Something to smile about

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thank God for our history because that is what is saving our future atm.

If we were unsuccessful inparticular in the 80's & 90's I'd be very surprised if the Bulldogs would still exist, at worst we would have merged by now or not exist at all.
Putting aside our great history, what the GF showed again, is that we are way off the pace. We have been sliding for about 7 years and it has only got worse. I have not so many thrashings as 2023. Sad

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The top 4 are the top 4 because they won their titles when there was only 4 teams lol
There is truth in that as the fewer teams back then were at the park football levels of today. When I was sprinting for Bankstown Sports, I used to look at old Olympic records, and my times would have won gold right up to WWII.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone realizes this but to this day we are the most successful club post 1980. Most premierships and most grand final appearances.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is truth in that as the fewer teams back then were at the park football levels of today. When I was sprinting for Bankstown Sports, I used to look at old Olympic records, and my times would have won gold right up to WWII.
How fast did u post mate

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
How fast did u post mate
On average - just under 11 seconds for the 100 metres and 22 seconds for the 200 metres. But that only got me to Division B and C. Division A was faster, and I was only doing it for fun. Didn't bother me if I was beaten in a race.

The A Division guys had personal trainers, long workouts and special diets, while I just went for a jog around the park after work. I sometimes wonder what I might have achieved had I taken it as seriously as the top squads, but I could never get that serious.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On average - just under 11 seconds for the 100 metres and 22 seconds for the 200 metres. But that only got me to Division B and C. Division A was faster, and I was only doing it for fun. Didn't bother me if I was beaten in a race.

The A Division guys had personal trainers, long workouts and special diets, while I just went for a jog around the park after work. I sometimes wonder what I might have achieved had I taken it as seriously as the top squads, but I could never get that serious.
That’s very quick still. I had a mate who ran similar times with no training also. He could move too. No one could catch him on the footy field

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

If you put that into perspective, you were only 1.4 seconds off the goat bolt. I did similar times and exactly like you never trained or whatever, just did it for fun.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you put that into perspective, you were only 1.4 seconds off the goat bolt. I did similar times and exactly like you never trained or whatever, just did it for fun.
With more work, I could have got my times down, but I was never that committed. It would have required a big lifestyle change, and cost more than I could afford at the time for the training and equipment to make it to the top.

I just loved to run fast, and it was an advantage when I played forward pocket and wing.

I was not popular at the start of football training each year, as the coach used me to set the pace, because I had been running all through the summer at the old ES Marks field, and hadn't slackened off in fitness.

BTW Have you seen how big a gap of 1.4 seconds is over 100 metres?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
With more work, I could have got my times down, but I was never that committed. It would have required a big lifestyle change, and cost more than I could afford at the time for the training and equipment to make it to the top.

I just loved to run fast, and it was an advantage when I played forward pocket and wing.

I was not popular at the start of football training each year, as the coach used me to set the pace, because I had been running all through the summer at the old ES Marks field, and hadn't slackened off in fitness.

As a matter of interest I checked it out. Very surprising....with no professional training etc., still a great time Chris :grinning:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
View attachment 84131

Posted on NRL twitter.
We sit 5th of all time premierships. Look at the Sharks at the bottom and Warriors aren't even there. We'll always be a great club, we're just going through a rough patch.

Warriors fans were giving us shit and gloating about what a great season they had.

You can have a great season but unless you appear on this list, it doesn't matter.
Something further to smile about... the Storm, Broncos and Panthers are all below us.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

what @wendog33 posted is extremely not a bad distance if you think about none of us being professionally trained