Opinion SOS Shane Flanagan

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s fair mate. I’d say the enticement would be most assistants want to be a head coach - especially if you’ve had a taste of it as Cam has.

One thing we will have to be careful of is sacking Baz anytime soon. Coaches would be wary that Pay was punted (effectively) and if Baz is punted too they’d legit ask ‘how long would I have before copping the same?’

That’s a recruitment challenge right there.
Gus is a massive factor with a new coach too.

Depending on the type of coach Gould could be seen as help or a hindrance. The more experienced the coach the less I think they’d want Gus looking over their shoulder. It’s another thing working against Flanagan as they would both want to be calling the shots.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gus is a massive factor with a new coach too.

Depending on the type of coach Gould could be seen as help or a hindrance. The more experienced the coach the less I think they’d want Gus looking over their shoulder. It’s another thing working against Flanagan as they would both want to be calling the shots.
Agree. Gus and Flanagan or Madge would be a powder keg. Forget it.

grunta

= dOgGyStYlE =
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Shane is that you’re locking yourself into having Kyle as halfback. Maybe his old man knows how to get the best out of him but if he doesn’t we are in a bigger mess than we are now. I’d rather avoid the baggage.
How long would gus put up with Kyle under performing? Also I don't think Shane has the luxury of sitting back week after week watching his son play like a rudderless boat... there would a few clauses in his contact

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How long would gus put up with Kyle under performing? Also I don't think Shane has the luxury of sitting back week after week watching his son play like a rudderless boat... there would a few clauses in his contact
Is Flanagan worth all that hassle of having all these issues before he’s even walked in the door?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s fair mate. I’d say the enticement would be most assistants want to be a head coach - especially if you’ve had a taste of it as Cam has.

One thing we will have to be careful of is sacking Baz anytime soon. Coaches would be wary that Pay was punted (effectively) and if Baz is punted too they’d legit ask ‘how long would I have before copping the same?’

That’s a recruitment challenge right there.
Yeah of course, although they don’t all jump
In head first, Fitzy is a good example. Cam takes me as the type of guy who would think things through carefully as Fitzy done.

Totally agree with sacking another coach midway through his contract would give plenty reservations about coming on board.

Today was terrible.. not terrible enough to give the gig to Flange Snr for mine.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah of course, although they don’t all jump
In head first, Fitzy is a good example. Cam takes me as the type of guy who would think things through carefully as Fitzy done.

Totally agree with sacking another coach midway through his contract would give plenty reservations about coming on board.

Today was terrible.. not terrible enough to give the gig to Flange Snr for mine.
Barrett should be sacked tonight it’s that bad bro…

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Gus and Flanagan or Madge would be a powder keg. Forget it.
Emotions running high and a reality check playing a top 4 contender for the first time this season.
Not out of the question.
On the contrary Gus & Flanagan Sr are quite close friends,neighbours in the shire and ‘catch up’ often. Clear parameters would be established.
Madge walked away from his Belmore opportunity.
Anyway Baz won’t be sacked….in the immediate future. There’s also the possibility of caretaker:-D Furner
There is another candidate.