Opinion So where the hell has Trent Robinson been since Magic Round?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Panthers v Roosters: Trent Robinson demands answers from NRL over Siosiua Taukeiaho sin-binning

Fed-up Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has called on the NRL to clear up the confusion over its high-tackle crackdown after Siosiua Taukeiaho was sin-binned in Friday’s 38-12 loss to the Penrith Panthers.

The Roosters lock forward was marched for 10 minutes in the 23rd minute of the Round 15 clash for a high shot on Nathan Cleary.

Replays showed Cleary slipped on the wet Panthers Stadium surface and fell into the tackle of Taukeiaho, who made forceful contact with the Penrith superstar’s head.

Cleary stayed on the field and the Roosters, who led 12-6 at the time, conceded 14 points in Taukeiaho’s absence.

“I just, I don’t know where Siosiua was supposed to go,” Robinson said. “Is he supposed to jump out of the way? I’m interested in what, what he supposed to do?” “… Everybody saw that he was slipping and slipping a lot, Siosiua’s arm was right down by his side, and he was going to make a tackle (on a player) that was running the ball close to your tryline. “And he (Cleary) slips, on a wet night, so it’s just, yeah, anyway.”
Referee Ashley Klein told Taukeiaho there were ‘no mitigating factors there’ as he gave him his marching orders.

“I mean I thought Ashley was quite clear there and then obviously quite confused, if that was the case,” the coach said of Klein’s explanation.
Robinson laid the blame on the Bunker, declaring the NRL has effectively reverted to the two-referee model, and demanded an explanation from the governing body.

“Look, Ashley (Klein) was fine with it and then The Bunker decides to jump in again,” he said. “We’ve gone back to two referees again, we wanted to get away from it, now they’ve jumped back in. “Ashley knew, he looked at it on the replay and then they (The Bunker) looked at it on the replay an said no you’ve got to send him off. “I’m interested like, physically what could have Siosiua, what did you want him to do there?

“What movement, what actual movement would you have liked him to do there and I think the NRL needs to explain what happens in those instances. “You know, what do they want them to do? I’d be interested to know.”

Meanwhile, Robinson suggested the Roosters were the victim of a double standard after what he claimed was an alleged shoulder charge on Joey Manu in the first-half went unpunished by both Klein and the Bunker.

“Everyone knows what they (the NRL) are doing and let’s look after our players and we all agree with it but they’re picking and choosing and I’ve been disappointed from a Roosters (perspective) with the way they’ve been picking and choosing (what to penalise) this year,” he said.
“There’s no one on report, nothing gets seen to. I have to get Joey Manu off during that period as well, but The Bunker doesn’t go back and look at that, so yeah.”

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So this has been going on since Magic Round with players falling & getting hit high & only when it's one of his players does he speak up. If he is such a high profile figure in the game he should have said this well before now & he would have credibility.

The NRL have said that it now doesn't matter if a player falls a foot in a split second, it will still get charged.

I happen to agree with Robinson, but he should have spoken up earlier. Accidents occur in sport & this is an example.

Live with it Robinson or get the rule changed for everybody, not just your chooks. If you have such a strong case then challenge it at the judiciary. Will the NRL show they are corrupt or consistent?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this has been going on since Magic Round with players falling & getting hit high & only when it's one of his players does he speak up. If he is such a high profile figure in the game he should have said this well before now & he would have credibility.

The NRL have said that it now doesn't matter if a player falls a foot in a split second, it will still get charged.

I happen to agree with Robinson, but he should have spoken up earlier. Accidents occur in sport & this is an example.

Live with it Robinson or get the rule changed for everybody, not just your chooks. If you have such a strong case then challenge it at the judiciary. Will the NRL show they are corrupt or consistent?
He has on multiple occasions. He was on NRL 360 a few weeks back right after magic round saying the Cowboys player should not have been binned for his hit on a falling Tedesco. And he again made mention of the inconsistency after last week's game against the Titans when Proctor hit Manu high and received nothing and the reason being is that Manu got up and didn't stay down. The ref even said after our captain questioned it "I'm not sending him to the bin cause the player got up". That was never part of the rule change so Robbo questioned it again.

The problem is we always get the same thing from the NRL, excuses and spin.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I liked the comment from last night, that we should start referring to them as the "Bin Chickens".

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I hate the Roosters I have to agree with Trent Robinson that what are players supposed to do when players slip, drop their body height and get hit high by a player clearly preparing for a tackle around the chest or stomach. I have not seen the Cleary incident but saw a clip this morning of the one where Aiden Tolman got hit and if that is a sin bun, then I am an astronaut.

The question being asked by coaches, many ex players of just what exactly is the defender supposed to do has not been answered by anyone in the corridors of power at NRL headquarters. Clearly they have NFI what the answer is.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of Rugby League intelligence by people in high places at the NRl. The ARL commission would have agreed to these changes on the run. As I have said before on TK the ARLC is clearly out of balance and out of touch with the reality of how the game is played. The ARLC is full of business people, probably well intentioned but apart from one person, Wayne Pearce have never been involved as a player, coach or club admin employee at NRL level.

We need to get some people on THE ARLC who have specific experience of the game, particularly the rules of the game and the way coaches might try to exploit them. Too many of the ARLC are obviously out of their depth.

I would like to see on the ARLC

A retired referee.
A former club CEO
A retired coach

All of whom have great knowledge of the game and can be impartial at all time.

At the moment NRL admin sucks.

And that is being kind.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has on multiple occasions. He was on NRL 360 a few weeks back right after magic round saying the Cowboys player should not have been binned for his hit on a falling Tedesco. And he again made mention of the inconsistency after last week's game against the Titans when Proctor hit Manu high and received nothing and the reason being is that Manu got up and didn't stay down. The ref even said after our captain questioned it "I'm not sending him to the bin cause the player got up". That was never part of the rule change so Robbo questioned it again.

The problem is we always get the same thing from the NRL, excuses and spin.
I haven't heard him say 1 word about any of our players getting sent off or binned.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I hate the Roosters I have to agree with Trent Robinson that what are players supposed to do when players slip, drop their body height and get hit high by a player clearly preparing for a tackle around the chest or stomach. I have not seen the Cleary incident but saw a clip this morning of the one where Aiden Tolman got hit and if that is a sin bun, then I am an astronaut.

The question being asked by coaches, many ex players of just what exactly is the defender supposed to do has not been answered by anyone in the corridors of power at NRL headquarters. Clearly they have NFI what the answer is.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of Rugby League intelligence by people in high places at the NRl. The ARL commission would have agreed to these changes on the run. As I have said before on TK the ARLC is clearly out of balance and out of touch with the reality of how the game is played. The ARLC is full of business people, probably well intentioned but apart from one person, Wayne Pearce have never been involved as a player, coach or club admin employee at NRL level.

We need to get some people on THE ARLC who have specific experience of the game, particularly the rules of the game and the way coaches might try to exploit them. Too many of the ARLC are obviously out of their depth.

I would like to see on the ARLC

A retired referee.
A former club CEO
A retired coach

All of whom have great knowledge of the game and can be impartial at all time.

At the moment NRL admin sucks.

And that is being kind.
Just look at last week with Hetherington. He didn't have time to react let alone get out of the way & he was sent off!

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just look at last week with Hetherington. He didn't have time to react let alone get out of the way & he was sent off!
Absolutely correct chisdog. I thought a fine rather than a suspension was fair. I have just heard that Robson was not charged from last night's game.

Shows the match review panel made up in the main of ex players is more switched on than the big shots sitting in their ivory towers making stupid decisions.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If everyone was on board that actually had some power (Gus, coaches) maybe they could put some pressure on the NRL to ease back on sin bins for unintentional infringements. These blokes have the media in their hands and are the only ones that can apply pressure because the NRL dont care what the fans think.
Problem is you have blokes like Freddy that cant see reason.
Sure player protection is of the utmost importance but there will always be accidents playing contact sports.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't heard him say 1 word about any of our players getting sent off or binned.
He's not going to mention every instance of inconsistency else his pressers would go for 3 days. But when he says the NRL needs to be clear about the rulings he's not just talking us, he's talking the whole of game.