Sonny - Bench Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
With all this concern about Sonny Bill and the fact he should preserve himself to prolong his football career, how about we just use him as an impact player off the bench like last year.
By doing this, we minimise the chance of him being injured whilst strengthening our bench.
At this point in time our bench is very weak and we need someone to stand up and make that all important impact. With Williams off the bench i think it will help us get back into a match if we start to struggle or get off to a bad start. This also minimises injuries to the super star.

Reaction score
they only put him on the field for an average of 45 mins per game anyway ^_^

B

Bwaif

still... I've always preferered sonny off the bench... impact off the bench was key to our success last year

Reaction score
well folkesy will prob put him on the bench when he comes back and realise that sonny needs to stay on the bench =)

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
I think they would like to play him off the bench but have not had the luxury of doing that because of all our injuries and inexperience on the bench at the moment.
Also the fact that he is about to sign a 400K deal may see him start all games when he returns from injury.

Dogs_Goddess™

Miss Perfection
Reaction score
last year.. we had several strong players on our bench including sonny.. and i think that may have been the key to beating the rorters last season.. if we can preserve that by keeping sonny on the bench (and also preventing any further injuries considering hes had 53 weeks out of the past 3 years) then that woudl be great!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
either play Sonny off the Bench or in the Centres and thats where he plays his best footy!!

I argued this with heaps of ppl pre season!!
Most ppl were saying he should start and I said no he should be left for impact off the bench, than everyone else was saying he is too good to start from the bench!!!!

Well, to the ppl who said that.................look at him now!!!!!!!

Nash

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ofcourse he plays his best footy in the centres. He is there out wide anyway. So we are down another forward.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
he probably would have been a bench player anyway if it wasnt for the injuries we had

when everyone returns he will probably resume normal "impact off the bench" duties

we couldnt of had one of the new guys ina starting position while sonny remained on the bench

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
any first grade quality player on the bench will have a huge impact on the game.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Leave the Bulldogs alone you bashers!!!!!!!!!!!
It aint Sonny or anyone elses fault that Pricey signed with the Warriors!!
If Price stayed with the Bulldogs I dont give a **** what anyone says Bulldogs would be undefeated right now

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
GreekGoddess said:
still... I've always preferered sonny off the bench... impact off the bench was key to our success last year
Agreed, Sonny Bill played his best footy from the bench last yuear, the few games he has started he hasnt been as hard hitting and there is always 3 or 4 players running at him, you cant make much of an impact with 4 oposition players hanging off you!
MB

Nick ''Top Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sonny needs another full year on the bench, before he can think of getting a starting postion, im sure sonny will start alot of matches in the future as he is still young, but when we get our full side back this year, id be using him off the bench for impact and also he will get more exprience in the game

Gutty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nick ''Top Dog said:
Sonny needs another full year on the bench, before he can think of getting a starting postion, im sure sonny will start alot of matches in the future as he is still young, but when we get our full side back this year, id be using him off the bench for impact and also he will get more exprience in the game
.......that's why all the other rookies last year are still on the bench ! Get REAL ! your best player don't start on the bench !

Anastabation

Reaction score
When Mason comes back, maybe. But even then I would put asotasi back to the bench and have Mason in the front row.

mickey83

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Play him in the run on squad. We are paying him big money to play so let him. Never heard of a 500,000+ bench player before. He needs education and guidence on how to look after himself.

Bulldog Power

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think lately players almost have been waiting for sonny or braith or shifty to create something rather then trying to power play their way upfield

Being without sonny will hopefully make other players take more responsibility and when sonny comes back, we use him outwide more get him running at backs and poor defenders with his offloads going to fast men rather then fowards

itsrad1

Waterboy
Reaction score
We dont have the luxury of using Sonny off the bench,we are not the same team as last year.The only players from our entire starting pack last year at the moment is Ryan and Grimaldi.We also lost alot of depth in the like of Hutch,Scott and Feeney.
Im sure of the 3 new forwards Folkes only planned on using one as a regular first grader this year but injuries have made things difficult.
It wasnt Sonny that made all the difference lastyear it was the entire bench.
Maitua,Asotasi,Hughes and Sonny were lethal off the bench.
If we were to start Sonny off the bench now we will lose out in the early exchanges.We have to stick it out till we have all players available

A

atomic_crimson

he is eventually going to want to start... if u sit him on the bench to avoid injuries... then ur only delaying the injuries... if there are no injuried sonny will stay on the bench til grimmers retires

Status
Not open for further replies.