Sonny Bill Williams’ Bulldogs exit: Khoder Nasser reveals why NRL star defected

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasser does not deal with banks and opposes home loans with interest, as dictated by his Muslim faith

Fucking what?? c*** making this up on the spot
Yes got 5 houses all paid with money from uncles aunts cousins,and a lot brown paper bags,in other words he’s living in fantasy land.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone got the full article?
Thank you
Sonny Bill Williams’ Bulldogs exit: Khoder Nasser reveals why NRL star defected

Jamie Pandaram, The Daily Telegraph

September 3, 2020 5:45pm

Subscriber only

“F--- the salary cap!” Khoder Nasser growled at Bulldogs powerbroker Arthur Coorey.

With this, the wheels were in motion for the most controversial defection in NRL history.

Sonny Bill Williams had purchased a five-bedroom house in Caringbah, for $1.275 million in 2005. With a high interest rate, he was forking out $90,000 a year in interest alone.

Nasser became Williams’ advisor only after he had signed a five-year contract extension with the Bulldogs in 2007, with the $400,000-a-year deal to run from 2008-12.

Nasser does not deal with banks and opposes home loans with interest, as dictated by his Muslim faith.

The truth behind Sonny Bill Williams' Bulldogs exit is finally revealed.

The enigmatic figure had five close friends and family in a circle of trust, with all of them pooling money together and loaning each other cash as needed.

One was his client Anthony Mundine, who earned $6 million in 2006 from his record-breaking fight against Danny Green.

Nasser had held two meetings early in 2008 with Coorey and Bulldogs legend George Peponis at Mundine’s Boxa Bar in Hurstville regarding Williams, who as the highest profile player in the NRL was frustrated by the deal orchestrated by his previous managers, brothers Chris and Gavin Orr, despite having signed it months earlier.

Sonny Bill Williams at Canterbury training in 2006.

The $90,000 interest was now at the heart of the grievance.

And so here were Nasser and Coorey exchanging frank words, flanked by Peponis, Mundine, fellow sports star Solomon Haumono, the Bulldogs’ new chief executive Todd Greenberg, and Canterbury Leagues club boss John Ballesty at Le Sands Restaurant in Brighton-Le-Sands.

“Pay him his deal up front,” Nasser said. “That way he doesn’t have to pay interest, he can look after himself and his family.”

Coorey and Nasser could talk more bluntly than others at the table. In 1957, when Nasser’s grandfather migrated from Lebanon, he lived in the same Campsie house as Coorey’s father. The pair had history that also allowed them to argue without holding grudges.

But right now, there was no budging on the subject of Williams.

Just six years after the Bulldogs had been fined $500,000 and stripped of all 37 premiership points for salary cap breaches, Coorey made it clear they could not make any moves in breach of the salary cap.

“F--- the salary cap,” Nasser replied, exasperated that after paying tax and interest alone, one of the most marketable athletes in the country was no better off than a miner earning $140,000 a year.

The Bulldogs had promised in the previous meetings that a third-party deal would be arranged to alleviate the problem with Williams’ hefty interest rate.

Three weeks went by, then four, then five.

Had the deal come through to allow Williams to pay off his mortgage, he would have remained at Canterbury.

The Caringbah that sparked the unrest.

“Then my phone rang,” Nasser recalls. “The guy said he was Tana Umaga, he was the coach of Toulon and he wanted Sonny to play rugby there. I’d never heard of the guy to be honest, I thought it was one of the boys playing a prank, so I told him I’d call him back in five minutes.

“I rang Sonny and asked, have you heard of a guy named Tana Umaga? I’ll never forget his response: ‘That’s an All Black legend’.”

It all became real.

The seventh week was the meeting at Le Sands.

Still no third-party deal.

But plane tickets had arrived from Toulon, along with a two-year contract offer worth around $1.2 million.

The clandestine plan was hatched to send Williams away on a flight on Saturday, July 26, two days before the Bulldogs were due to play St George Illawarra.

Antony Mundine loaned Sonny Bill Williams a huge sum in 2008. Picture: Matt Roberts/Getty

Just 48 hours prior, Williams and Greenberg had a one-on-one conversation about his future at the Bulldogs, as speculation swirled that the superstar would walk out on the club.

The morning of the infamous flight, Nasser and Coorey met at The Langham in Miller’s Point, then known as The Observatory Hotel.

Overlooking the sunlit harbour, Coorey told Nasser: “You know, the contract is airtight”.

Nasser replied: “I know”.

He left, holding on to the biggest secret in Australian sport, and began the drive up the freeway to Newcastle, where Mundine would be fighting the following Wednesday night, against an opponent whose name, Crazy Kim, was apt for the time.

But Mundine wasn’t in Newcastle. He was helping Williams load his suitcase into a car.

“Sonny is a very grounded fella, but he was adamant about what he was doing, and he never wavered,” Mundine said.

“He followed what was in his heart. A lot of people would rather just be comfortable, not go outside the realm, but what happened with the Dogs and the way it happened, from my perspective he just wanted to get away from the Australian public eye and showcase his talents.”

Mundine drove Williams to the airport, where they were met by Nasser’s brother Ahmed, who would fly with Williams to Toulon.

Greenberg, who’d only been at Belmore for six months, arriving after Williams had signed his deal, was stunned to receive a call from radio host Ray Hadley on that Saturday afternoon, asking if Williams was boarding a flight to France.

Hadley had been tipped off by a customs officer at Sydney Airport, who had been told by Williams he expected be out of Australia for “eight months”.

Sonny Bill Williams signed a $1.2m deal with Toulon. Johnny Wilkinson (R).

Greenberg rang Nasser to ask if this was true.

“Yep,” Nasser replied. “Sonny’s sick of this, he’s going”.

Greenberg told colleagues that day he knew Williams was not going to return to the club.

His mission was to recoup as much money from the player as possible.

Williams arrived for his first day of training at Toulon with helicopters hovering above the ground and men throwing subpoena papers at him over the fence.

The Bulldogs and the NRL had launched legal action to prevent him playing for any team, and the NSW Supreme Court issued an injunction which, had Williams ignored and played in a looming trial match, could have seen him face jail time back in Sydney.

Williams sat out the match.

The circus was in overdrive.

The Toulon move launched his rugby career. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty

Labor Party powerbroker Graham Richardson, watching from a distance, had seen enough.

He called Nasser, who he’d known for years, and told him firmly: “The world doesn’t work like this.”

Nasser’s hard edge softened. He agreed to allow Richardson to act as an intermediary and broker a deal with Greenberg and Peponis.

In the end, the figure was $750,000 to be paid by Williams to the Bulldogs in order to be free.

Trouble was, he had nowhere near that kind of money in his bank account, nor was he going to be taking out another loan charging interest.

In stepped Mundine, transferring the entire amount to Williams.

“I knew I was going to get it back,” Mundine said.

“There was an enormous amount of trust, I know Sonny is a very good guy, the honesty he has.

“Lucky I had the money, it didn’t take long before I got it back because he was getting paid well.

“He’d do the same for me if the shoe was on the other foot, that’s how I looked at it.

“At the end of the day, what’s money? Money doesn’t make you happy. If you can help someone who is as close as Sonny is to me, I’ll do it, I’d give the shirt off my back to a stranger if I had to. It’s about humanity.”

RETURN TO THE ROOSTERS

As part of the release, Williams also could not play for a rival NRL club for the full term of his deal unless the Bulldogs were paid an additional $400,000 per season by the new club.

That clause expired in 2013 and Williams returned to the Roosters, having made a handshake agreement with boss Nick Politis prior to his departure.

“We connected through Khoder, it was a shame what happened with the Bulldogs but I told him, ‘If one day you want to come back to rugby league we’d love to have you’,” Politis said.

Williams defied the odds, joining the All Blacks to win the 2011 Rugby World Cup, then winning a Super Rugby title with the Chiefs in 2012, before returning to the NRL in 2013.

Upon his return, Greenberg, who was then the NRL’s general manager of football, set up a coffee meeting to clear the air.

“He came back at the same time as Trent [Robinson], who is a great guy and great coach, and bringing Sonny back brought in that aura,’ Politis said.

“A lot of players look up to him, he sets such a high standard of professionalism at training, and when he turns up, he turns up to work, not to muck around or carry on like some players do.

“That professionalism flowed on to a lot of people in the club.”

Williams led the Roosters to the NRL premiership in his first season back in league since his 2008 walkout.

Mission accomplished, he’d return to rugby in 2015, winning a second successive World Cup before heading to the Rio Olympics for the Kiwi Sevens rugby team. An Achilles injury in the first match ruled him out for a year, before Williams returned to campaign for a third straight World Cup trophy last year, only to fall short as the All Blacks were defeated by England in the semi-final.

Then came the $10 million, two-year offer from Toronto Wolfpack that Williams couldn’t ignore.

Living in Manchester, Williams made the 40-minute drive to St Helens on February 22, to watch his old Roosters teammates defeat the hosts in the World Club Challenge, by which time the United Kingdom had three confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Williams caught up with Greenberg, Politis, and chatted to his old coach.

“There was a lot of doubt overseas over whether the [Super League] competition was going to start and whether Toronto would stay in the comp, Trent mentioned that to him back in February when we were over there, he came to our game when we played St Helen’s in the World Club Challenge final,” Politis said.

Toronto Wolfpack’s withdrawal from the Super League the door for his return. Picture: Paul Ellis/AFP

Indeed, three weeks later the tournament was postponed.

Then the Wolfpack withdrew from the season on July 20 citing “financial challenges”.

Williams was holidaying with his family in Spain when he received the call from Robinson asking him to return for the end of the season, amid a horror injury toll within the Roosters ranks.

He’d already booked tickets for France, Bosnia, Turkey, Greece and Italy.

Instead, the 35-year-old chose to return to the NRL, enduring a mandatory two weeks of quarantine at a Sydney hotel and regular Zoom calls with Roosters players and coaches to learn plays.

“Everything he does, he looks at it as a challenge,” Politis said.

Money wasn’t discussed until Williams had returned to the country.

Such was the trust between Politis and Nasser, when the Roosters owner handed him Williams’ contract over lunch, Nasser put it in his pocket without looking at the promised amount on the letter, $150,000.

“He didn’t come back for the money,” Politis said. “Robbo threw a challenge at him.

“And when the opportunity came, he took it on as a challenge, he didn’t think ‘I’m going to get paid’, because what we’re paying him is nothing compared to what he was earning.

“He thought, what a great challenge, to come over and play for the Roosters after winning a couple of premierships, it would be great to come over and see if we can do it again, that’s his personality.”

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Seriously... fuck off with these threads... c*** is not a bulldog.. dead set fuckwit
I agree.

Nothing against OP bit can't mods just make a thread for that piece of shit in the nrlol general section?

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why I hate the piece of shit more he went to my other favourite teams in the Crusaders and All Blacks.

c*** stalks me lol
Nasheed hates him more. Because as a Souffs supporter, he went to the Rorters....

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
$1.2 mill minus 750k payed back to the dogs is $450k?

Going by that he would be worse off and still not able to pay off his house?

Something still doesn't add up.

Also nassar should be banned from nrl for intentionally and directly influencing a player to break a legally binding contract (not to mention his blatant disrespect for the salary cap), causing financial pain to the club and the nrl as well as bringing the game in to disrepute.

Managers will very quickly learn if a few are made example of.
no he had a coffee with the Greenberg to clean the air

it probably was them laughing about the situation and Greenberg telling them they did the right thing

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes a great challenge counting those extra $$$$$$

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Also nassar should be banned from nrl for intentionally and directly influencing a player to break a legally binding contract (not to mention his blatant disrespect for the salary cap), causing financial pain to the club and the nrl as well as bringing the game in to disrepute.

He boxed on a few of Mundines fight cards at a time Mundine was losing interest fast from the Aussie public. Sonny dramatically increased the popularity and revenue through pay per view. That was part of the way he paid back the $750k

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Khoder nasser,hopefully after this year we won’t hear from this bloke again,

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Usually I dont care about these stories, and I still dont, but man just shut the fuck up already lol.

Choc

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know I'm going to be unpopular to some on here for saying this, but I actually think this article vindicates the Bulldogs first and foremost. I know some people see any mention of SBW and get red in the face, but sometimes you just have to step back a bit and look at the wider situation.

Fact: SBW is a freak footballer, once in a generation, and its been proven because he has earned far more than $400k a season.
Fact: Operatives behind the scenes routinely expect special players to get special treatment without regard to the salary cap (which goes all the more to prove that Roosters and some others are absolutely NOT following the rules).

The real crime here is the way the NRL operates the salary cap. It is becoming clearer and clearer as time goes on that the Dogs have gone above and beyond not to be the bad guys after the twin messes of 2002 salary cap and 2004 coffs. There is nothing wrong with that policy, per se, but it needed to be accompanied with other policies that helped balance the need to keep our noses clean.

Personally I can't blame SBW. It seems as though the Orrs didn't do the best by their client, they didn't advise him well. Our club was going to be major benefactors of that contract, it was unders, but the Bulldogs are vindicated because it was unders because we were following the rules. What should have happened, and should be happening now, is a better cap system that has built in less motivation to cheat and more motivation to keep the best players through providing easy options for clubs to pay a fair market rate for those freak players who could easily land multi-million dollar contracts playing Rugby overseas. This would also be to the NRL's benefit.

Interesting to see Graham Richardson's influence...
The club offered Sonny a 3 year deal at the time for 400k. The orrs came back with a counter offer of 5 years at 400k. They wanted security as he was very injury prone at the time.
The dogs jumped at the chance to sign Sonny, knowing full well he would be worth more than that as years went byeNot the dogs fault at all. They also released players like anasta and omeley etc around the 2008 era so they could accommodate Williams.
6 months into a 5 year deal the contract wasn’t good enough. The reason why was because sonny had teamed up with nasser. So for the next 5 years nasser would get nothing for being sonny’s manager. That’s why he wanted to renegotiate and got into sonnys ear. Even if it was for $1 more nasser would then be entitled to his percentage.
Sonny didn’t even live in the Caringbah house. His family members stayed there.
Tallong Place Caringbah

this was all about money. If he leaves everyone gets paid, nasser, sonny and Mundine.
Could have been handled better but no one put a gun to his head and said you must sign this contract.
It’s a shame because he would have been the best bulldogs player and New Zealand player the game has ever seen if he stayed.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The club offered Sonny a 3 year deal at the time for 400k. The orrs came back with a counter offer of 5 years at 400k. They wanted security as he was very injury prone at the time.
The dogs jumped at the chance to sign Sonny, knowing full well he would be worth more than that as years went byeNot the dogs fault at all. They also released players like anasta and omeley etc around the 2008 era so they could accommodate Williams.
6 months into a 5 year deal the contract wasn’t good enough. The reason why was because sonny had teamed up with nasser. So for the next 5 years nasser would get nothing for being sonny’s manager. That’s why he wanted to renegotiate and got into sonnys ear. Even if it was for $1 more nasser would then be entitled to his percentage.
Sonny didn’t even live in the Caringbah house. His family members stayed there.
Tallong Place Caringbah

this was all about money. If he leaves everyone gets paid, nasser, sonny and Mundine.
Could have been handled better but no one put a gun to his head and said you must sign this contract.
It’s a shame because he would have been the best bulldogs player and New Zealand player the game has ever seen if he stayed.
Pretty much all in line with what I knew about the issue at the time. Only additional part I was told was that the club could have upgraded him if they wanted too. We had already lost Omeilly Mason Anasta Asotasi. Unless there were a heap of substandard players on overs there was cap space available. Starting to stir up some bad memories now talking about this again. And I agree he was the best young prospect to ever come out of NZ at the time.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s no way this story is true lol.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Forget being muslim... Sonny loves money hence he worships satan end of story!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They like to throw it in our face because they know any talk of SBW ruffles our feathers.

"Hey Bulldogs fans, remember Sonny Bill and what he did, well we will remind you while also praising him for it and what an admirable guy he is and a class sportsman. You're welcome, love from the Main Stream Media"
James Hooper, the biggest SBW cock gobbler going around and the journo with the least amount of credibility in the game need I say more? I swear the moot is on uncle Nicks brown paper bag payroll. All you ever hear from him is Roosters dribble, he frequently has to wipe uncle Nicks jizz from his gob whilst on air!

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can tell you 100 % this is true. He started pretty much with the Cafe in potts Point where he made good money. This was bought but family all putting in. He hates suits, banks and the way of Western society. It's the norm for some people of Islamic faith not to borrow money. If you don't have, good on you and your pretty lucky to avoid a 30 year debt.
Nasser does not deal with banks and opposes home loans with interest, as dictated by his Muslim faith

Fucking what?? c*** making this up on the spot

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Nasser was a grub.good on our admin for sticking to the rules and not giving in.fuck money bill he is a grub too.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sbw can put whatever spin he wants but at the end of the day he ditched the club that gave him a chance so him and khoder could make more $$ ill never forgive the guy

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
SBW should hand in his Bulldogs Premiership ring. Traitor. If he was a man he would. But he won’t

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m glad that has been cleared up I can now sleep at night zzzzz

How was it the dogs fault Sonny bought a house he couldn’t afford?