News St Merge?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How cynical is that proposal

Teams like Western Suburbs, Illawarra and North Sydney for that matter, have been absolutely shafted in my opinion.

Happy to take their juniors and financial stability, however, treated like inferior partners.

The ONLY thing the Dragons / Steelers merger really had going for it was they at least play in the same colours!!

How would you feel if you were a Magpies fan!!
That's the reality of the mergers, they'll never be an equal partnership and one club gains much more while the other loses out. Must really hurt Wests fans as Balmain were shite at the time and the Wests Tigers are still shite.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm so glad we never ha to merge.

In saying that, I feel like St George seem to go under the radar as far as not being overly competitive almost since their last premiership, and on top of that they make a lot of poor decisions as a club.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

In saying that, I feel like St George seem to go under the radar as far as not being overly competitive almost since their last premiership, and on top of that they make a lot of poor decisions as a club.
Yeah with the juniors players they've had at their disposal and you'd expect a large % of those players wanting to stay down at the South Coast rather than leaving for elsewhere, I find it hard to understand why they seem to keep losing young players, continually struggle with the salary cap with not many big signings from other clubs (only Hunt really) and haven't managed to build a Panthers like junior team. As you say they just seem to be a poorly run club.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Remember there was a rumour we were going to merge with the tigpies and were going to be the "Western Bulldogs"?

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Remember there was a rumour we were going to merge with the tigpies and were going to be the "Western Bulldogs"?
I vaguely remember, and thank goodness it didn't happen! it's also interesting because that was around the same time Footscray became the Western Bulldogs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking to a couple of Steelers heavyweights they are almightily pissed off. If the Taj Mahal dwellers continue on with this the shit will hit the fan. They are talking about taking the money to rebuild WIN Stadium and then telling them they aren't welcome anymore.

Always a Bulldog

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It wasn't the Tigpies it was the Western suburbs Magpies before they merged with the Balmain Tigers. It was more than a rumour, our club actually volunteered to merge with the Magpies to grow our nursary but the Maggies borked at the idea knowing that if the merger went ahead the Bulldog brand would swallow up all traces of their magpie existence. Balmain on the other hand paniced thinking they didn't have enough points to stand alone so they hesitantly merged with Wests. Which was funny because at the end of the day when the points system was finalized they the Tigers could have remained a stand alone club. We were never troubled with a forced merger.

P.S thank God we came to our senses and returned to being the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs because growing up in the area I could never get use to my Dogs being called the Sydney Bulldogs. It just didn't feel right to me.

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure you can. If it's an extra hard one, you cover it in sugar, shape it into a chocolate bar, put it in a wrapper, hand it to a St George fan then watch and wait.
I'll have what he's having.....

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wests had the opportunity to merge with us and their board went with Balmain on the basis it would be a more equal partnership.

They were right because we would have swallowed them whole.

it would have been nice to have that Macarther area feeding us juniors plus we also have a massive fan base in that area.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mergers work if the teams are geographically close so all the training facilities and core supporter bases are in the region.

But the most important ingredient to a merger is if that merged club ends up playing in a new competition.

For example, all the old soccer clubs that merged in lower grades and then got promoted to higher grades or top flights.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wests had the opportunity to merge with us and their board went with Balmain on the basis it would be a more equal partnership.

They were right because we would have swallowed them whole.

it would have been nice to have that Macarther area feeding us juniors plus we also have a massive fan base in that area.
We didn’t want the merger either

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a made up smokescreen to divert attention of the Amone saga

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah that was around 98 roughly wasnt it?
Wests needed money, we didn’t
Yeah that was around 98 roughly wasnt it?
Wests needed money, we didn’t
I actually heard that from Lynne Anderson herself. Apparently the plan was to the tigers were going to be allowed to go broke and the the Bulldogs would take them over.
What struck me was she seemed totally convinced it was going to happen, so there was obviously a lot more going on than what I was privy to. She certainly didn't see it as a merger.
I am having trouble remembering when this was but must have been after 1998.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby league is built on tribalism and tradition,
Southern dragons? Southern what?
They aren’t as south as Canberra or Melb.
The only change I will say yes to is changing their name from:
St George Illawarra Dragons.

to;

St George to Illawarra Dragons.

If anything, they just move full time to the Hong and be Illawarra or south coast dragons but that would make them a plastic club. Not fully plastic like Titans but like a girl who went too far at the surgery.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This story reminds me so much of when Manly demerged with North Sydney. These merged teams always had one side that thought they were better than the team they merged with. Then Manly squashed the meeger

I remember when it looked like the Bulldogs might merge with the Western Suburbs Magpies. The Bulldogs said they might agree to the Merger, but wanted 51% of the power of the merger but Wests said no they wanted 50/50. I think Wests were not at the time strong enough to expect any club to agree to that. Thank goodness we didn’t agree to it as this B.S could’ve come back to bite us too.

Poor Illawarra, they look like they will be on the losing end of this merger, at some stage.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's just a way to test the water, and see what reaction they get to a name change. It won't happen.

I still can't work out how clubs like St George and Steelers can merge when there is a team, the Sharks, in between.
Same for Wests and Balmain, with the Dogs in between. It's a bit like Canterbury Council merging with Hornsby Council.