State Of Origin 2017 - Are drastic changes needed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is the side last night could have easily won that game of football but they insist on giving a champion side cheap possession and like they said in the coverage qld is good enough without handing them chances. Jennings takes that opportunity with about 10 to go and we probably go ahead by 2 and it could've been a different story but instead qld get a 7 tackle set and score and finish us off. Some players definitely have to be moved on now though after the series or even for game 3. Is there even value of sticking with some experience when majority of that experience has been losing? It'd be good to see more new faces for game 3 at least there'd be something to look forward to when watching the game

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is the side last night could have easily won that game of football but they insist on giving a champion side cheap possession and like they said in the coverage qld is good enough without handing them chances. Jennings takes that opportunity with about 10 to go and we probably go ahead by 2 and it could've been a different story but instead qld get a 7 tackle set and score and finish us off. Some players definitely have to be moved on now though after the series or even for game 3. Is there even value of sticking with some experience when majority of that experience has been losing? It'd be good to see more new faces for game 3 at least there'd be something to look forward to when watching the game
Even if the blues scored and converted you know that the refs would have nsw pinned to their try line for the last 10 minutes like they did in game 2 in 2014.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The most important change required for nsw is to get rid of Bob Fulton. Maybe then players like Dylan Walker won't be anywhere near origin. And if Daley really meant the stupid things he's said like he would choose Farah from reserve grade he should be next.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bird, Gal and Farrah need the elbow. Too old and too greedy. Throw Tamou in ther as well, he does sweet fuck all in Origin. The Morris boys have had their run aswell.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't get the Moylan hype.
I liken it to Anasta, where he was hyped so much, so early that people feel the need to see something in him that isn't really there.
To me he plays soft, bitch ball. He can't get tough and if he didn't have Gould pumping up his tyres he'd be nothing.

To me he is a 'pretty boy'

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bird, Gal and Farrah need the elbow. Too old and too greedy. Throw Tamou in ther as well, he does sweet fuck all in Origin. The Morris boys have had their run aswell.
Josh I agree but Brett Morris still has a lot to offer.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd simply select players who are in form..regardless of age.. I appreciate incumbency..but if the incumbent is playing crap and there's another guy playing outstanding you pick them.. If the incumbent is going ok you stick with em.. The side would naturally evolve.. One thing you don't do though..which Daley is guilty of..is guarantee players positions before the season starts..

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd simply select players who are in form..regardless of age.. I appreciate incumbency..but if the incumbent is playing crap and there's another guy playing outstanding you pick them.. If the incumbent is going ok you stick with em.. The side would naturally evolve.. One thing you don't do though..which Daley is guilty of..is guarantee players positions before the season starts..

A few points on this topic:

1.Agree Mr 95%. How can you know if a player is in form or not if you pick them before a ball is even kicked? Even the best can have a rough patch and Origin is not the time to see if their form will come good. If the game is supposedly the best vs. the best then that should be on current performance.

2.Ideally as you say; look at incumbents but also at players coming through. Age is no barrier as Qld has proven time and time again. Assess form and if the incumbent is playing well select him. If not, pick an available player in that position who is playing well.

3.Origin occurs just before the halfway point in the season so it is not as if any coach who has a football brain cannot see if player X is performing at their best or player Y is better leading up to the first SOO game.
4.The coach who presumes that the same players will be in the same form the following year is most certainly not smart. If he has the preconceived idea that he knows exactly who he will pick and that player for example, gets injured a week before the team for game one is announced or he is suspended etc. he then has to formulate a sound plan B. In Daley's situation he couldn't. We saw that Pearce was the flavour of the month prior to his little indiscretion and when that meant his selection was in jeopardy Daley had no real clue as to who he would select to fill the halfback role.

5.Tactics used in a game should be to the strengths of your own players and to the weaknesses of your opponent.

6.He also stated that he did not want to throw young fellas into the cauldron at Suncorp but he had no choice but to. Consequently , Jack Bird who has been in good form for his club this year only got 26 minutes but he did make an impact in his time on the field. Why not use Maloney and Bird as the half five eighth combination for game 3?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get the Moylan hype.
I liken it to Anasta, where he was hyped so much, so early that people feel the need to see something in him that isn't really there.
To me he plays soft, bitch ball. He can't get tough and if he didn't have Gould pumping up his tyres he'd be nothing.
Bad Billy! Anasta! Was there EVER a more overrated player? Ever?
Moylan is a good player but at fb he was at sea in SOO - letting balls bounce, out of position in D - forget about it.
How could Daley ignore Tedesco for Moylan at fb?
Same with Ferguson - good player on his day, but outclassed in SOS - I don't get the Daley affair with Ferguson and Dugan tbh.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A few points on this topic:

1.Agree Mr 95%. How can you know if a player is in form or not if you pick them before a ball is even kicked? Even the best can have a rough patch and Origin is not the time to see if their form will come good. If the game is supposedly the best vs. the best then that should be on current performance.

2.Ideally as you say; look at incumbents but also at players coming through. Age is no barrier as Qld has proven time and time again. Assess form and if the incumbent is playing well select him. If not, pick an available player in that position who is playing well.

3.Origin occurs just before the halfway point in the season so it is not as if any coach who has a football brain cannot see if player X is performing at their best or player Y is better leading up to the first SOO game.
4.The coach who presumes that the same players will be in the same form the following year is most certainly not smart. If he has the preconceived idea that he knows exactly who he will pick and that player for example, gets injured a week before the team for game one is announced or he is suspended etc. he then has to formulate a sound plan B. In Daley's situation he couldn't. We saw that Pearce was the flavour of the month prior to his little indiscretion and when that meant his selection was in jeopardy Daley had no real clue as to who he would select to fill the halfback role.

5.Tactics used in a game should be to the strengths of your own players and to the weaknesses of your opponent.

6.He also stated that he did not want to throw young fellas into the cauldron at Suncorp but he had no choice but to. Consequently , Jack Bird who has been in good form for his club this year only got 26 minutes but he did make an impact in his time on the field. Why not use Maloney and Bird as the half five eighth combination for game 3?
It's just so obvious Dogluva what the best thing to do is..

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Moylan is a good player but at fb he was at sea in SOO - letting balls bounce, out of position in D - forget about it.
Same with Ferguson - good player on his day, but outclassed in SOS - I don't get the Daley affair with Ferguson and Dugan tbh.
I don't think many get anything that Daley does. I liked him as a player and he had great ability but as a coach leaves an awful lot to be desired. Blake Ferguson was like the invisible man last night. missed as many tackles as he made ( 2) , made 1 error and ran a piddling 42 metres in a game that is supposed to be the pinnacle of the footy season.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tedesco is an infinitely better player than Moylan.
For mine, rep sides should consist of the best players for each position, if that means another good player misses out, then so be it. Picking the players you want, then playing them out of position just to fit them in is flawed logic.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Only players that should keep their spot are

Klemmer
Jackson
Maloney
Frizell
Jack Bird

The rest plus management can all get fucked

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think many get anything that Daley does. I liked him as a player and he had great ability but as a coach leaves an awful lot to be desired. Blake Ferguson was like the invisible man last night. missed as many tackles as he made ( 2) , made 1 error and ran a piddling 42 metres in a game that is supposed to be the pinnacle of the footy season.
Yes mate, totally - have just re-read the thread title = drastic changes?

YES, a new SOO coach!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Only players that should keep their spot are

Klemmer
Jackson
Maloney
Frizell
Jack Bird

The rest plus management can all get fucked
Davey done nothing lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
1. Tedesco
2. Roberts
3. Dugan
4. Bird
5. Addo-Carr

Get some bloody pace in the backline already.

Status
Not open for further replies.