Opinion Some Logical reasoning

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For 3 years under pay players were instructed to run hard and play hard skill and footy smarts was coached out of them structure was too difficulty to teach. Yes we looked better and more competitive. But baz has completely ripped the bandaid off the way he wants to play that’s how you win Comps the way pay had us playing you’ll stay in 12th for 20 years without going anyway you have to go through this rough period to get the other side. It’s been 3 games into a whole new club systems playing style and you all actually expected anything different take a legal secretary and make them a lawyer in 3 months IMPOSSIBLE. This shit will take time calm down everyone

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe the players are too dumb and the IQ of the team collectively is so low that's the only way we could play. They're looking like deers in headlights when they're near either try line.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest. Best thing about the start to the season is it proves we lack first grade quality. So you almost don’t re-sign anyone. I was thinking atoni Is a must keep. But you can just put a strike through all the players and hit the recruitment market for 2022.

Also not too sure if people remember, but we were 1 win and 9 losses in our first 10 games on our way to 3 wins and 17 losses. We lost tolman, Foran, CHN, cogger and sue. We replaced them with players that are no better or worse (Waddell and hetherington?). I won’t pass judgment on Flanagan until he gets a dozen games under his belt. Bit harsh on a 22 year old with barely 30 games under his belt to steer a club of park footballers around the field.

You can’t blame Barrett or the board. Also I was saying all along Meaney needs to okay fullback. Funny he played 20 mins there made a big run off a kick return and almost ran for 200m.

It seems Alan’s singing was a mistake. Looks like a younger hoppa. Shame we didn’t use the year to see what averillo or Meaney could do. Instead we locked in a player for 3 years that is no faster then most back rowers (he just couldn’t turn and chase a break at all).

We finished last in 2020 (avoiding the spoon on for And against). I honestly did think we’d be knocking on the door of the top 10. But we lost 3-4 nrl players (including Foran and tolman) and we replaced them with a kid and hetherington. Things will get better guys. Just give it time and trust the process. And if in 12-18 month time we are still on the bottom of the table. Then fingers can be pointed and questions asked.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We HAVE seen what's going on with our team before. It wasn't with our team though. Barrett in his presser alluded to the fact that a teams attack is not something that's the responsibility of any particular individual. So in his reasoning, it's a 13 a side game and each component of a team is responsible for various aspects. The hooker/dummy half must do his job, the props must do their jobs, the edge backrowers must do their job., the halves, fullback, centres and finishers together...everyone forms the attack. If players miss their assignments the attack with fail. Barrett is teaching a holistic approach. The players don't understand it.
So where have we seen this before? The Broncos under Seibold.!!!
Barrett and Seibold are 2 of the smartest guys going around...but I fear their attacking philosophy is NOT how the players learnt how to play footy. So it's not merely that the squad have to unlearn Desball or Payball to buy into the new system, they need to unlearn all they ever learnt as juniors playing footy.
As mentioned, with each passing game we are looking more unsure, disorganised, confused and bewildered. As our middles aren't doing what they need to do our halves have no time to set up our edge backrowers. Our fullback doesn't know where to go, our centres aren't sure what lines to run as the team is not getting to the designated spots on the field.
A commentator said today, maybe it was Brandy, that both us and the Broncos looks too interested in doing particular things, rather than looking up and seeing what's in front of them and playing accordingly. Evidence that the Broncos squad is still suffering from the effects of Seibold and now Barrett is taking us down the same path. We've looked worse in each game. We've been working all pre season on this, but maybe not too many opposed sessions. I don't know that we are capable of turning around what we've had coached into us this past pre season.
This is going to get ugly. Be prepared.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Best summary of coaching issue ATM. Simplified it earlier by saying he's trying to coach shit / stupid players to play how Penrith did... Like you said this gets way worse before it gets better because the coach won't admit he's at some sort of fault as it the players he doesn't want thats Barrett's issue

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its interesting in fact that a few players at Penrith credited Barrett in turning around their attack. Recall a few years ago the scene at Penrith. They had the most talented individuals coming through, but Hook couldn't get the best out of them. Gould got pissed...he said they weren't playing 'heads up' footy. So Ciraldo was brought in then Cleary. A year later I believe, Barrett joined. Nathen Cleary credited Barrett for taking his game to the next level. That's NOT to say that he started playing off the cuff heads up footy...but rather that Barrett could communicate what Nathen needed to do on the field GIVEN THE PREP WORK HIS FORWARDS HAD DONE. Leui is the heads up player at Penrith. That's HIS role.
Penrith are not the brilliant attacking side that Souths, Roosters, Storm (with Grant and Papenheusen) can be, but they get to their spots, they manufacture tries or get repeat sets to tire defences, they have good leg speed, they play fast and have good line speed. Eventually tries come.
Right now we are unlearning what used to work to generate 2 tries a game for us....every game...in order to create a holistic attacking unit that can score 4 or 5 tries a game. But gees....until we get there, until our squad can adapt, or we get the missing links that we need to achieve this....it's gonna be ugly.
How often do you hear Coaches say....yeh sure I'm the coach, but I need to get the right players to do the job, because my predecessor had stuffed the roster...This will take till 2024 probably to create a competitive roster.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
If you had someone from overseas watching the first 3 rounds and then you lined up the teams in playing positions, Dogs, Canberra, Parra etc and then you told them every team (apart from the Roosters) is on the same money and between them they are all getting paid the same - unlike say the EPL - they would look at you like you had 2 heads. They'd be like 'So the Dogs players are getting the same as the Parramatta players? How is that possible?'

Then you look at our line-up and think WTF were the people making the decisions thinking? Look at Souths not wanting to budge on Adam Reynolds who can play the role of half back like a conductor to an orchestra, repeat sets, good kicking options, great goal kicker... and they are only offering a one year contract. We have Jackson who has basically done nothing in the last 2-3 years and we offer him another 3 Year deal on good money, same with Elliot, Hoppa, DWZ.... do we have the stupidest back office operators in the history of the game? Are we so caught up in the whole 'family club' myth that we willingly pay overs and give extended contracts to has-beens just to look good and like family? No wonder we are the laughing stock.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Got nothing , simple.!!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last three weeks have reinforced the fact it is a very weak squad. Many of the 15 off contract would know they have little chance of new contracts anywhere. Some it will inspire others it will make the them less interested. 2022!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you had someone from overseas watching the first 3 rounds and then you lined up the teams in playing positions, Dogs, Canberra, Parra etc and then you told them every team (apart from the Roosters) is on the same money and between them they are all getting paid the same - unlike say the EPL - they would look at you like you had 2 heads. They'd be like 'So the Dogs players are getting the same as the Parramatta players? How is that possible?'

Then you look at our line-up and think WTF were the people making the decisions thinking? Look at Souths not wanting to budge on Adam Reynolds who can play the role of half back like a conductor to an orchestra, repeat sets, good kicking options, great goal kicker... and they are only offering a one year contract. We have Jackson who has basically done nothing in the last 2-3 years and we offer him another 3 Year deal on good money, same with Elliot, Hoppa, DWZ.... do we have the stupidest back office operators in the history of the game? Are we so caught up in the whole 'family club' myth that we willingly pay overs and give extended contracts to has-beens just to look good and like family? No wonder we are the laughing stock.
It's pisses me off that we have plodders like Jackson on huge money, we could have a Fifita or Cam Murray with Jacksons salary . Reminds me of the Tim Mannah situation at Parra, we really need to be ruthless and clear out the deadwood.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hi hear what some are saying regarding we need time to fix what has been broken for a long time but we just played the worst team in the NRL and we didn't score a point and to make things worse they scored well over 20 points against us. I'm trying to stay positive but we play Souths and I think Melbourne next they are a little better than Brisbane. I'm going to have to preload on the bourbon to get through the whole 80mins

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
For 3 years under pay players were instructed to run hard and play hard skill and footy smarts was coached out of them structure was too difficulty to teach. Yes we looked better and more competitive. But baz has completely ripped the bandaid off the way he wants to play that’s how you win Comps the way pay had us playing you’ll stay in 12th for 20 years without going anyway you have to go through this rough period to get the other side. It’s been 3 games into a whole new club systems playing style and you all actually expected anything different take a legal secretary and make them a lawyer in 3 months IMPOSSIBLE. This shit will take time calm down everyone
I could accept the first two rounds as part of our rebuilding with inexperienced troops; but to go down to last year's wooden spooners without scoring a point? That's a bridge too far.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi hear what some are saying regarding we need time to fix what has been broken for a long time but we just played the worst team in the NRL and we didn't score a point and to make things worse they scored well over 20 points against us. I'm trying to stay positive but we play Souths and I think Melbourne next they are a little better than Brisbane. I'm going to have to preload on the bourbon to get through the whole 80mins
Best to not watch; then just look at the lowlights after the game.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

We're not a laughing stock any more. Everyone just feels sorry for us.