rows back in Blatchys Blues this time around, the atmosphere will be electric.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Queensland were up in our faces and onto our passing game in game two, if they do it again we could try and get more kicks behind their line with a good chase, the kick will decide wednesday.

nasals

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a feeling that NSW will win this one. The ground at ANZ is always abit heavy and doesn't suit QLD.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Got a good feeling about tonight..might be optimism but I think NSW are gunna break the drought.

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
fafita best on tonight!! he should play around 50 mins with tamou and nsw will be rolling over the top of QLD

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Only worries about Woods, Fifita should be starting

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
As much as I want NSW to win...I also want them to get flogged so it spells the end of Pearce at Origin level..

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
woods wasnt confident in game 2, he needs to take control like he does for the tigers and put his hand up more.

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As much as I want NSW to win...I also want them to get flogged so it spells the end of Pearce at Origin level..
they wont be able to keep reynolds out next year, with more finals experience with souths this year he will be ready to dominate qld

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they wont be able to keep reynolds out next year, with more finals experience with souths this year he will be ready to dominate qld
That cat Pearce doesn't have 9 lives for no reason.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NSW should lose to be the end of Pearce...

May God help us all if NSW wins, Pearce will have a mortgage on the 7 Jersey and Farah will always be bragging that he was the Captain that broke the drought... And don't get me started on Daley...

silva

Utility
Reaction score
NSW should lose to be the end of Pearce...

May God help us all if NSW wins, Pearce will have a mortgage on the 7 Jersey and Farah will always be bragging that he was the Captain that broke the drought... And don't get me started on Daley...
It might be easier if you just went for QLD

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Cam Smith got injured, do you think NSW could sneak in a win?

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
Getting to that time of the day when work is just dragging on.......

Status
Not open for further replies.