Some good players coming through

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Harrison Edwards was excellent yesterday at times...looks like Bobcat Ryan style player with high skills...

Preston is a gun
Young Karl needs to step up now, might as well, Flanagan is not working out at all.

Sam Hughes looked good....Pele has huge ability...Alamotti could be anything...Kiraz a star already
Perhaps CC has worked out Okinbour can't catch so forwards is best suited for him..good move

Good times ahead[emoji1696]

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My theory is Karl will get hes debut at magic round in front of his family and mates as long as his in our top 30 other wise he will have to wait till round 11

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Harrison Edwards was excellent yesterday at times...looks like Bobcat Ryan style player with high skills...

Preston is a gun
Young Karl needs to step up now, might as well, Flanagan is not working out at all.

Sam Hughes looked good....Pele has huge ability...Alamotti could be anything...Kiraz a star already
Perhaps CC has worked out Okinbour can't catch so forwards is best suited for him..good move

No doubt we will be a powerhouse next year.. The biggest plus from this season is all our fringies and kids have now got decent NRL game time which they can build further on given us a more stable team and plenty of very reliable depth.

You can also add Morrin to that list and then we have a few kids like Jordan Semrany which we still havent seen.

Add a system which seems to be working the only thing holding us back atm is injuries and one or two positional changes.

Potential 2024 team and top 30

1.Crighton
2.Kiraz
3.Averillo
4.Alamoti
5.JAC
6.Burton
7.KO
8.King
9.Mahoney
10.TPJ
11.Preston
12.Kikau
13.RFM

14.Sutton
14.Pele
15.Patolo
16.Okunbor
17.Morrin
18.Topine
19.Perham
20.Davey
21.Mataleva-Booth
22.Hughes
23.Kautoga
24.BBO
25.Skelton
26.Xerri
27.Hoffman
28.Edwards
29.Semrani
30. Halve/Hooker

Few kids like Clarke, Rajab,Papa and Hayward might get a look in.

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Preston is a gun

Well said and good to have a change in discussion focusing on the positives - Harrison Edwards and Samuel Hughes didn’t look out of place, particularly Hughes who was bending the line. I felt for Topine being thrust into the centres which is one of the most difficult positions to defend, particularly vs Souths - Kurtis Morrin went hard all game, I really like him as a player.

The Okunbur experiment is working in the forwards, makes sense with his size, leg drive and keeps things simple for him.

Kiraz is Kiraz, 100% effort and determination, my only criticism would be to look for that outside pass a little more like he did in the lead up to Averillo’s try, he creates a lot of overlaps because he often drags In two defenders.

There’s guys like Skelton, Papa and KO (+ others) we’re all keen on seeing in the top grade and would do a job. Exciting times!

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt we will be a powerhouse next year.. The biggest plus from this season is all our fringies and kids have now got decent NRL game time which they can build further on given us a more stable team and plenty of very reliable depth.

You can also add Morrin to that list and then we have a few kids like Jordan Semrany which we still havent seen.

Add a system which seems to be working the only thing hilding us back atm is injuries and one or two positional changes.
Ah yes Morrin, runs hard tackles harder...as long as he doesn't bite [emoji6][emoji109]

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said and good to have a change in discussion focusing on the positives - Harrison Edwards and Samuel Hughes didn’t look out of place, particularly Hughes who was bending the line. I felt for Topine being thrust into the centres which is one of the most difficult positions to defend, particularly vs Souths - Kurtis Morrin went hard all game, I really like him as a player.

The Okunbur experiment is working in the forwards, makes sense with his size, leg drive and keeps things simple for him.

Kiraz is Kiraz, 100% effort and determination, my only criticism would be to look for that outside pass a little more like he did in the lead up to Averillo’s try, he creates a lot of overlaps because he often drags In two defenders.

There’s guys like Skelton, Papa and KO (+ others) we’re all keen on seeing in the top grade and would do a job. Exciting times!
Agreed 100%
I have taken more positives in 5 rounds than the past 5 years, easily

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was looking to the game as an indicator of how we are continuing to improve. Despite the score, I saw a lot to be positive about from our young players.

We were outgunned by a team of international and rep players, who had 60% of the ball, and were up against a side of youngsters who were still finding their feet. inexperience caught us out on the wing after we lost Ado Carr, and I wouldn't worry too much about the six or seven tries they ran down that wing. We will take a lot out of the game, and improve.

I was not as despairing about the loss as I would have been last year. Ciraldo is doing wonders with the players he has available, and we will become stronger when our regulars return from injury and the younger players gain experience.

The Bulldog spirit is back.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gad im not the only one seeing positives from some players we have.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Edwards looked much better than his games last year. He had a bit more power, and he was used as a link a few times and he distributed the ball really well.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My theory is Karl will get hes debut at magic round in front of his family and mates as long as his in our top 30 other wise he will have to wait till round 11
He is in our top 30 according to the clubs website.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Definitely more positives this year than the last 6 lol

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Preston is a gun

Agree. I thought Harrison looked pretty good yesterday. Much better than he did when he played NRL last year

Hughes also looks like he has some potential and importantly has a bit of size about him

I know yesterday did suck and we got walloped but really with an undersize pack of forwards we are always going to struggle against bigger aggressive packs. If you lose the battle in the middle, you never win the game.

I know it's a cliche but there is a reason why most Man of the match interviewees always credit the forwards for the win

At one stage we had Mahoney, Reynolds and Morrin defending in the middle, and we rightly struggled to stop their go forward and also struggled to make metres

One thing that I do like is that Ciraldo doesn't buy into any excuses. He expects any player who pulls on the jersey will do their job regardless if they are player 1 or player 30 in our squad. None of this "these young guys need 50 NRL games" that we continually heard from Pay when we lost.

Ciraldo has much higher expectations and standards

This is the type of culture that we are slowly building and once we start to get some of our big boys back in the middle we will see massive improvement

Yesterday unfortunately was one of the "trips down the mine" that Gus mentioned earlier in the season

But there are still positives to come out of a game like yesterday

And finally, yeah lets get Karl O in there once we get some big boys back in the middle. Young Katoa at the Dolphins is doing the business up there and I think Karl O will do the same for us. Flanagan is killing us

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree. I thought Harrison looked pretty good yesterday. Much better than he did when he played NRL last year

Hughes also looks like he has some potential and importantly has a bit of size about him

I know yesterday did suck and we got walloped but really with an undersize pack of forwards we are always going to struggle against bigger aggressive packs. If you lose the battle in the middle, you never win the game.

I know it's a cliche but there is a reason why most Man of the match interviewees always credit the forwards for the win

At one stage we had Mahoney, Reynolds and Morrin defending in the middle, and we rightly struggled to stop their go forward and also struggled to make metres

One thing that I do like is that Ciraldo doesn't buy into any excuses. He expects any player who pulls on the jersey will do their job regardless if they are player 1 or player 30 in our squad. None of this "these young guys need 50 NRL games" that we continually heard from Pay when we lost.

Ciraldo has much higher expectations and standards

This is the type of culture that we are slowly building and once we start to get some of our big boys back in the middle we will see massive improvement

Yesterday unfortunately was one of the "trips down the mine" that Gus mentioned earlier in the season

But there are still positives to come out of a game like yesterday

And finally, yeah lets get Karl O in there once we get some big boys back in the middle. Young Katoa at the Dolphins is doing the business up there and I think Karl O will do the same for us. Flanagan is killing us
You’re spot on with everything there

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Edwards looked much better than his games last year. He had a bit more power, and he was used as a link a few times and he distributed the ball really well.
He dug into the line deep too, played well.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Michael Gabrael - who played his first flegg game yesterday is a very good outside back - quick agile good defender and not afraid of the physicality.

Most clubs have players who can stand out and look the goods in lower grades - the better clubs through coaching etc develop them so they can do it in fg.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Michael Gabrael - who played his first flegg game yesterday is a very good outside back - quick agile good defender and not afraid of the physicality.

Most clubs have players who can stand out and look the goods in lower grades - the better clubs through coaching etc develop them so they can do it in fg.
He’s Top 30 next year or the year after