News Stand up’: Dogs’ big issue ‘reared its head again’ — and Barrett has run out of patience

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
As long as we have no halfback and no hooker we will struggle. The only way out is to fix the spine. No amount of coaching will help if we don’t have a halfback or hooker, thankfully one of these positions will be filled next year.
Is that suddenly going to make our double block play effective? LOL.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as we have no halfback and no hooker we will struggle. The only way out is to fix the spine. No amount of coaching will help if we don’t have a halfback or hooker, thankfully one of these positions will be filled next year.
I think our Hooker is good enough. Not a top line Hooker but good enough to feed our front row and go forward. Our issue is the 7, has been forever and we havnt done shit about it! We have so far tried 3 diff players in the 7 and not one has stood up. You watch other teams and there second division 7 are better then our first choice. It’s sad

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think our Hooker is good enough. Not a top line Hooker but good enough to feed our front row and go forward. Our issue is the 7, has been forever and we havnt done shit about it! We have so far tried 3 diff players in the 7 and not one has stood up. You watch other teams and there second division 7 are better then our first choice. It’s sad
I'd say our hooker is the worst in the NRL, slow, sloppy passes that are rarely on the mark.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He won't have a choice because we will be dead last and our fans won't cop that. Look at how we played yesterday, literally ran a double block play EVERY tackle in the red zone. I thought we were just playing through the motions with it being a trial but if we weren't and that's actually how we're going to approach games this season then that's on the coach and it doesn't matter who the halfback, 5/8 or fullback is.
Bro I still hope avo comes good at HB, but the coach can only do so much. You give your players the set plays to run, but you can’t give them the instinct to play what’s in front of them or into what opens up as a result of the set play.
It’s not under 12s where you just run a play and run the lines, especially in the modern league. You run the play and you assess the openings that occur as a result of the defensive decisions that are forced by the play, and react according to those to make your next split second decision. Avos decision making has proven to be nervous and slow. If he can just give Burton and Dufty early ball and not have to handle that kind of decision making in attack on the goal line, it may have a chance of working.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bro I still hope avo comes good at HB, but the coach can only do so much. You give your players the set plays to run, but you can’t give them the instinct to play what’s in front of them or into what opens up as a result of the set play.
It’s not under 12s where you just run a play and run the lines, especially in the modern league. You run the play and you assess the openings that occur as a result of the defensive decisions that are forced by the play, and react according to those to make your next split second decision. Avos decision making has proven to be nervous and slow. If he can just give Burton and Dufty early ball and not have to handle that kind of decision making in attack on the goal line, it may have a chance of working.
It was a TRIAL. We were flat, had zero players in motion and ran the same block play over and over, it didn't matter who the halves were because it was the same options take over and over again.

Like I've said you either believe we played though the motions because it was a trial or this is actually how we're going to approach games during the season.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a TRIAL. We were flat, had zero players in motion and ran the same block play over and over, it didn't matter who the halves were because it was the same options take over and over again.

Like I've said you either believe we played though the motions because it was a trial or this is actually how we're going to approach games during the season.
Was it just the same plays over and over? Because when Dufty got the ball off one of those basic ass plays he threw a cutout ball for a try. Avo wouldn’t have done that. He sadly doesn’t have the instinct.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When we have a decent spine we can try something other than one out footy and block plays.
Then why buy TPJ and then follow it up with the Kikau signing?? It doesn't make sense, decisions are being made that lead us to believe certain things.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
dufty is not defensively capable to play 6 in the front line with the edge defenders running at him. Leave at fullback, we just need to solve the 7, lets wait until Burton plays on Monday night.
Is Burton confirmed to play next trial match? I don’t know what the nrl covid protocol is

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Then why buy TPJ and then follow it up with the Kikau signing?? It doesn't make sense, decisions are being made that lead us to believe certain things.
I agree they are both questionable signings given our situation.

Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan, Averillo and Wakeham are not First Grade level footballers.

Whilst still not ideal.

JMK is our best option at 7
Cook showed enough last night to show he is a genuine 9.
BBO can cover 7 & 9

6. Burton
7. JMK
9. Cook
14. BBO

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would switch Pengai Jr to the right edge
I think Hetherington would go ok with Naden, Burton and Ado-Carr
We will become too ‘predictable’ setting up on the right for a left side shift.
Dufty out the back with Pengai Jr as either a decoy or running at edge halves etc could cause havoc . If we have Avirello on the right with Schoupp and Pengai jr defences will think twice plus a good decoy from Pengai on occasions will open space for Dufty

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK at 7 is not the worst idea tbh. He has some things going for him like good defender and pace. His decision making is questionable though and assuming he has only trained at 9 all preseason, Baz wouldn't make such a big change. One thing other teams have a knack of that we don't really have, is the ability to throw a bunch of different players,in the 6,7 and 9 and they will do a decent job. I guess we have Bbo that can play 9 and 6/7, but we haven't used anyone else in both roles recently.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Was it just the same plays over and over? Because when Dufty got the ball off one of those basic ass plays he threw a cutout ball for a try. Avo wouldn’t have done that. He sadly doesn’t have the instinct.
That was just basic ball movement off a quick play the ball. The only difference was we hit Jake at first receiver instead of a forward like we did most the game, Jake hit Dufty (Ava didn't even time his run and was almost sprinting on the spot after the pass lol) and Dufty took a couple of steps and hit Okunbor. The best bit of play was probably Schoupp running a good decoy and Dufty timing the pass.

It was all basic, sideways play from us all game. We basically played towards the corner post, even when TPJ was getting the ball he was going sideways and just flicking the ball out carelessly. This has lead me to believe we were just playing through the motions, if not then all the pressure is on Baz because because these aren't exactly things you wouldn't notice during training and he's the one that made certain decisions around the playstyle and selection.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
JMK not a good enough dummy half due to his slow pass and lack of vision yet he is suggested as a 7 over BBO or Wakeham?

Its either BBO or Wakeham to surely get decent minutes there with Burton and re-assess after that.

There's too many short order hamburger flippers and no chef. Get rid of at least 2 between of Flanno, BBO, Wakeham or Avo out of FG and stick with the 2 best suiting Burton and give them extreme, intensive coaching :grinning:

Just crazy this is still a problem that Avo hasn't stepped up and there's 3 weeks till 2022 season kick off to find a half decent 7 out of all of them.